Am I not eating enough, too much or is my diet not the problem.

First off I am 35, 5'9, 195lb Male. I am on week 4 of a hybrid of the Insanity and P90x workouts 5-6 days per week. Although I am in much better shape and getting stronger I don't seem to be losing weight or flab and I think it could be my diet. I hate to cook and only like to eat things that I can pull out of the fridge and eat. Here is a regular day any feedback would be helpful.

Breakfast
2-Activia non fat yogurts 120Cal 0Fat 20Carb 8Prot
1-Hard boiled egg 70Cal 4.5Fat 1Carb 6Prot
2-Breakstone Cottage Cheese 160Cal 0Fat 16Carb 22Prot
1-Gold Standard Whey Protein 120Cal 1Fat 3Carb 24Prot
2-Crunchy Salted Peanut Butter with Flax and Chia Seeds 170Cal 14Fat 7Carb 7Prot

Snack
2-Activia non fat yogurts 120Cal 0Fat 20Carb 8Prot

Lunch
2-Crunchy Salted Peanut Butter with Flax and Chia Seeds 170Cal 14Fat 7Carb 7Prot
1-Ezikiel Bread 80Cal .5Fat 15Carb 4Prot
1-Hard boiled egg 70Cal 4.5Fat 1Carb 6Prot
2-Classic mixed vegetables 120Cal 0Fat 20Carb 4Prot

Pre Workout Snack
2-Ezikiel Bread 160Cal 1Fat 30Carb 8Prot

After Workout
2-Powder Gatorade Mix 160Cal 0Fat 42 Carb 0Prot

Dinner
1-Hard boiled egg 140Cal 9Fat 2Carb 12Prot
4-Smoked Turkey Breast (Oscar Mayer Deli Fresh 200Cal 4Fat 4Carb 36Prot

Total Nutrition Facts-Cal 2,440 Fat-57(15mono/Poly) Carb-228 Prot-246 Sugar-133 Sodium-5,668

Work out Monday-P90X Chest and Back Tuesday-Insanity Plyometric Cardio Wednesday-P90X Arms and Shoulders Thursday-Insanity Pure Cardio Friday-Rest Saturday-P90X Legs and Back-Sunday-Hockey or Plyometrics.

According to the book I should be eating 3200 calories to maintain weight and I have added a deficit in there to lose. What am I doing wrong should I be eating more/Less/different? Thank you for any help in advance

BTW I am measuring and weighing the food I eat so I know I am putting down the correct numbers. Also I know I am a little high on Sugar and Sodium but I don't feel like that should be making this much of a difference.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited May 2015
    If you weren't eating enough, you'd still be losing weight.

How long has it been since you lost? If it's only been since you began Insanity, I'd say you're probably retaining water from the increased exercise. Also, you say you weigh and measure...are you weighing everything? And yes, the sodium does make a difference since that's close to 2.5 times what MFP gives you, so I'd probably work on finding ways to lower that. If that means cooking your own meals, it's probably what you'll have to do.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Did you exercise prior to starting Insanity and P90X?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Please open your dairy.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    You may want to re-calculate. Your TDEE is more than likely about 2500, max. I ran your stats through Fitness Frog, Scooby and IIFYM TDEE calculators and two of the three were lower than 2500.

So, if you are eating right at that amount, it's no wonder you are maintaining.

Why not drop a couple hundred calories a day for a few weeks and see if you start losing.

55835802.png
  • Sarauk2sf
    sodakat wrote: »
    You may want to re-calculate. Your TDEE is more than likely about 2500, max. I ran your stats through Fitness Frog, Scooby and IIFYM TDEE calculators and two of the three were lower than 2500.

So, if you are eating right at that amount, it's no wonder you are maintaining.

Why not drop a couple hundred calories a day for a few weeks and see if you start losing.

55835802.png

Did you put in the correct stats? My TDEE is that and I am older, female, lighter an likely less active. I ran his stats and came out with nearer 3,000, which is more like maintenance I have seen for someone of the same approx. stats and activity level.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    In my opinion, that's a LOT of sodium (if the 5,668 is reflective of your daily intake) and you could be retaining water. More healthy fat seems like a good idea as well. What about fiber? Toggle the sugar off for a second and see what the fiber intake is.

I'm no cook, either. I often sauté up some eggs/egg whites and pair them with frozen veggies I cook in the microwave. Doesn't take much more effort to pull something out of the freezer and toss it in the microwave. :smile:
  • Ladymiko
    Ladymiko Posts: 6 Member
    Lower your sodium and also be careful of how much dairy you are having because it is only good in moderation. Instead of the two yogurts for snack, throw in a protein bar so that you can still get what you need. Cottage cheese is good for muscle recovery, so try to have it after your work out, but not so many times throughout the day. The amount of dairy you are having is a bit much with the combination of the yogurt and cottage cheese. Also something that can be very helpful is having oatmeal in the morning. It keeps you full longer while also giving good benefits to alertness as well. I wouldn't worry about the carbs and proteins as much since you are working out to burn them. Out of curiosity, are you taking any supplements as well, aside from the whey?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Ladymiko wrote: »
    Lower your sodium and also be careful of how much dairy you are having because it is only good in moderation. Instead of the two yogurts for snack, throw in a protein bar so that you can still get what you need. Cottage cheese is good for muscle recovery, so try to have it after your work out, but not so many times throughout the day. The amount of dairy you are having is a bit much with the combination of the yogurt and cottage cheese. Also something that can be very helpful is having oatmeal in the morning. It keeps you full longer while also giving good benefits to alertness as well. I wouldn't worry about the carbs and proteins as much since you are working out to burn them. Out of curiosity, are you taking any supplements as well, aside from the whey?

What is wrong with the amount of dairy? What detrimental effects would it have?

I am not sure what you mean 'working to burn them out' re carbs and protein.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Regarding the specifics of what you are eating, I would up the veggies and add some fruit in. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but your protein does not need to be that high - I would swap the calories out for more fruits and veggies.
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    I lost nothing my first month of insanity but then went on to lose 18lbs the second month. Might just take time?
  • Sarauk2sf
    I lost nothing my first month of insanity but then went on to lose 18lbs the second month. Might just take time?

When you start exercising, you retain water in the muscle. It can last up to 4 weeks (sometimes even 6) and can mask fat loss.