Here in Oregon

Options
Hello All,

I joined this past week after watching the scale creep up over the past ten years... one little pound at a time until it was suddenly 30!!! My goal is to get all of the 30 off.

I love staying active. My husband and I are regular early morning gym people. Walk the dogs several times a day, hiking, etc. But I also love food.

I am open for any advice or even just friendly "hellos".

Sarah

Replies

• halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Howdy. I'm in southern Oregon, along the 5. The thing that really did it for me was cycling and Bend has a lot of great cycling to be done, from what I hear—haven't really been out there in a very, very long time so I couldn't say.

As far as loving food ... I get that. Another thing that really helped me was, whenever I had a craving or a sweet-tooth, I would eat a banana or orange. Pretty difficult to get too crazy and over your calories if you're eating a decent meal and only filling your snacks/cravings with a piece of fruit :)

Other than that, it's really just a matter of counting your calories. If you don't have one, you might want to invest in a food scale. There's a good conversation about scales over here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10163726/all-this-talk-about-food-scales/p1

It can be very beneficial to weigh your food, it'll keep you closer to your calories and, as such, goals.

Good luck!
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    Hello from a native Oregonian transplanted to Arizona.
  • SarahSwoffer
    SarahSwoffer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    "Howdy. I'm in southern Oregon, along the 5. The thing that really did it for me was cycling and Bend has a lot of great cycling to be done, from what I hear—haven't really been out there in a very, very long time so I couldn't say."

Hello! :smiley:

Thank you for the good advice. A little over one week in and it has actually been fun. Crazy word for calorie counting. But it is kind of a strategy game. I have a scale too. Thanks for the link. I also connected to a pedometer app and that has really encouraged adding steps throughout my day.

We do have great mountain bike trails here.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Just let the good things you're doing develop into habits and it'll make it easier to follow through.

Hope you're weekend was nice. (I spent mine weeding out my yard. Very fulfilling :))
  • HighCascadesDrifter
    HighCascadesDrifter Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello from the Oregon Coast, Newport to be exact. My Wife and I were married in Bend 9 years ago and still love to visit. I can relate with you about pounds creeping up. We moved to the Oregon Coast from the Willamette Valley (My Wife and I are both from there) in 2010 and I weighed a little over 250 pounds at 6'2".

When I graduated High School I weighed 185. After a knee surgery I started tweaking my diet and working out consistently. I wanted to change my appearance but more than that I wanted to feel better about myself.

Last year my scale read 187 pounds for awhile. My energy levels were finally through the roof. I slept like a baby and felt a confidence I had only known as a teenager.

I have since decided to put on a little more muscle but still eating very clean and staying trim.

Nice to hear from a fellow Oregonian and good luck with your goals. Remember consistency is king.