Losing from hips

Hi all

I know it's impossible to spot reduce fat however all I need to do is lose a few inches round my hips, so while I'm concentrating on overall weightloss, can anyone recommend any exercises that slim the hips and bum?

Thanks xx

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited May 2015
    You know you can spot reduce, but look for exercises to spot reduce?

As you lose weight, you lose muscle too. If you want to save muscle and have a more aesthetic look around your hips/thigh/butt area-you can weight train. Squats, dead lifts, glute bridge. Just to name a few. But if you're going to to that you might as well do a full body program.

That fall will still fall off where it pleases. I lifted heavy all through my weight loss and lost 6 inches around my hips. Took about 30 pounds.
  • sineadt84
    sineadt84 Posts: 51 Member
    Ah I always heard/read that you can't spot reduce so I'm working on a full body programme. I'd actually prefer *not* to lose weight elsewhere so I'm wary of losing too much when all I want to do is slim my hips (to fit in a dress!). Thanks!
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Yeah, you can't choose where fat is lost. Isolation moves work the muscles underneath fat but does nothing to remove the fat overtop the muscles. Where we lose fat comes down to genetics. Best thing you can do is lose weight slowly, get a good amount of protein, and do some form of resistance training.

I had to live with the fact I have a large rib cage. As I got leaner, my ribs started showing more visibly, even though I'm in the middle range for my height in weight. Nothing you or I can do to change genetics. Just have patience and understanding that we all are unique and have our own body shapes.

Why not buy a dress that fits your shape?
  • arditarose
    sineadt84 wrote: »
    Ah I always heard/read that you can't spot reduce so I'm working on a full body programme. I'd actually prefer *not* to lose weight elsewhere so I'm wary of losing too much when all I want to do is slim my hips (to fit in a dress!). Thanks!

Oh, good you already started! What program are you doing? Maybe work a good program with a .5 lb per week weight loss (assuming you're at a place where it's safe to lose a few more pounds). If not, maybe try a recomp.
  • sineadt84
    Re the dress, it's my wedding dress. It fit me when I ordered it 9 months ago but I've put on 1.5 inches round my bum and hips since (and nowhere else!). I don't think my programme has a name, I go to the gym 4 times a week mixing cardio (classes, treadmill, crosstrainer) with resistance machines.
  • sineadt84
    It's a very tight-fitting dress!!
  • arditarose
    Re the dress, it's my wedding dress. It fit me when I ordered it 9 months ago but I've put on 1.5 inches round my bum and hips since (and nowhere else!). I don't think my programme has a name, I go to the gym 4 times a week mixing cardio (classes, treadmill, crosstrainer) with resistance machines.

Ah, okay. You have a few pounds to lose then. Keep your deficit up, it'll come off.
  • arditarose
    It's a very tight-fitting dress!!

When's the wedding?
  • sineadt84
    September, so I have time!