not sure which board to out this on

Options
Needing a little help please

I try to eat breakfast
A small snack
Lunch
A small snack
And dinner

But I workout at lunch so when should I drink my protein shake ? And when I should eat I am trying to figure out a new routine please

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Fat loss? For fat loss it doesn't matter when you eat, just how much.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    The protein shake doesnt really have anything to do with weight loss. But ive been told i should drink my protein immediately post workout, like within 10minutes for best results. Its supposed to aid the muscles (i think something like that).

As far as meal times, i believe it doesnt matter. I eat whenever, so long as im under my calorie goal.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    The protein shake doesnt really have anything to do with weight loss. But ive been told i should drink my protein immediately post workout, like within 10minutes for best results. Its supposed to aid the muscles (i think something like that).

As far as meal times, i believe it doesnt matter. I eat whenever, so long as im under my calorie goal.

Post workout protein has been shown to stimulate protein synthesis and slows proteolysis. So it's a good idea to get some protein in post workout like you said. 10 minutes is probably not right, you can probably go an hour or two after workout, not sure how much research has been done on the "anabolic window", maybe someone else can comment.
  • fat2fit1981
    fat2fit1981 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    1700 calories and I want to lose 50 pounds not sure about macros? Doing t25 and going to the gym 4 days a week on top of the t25 other than that I sit at a desk most the time at work and for school
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    1700 calories and I want to lose 50 pounds not sure about macros? Doing t25 and going to the gym 4 days a week on top of the t25 other than that I sit at a desk most the time at work and for school

Are you doing cardio or resistance training at the gym?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Post workout protein has been shown to stimulate protein synthesis and slows proteolysis. So it's a good idea to get some protein in post workout like you said. 10 minutes is probably not right, you can probably go an hour or two after workout, not sure how much research has been done on the "anabolic window", maybe someone else can comment.

The anabolic window is a bit of a misnomer - its more like 24 hours, However, it is generally a good idea to get some protein within a couple hours of your workout, earlier if you train fasted.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

The anabolic window is a bit of a misnomer - its more like 24 hours, However, it is generally a good idea to get some protein within a couple hours of your workout, earlier if you train fasted.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I expected.
  • fat2fit1981
    Options
    We do 3 sets of 15 on 3 machines (the gym is not very big or have much) then we walk/ run a mile more walking than running
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    We do 3 sets of 15 on 3 machines (the gym is not very big or have much) then we walk/ run a mile more walking than running

Do you have any free weights? Not to offend, but that sounds like a waste of time.
  • fat2fit1981
    Options
    No there are only those machines and no free weights and I wonder about what I am doing if it is a waste of time. What can I do to build more weights without machines
  • galgenstrick
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I should elaborate.

The goal of losing weight is to lose fat without losing a significant amount of muscle. We can do that by eating in a moderate calorie deficit, eating a diet high in protein, and doing regular resistance training. You need all three of those things for it to work.

The resistance training part needs to work your major muscle groups, something the machines at the gym will not do. You can use compound, heavy lifting such as squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc. to target large muscle groups. If you don't like that idea, then you can do body-weight exercises as long as they are challenging and focus on those same large muscle groups. The machines typically focus on isolating muscles, and are used to train certain weak points in your body. Since you are a beginner, then your whole body will be "weak" and you need to train the whole body. The best and most time efficient way to do that is by doing the compound movements I listed.
  • rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Any exercise you do is better than doing none. No exercise you have got up and completed is ever a waste of time.
  • rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Any exercise you do is better than doing none. No exercise you have got up and completed is ever a waste of time.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    "Oh, the protein shake.
    Drink it whenever you like.
    It doesn't matter."

Sorry....the first post got me thinking in haiku form.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

From what I've read, it is more like 30-45 minutes max, but you don't even need a protein shake if you eat a meal with protein in it within that period. The only reason you would want a protein shake would be because you might not be able to have a meal that quickly.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

From what I've read, it is more like 30-45 minutes max, but you don't even need a protein shake if you eat a meal with protein in it within that period. The only reason you would want a protein shake would be because you might not be able to have a meal that quickly.

The window is much longer. Even looking at 'optimal' MPS, you do not need to get it within 45 mins, assuming you are not training fasted.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3577439/
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    "Oh, the protein shake.
    It doesn't matter."

<3
  • fat2fit1981
    Options
    "Oh, the protein shake.
    It doesn't matter."

<3

love it lol :)