Seeking quick, tasty, healthy lunch recipes

JonL12345
JonL12345 Posts: 2 Member
I work from home and typically, I end up getting a sandwich from the local shop, going for a panini, having a ready meal or something else unhealthy. With this in mind, I would like to expand my repertoire to include more healthy meals, with lower calories too! I don't mind even if they are slightly lower calories. Its just a kick in the right direction towards better eating.

With this in mind, do you have any recommendations for quick, tasty lunches I can make whilst at home?

Thanks,

Jon

Replies

• mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    I recently made a bunch of (fairly small) burritos and froze them, and intend to have them for easy lunches/dinners in the future. It doesn't take that long to make a whole lot of them. I made some refried beans (but can use canned), mexican rice, baked and shredded some chicken, and threw in some corn and cheese as well.

I also often make casseroles specifically for lunches, and eat them for like a week. If you aren't the type to eat the same thing for days in a row, you can scoop it into individual servings and freeze those. You don't necessarily have to think "lunch" food - anything can be lunch. I like to make "dinner" type things. Your being at home actually makes it easier.

This is a casserole I make all the time, since super easy and tasty: Lazy chicken enchilada casserole. I reduce the cheese and use 6-8 tortillas instead of 12, and a serving of around 1.5 cups (I don't measure by volume so only estimating here), around 220-250 cal, is quite satisfying.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    I make two or three big batches of soup and freeze them in individual portions. No lunch? Grab one and go!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Whilest you are home, think of sandwiches as containers for a great salad. Buy some flatbread, or some flavored tortillas, and just fill them with anything. I like taking a whole wheat pita pocket, slicing some crisp apples thin, some grilled chicken cut thin, some celery cut thin...and just toss some olive oil, a bit of fat free dressing, salt and pepper, and start layering it all in the pita. The richness of the chicken, plus the salty of the celery, and sweetness of the apple is heaven. :-)
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    I usually go between chicken breast pan cooked with different spices or a burrito bowl which I usually have 4-6 oz of ground sirlion and half a cup of chili beans with cheese and sour cream. You can add whatever you like. Tortilla pizza basically pizza on a tortilla. All under 500 cals most under 300 cals. Leftovers or I sometimes make ham and bean soup and eat it through the week.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    You work at home! You could literally eat anything, fit it into your calorie goal. Sounds great.

This week I'm bringing mexican shrimp salads to work. Lettuce, black beans, shrimp, avocado, tomato, cheese, with cholula chipotle hot sauce. I didn't taste it though but...sounds good?
  • blue_eyes1978
    blue_eyes1978 Posts: 127 Member
    I have been really enjoying salmon patties, or tuna fish, and salads with avocados in them. I my self have even added chick peas black beans and lentils into my salads to add a bit of bulk to them and make them a little more filling. I am always interested in new ideas myself so I will keep checking back hopefully you gets lots of yummy ideas!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I have been really enjoying salmon patties, or tuna fish, and salads with avocados in them. I my self have even added chick peas black beans and lentils into my salads to add a bit of bulk to them and make them a little more filling. I am always interested in new ideas myself so I will keep checking back hopefully you gets lots of yummy ideas!

I have to remember this. And you reminded me I was going to cook salmon this week and completely forgot it at the store.
  • JonL12345
    JonL12345 Posts: 2 Member
    For salad dressings, I have been using virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and honey. Yummy! Any alternatives?
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    I have been making hummus power bowls for lunch. Great with leftover grilled, poached or baked chicken, or tuna right out of the can. I want to try shrimp soon. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/05/hummus-power-bowls.html
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    JonL12345 wrote: »
    For salad dressings, I have been using virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and honey. Yummy! Any alternatives?

It depends what you are after. It's usually harder to make a yummy salad dressing that is lower calorie than the lighter store bought options. So, if calories are the primary concern (rather than ingredients), I'd suggest just buying a lower calorie dressing that you like. I like Kraft fruit & veg berry balsamic (this), which is 30 cal/tbsp, for example.
  • hollyanngeloconnell
    hollyanngeloconnell Posts: 1 Member
    I have been in this lunch phase where I stuff everything I would normally stuff into a sandwich. BUT!!! Instead of Bread I wrap it up in Romaine lettuce. I have done breakfast egg "burritos" rolled up in romaine, turkey, you name it!!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    I have been in this lunch phase where I stuff everything I would normally stuff into a sandwich. BUT!!! Instead of Bread I wrap it up in Romaine lettuce. I have done breakfast egg "burritos" rolled up in romaine, turkey, you name it!!

oooh using the big Butter Lettuce works good too. When I was stationed in Japan they would brown hamburger, all spicy and fold them into pockets putting each side in. Eating a sandwich from the inside out so to speak eh?
  • lsg5288
    lsg5288 Posts: 2 Member
    I bake homemade chicken nuggets and freeze 4 per bag. Found the recipe on Pinterest
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    edited May 2015
    Anything that keeps well in the fridge is a plus. If I have the time, I make sandwiches but they are a pain to make because I have to make them on the morining itself, and they go soggy fast - unless they are cold cuts.
    I find chunky soups packed with crusty bread separately great. Casseroles and stews are a big plus because they are filling, they don't stink up the place and they heat well. Plus the flavours really develop when they've sat in a fridge overnight. Rice/pulse/grain dishes are great too - fried rice, rice n' beans, couscous, etc work really well. I don't really do the leafy type salads much because of the food poisoning risk tbh, but I do sometimes do healthy bean salads, pasta salads with more 'salad' than pasta :smile:
    My favourite would have to be bento box style lunches. They are well-portioned, you can add sweet and savoury in there and it can be easily packed and prepared beforehand. And always add a small piece of fruit for a mid-lunch snack. It really helps with the sweet craving and the 5-a-day.

See: http://www.easylunchboxes.com/blog/adult-bento-lunch-box-ideas-for-work-for-man-or-big-kids/