Binge Eating help?

Options
Lately I am having the HARDEST time not over-eating. It seems like any time I am at home, I go right for the kitchen and snack on everything I see. It happens a lot, even after I just got done eating a meal, so I know my body is not actually hungry. It is getting so hard, and is effecting me emotionally. I know that there is no way I can loose weight- no matter how well I work out, unless I fix this. Any tips/advice??
Thanks!

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    are you binge eating because it's a habit? Or are you legitimately hungry?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Nothing we can do. Just have to stop doing it.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Lately I am having the HARDEST time not over-eating. It seems like any time I am at home, I go right for the kitchen and snack on everything I see. It happens a lot, even after I just got done eating a meal, so I know my body is not actually hungry. It is getting so hard, and is effecting me emotionally. I know that there is no way I can loose weight- no matter how well I work out, unless I fix this. Any tips/advice??
    Thanks!

For goodness sakes, stop buying high calorie snacks! Since your binging seems to happen at night, eat a low-cal but filling breakfast (Greek yogurt, boiled egg), a low cal lunch (salad with low cal dressing), and a fulfilling dinner. This is what helped me. Plus I keep absolutely no snacks around the house to tempt me.

It's you are the pounds. Only you can decide :smile:
  • ivylaurenolsen
    ivylaurenolsen Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Because it is just a bad habit...I am kind of an emotional eater
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

I'm the same way. I had 3 failed weight loss attempts in the past because of it. I had to deal with the stress in my life first, before I was successful with taking control of my health.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    You could try something to see if you have a food addiction, which could be broken in a similar way to getting off caffeine.
    Just go back to the basics:
    Eat non-starchy veggies (leafy greens, carrots, broccoli, etc etc), proteins like beef, fish, chicken, eggs, vegan grain-free protein drinks like pea protein, and healthy fats such as coconut oil, ghee, avocado, nuts and seeds.
    Eat only the above foods for a number of days, say, 2 weeks.
    Exclude dairy, grains, fruit and sugars.
    This will eliminate all foods to which you may be experiencing addiction, while providing your body with lots of nutrients.
    I did this starting this last March. In three days I had a totally normal appetite. After about a week, I did not crave any foods any more. I have continued this diet until just last week when i began to include a little grains. That whole time, I never went off my diet, nor did I binge, nor did I even want to. I am so happy with the results, I lost almost 20lbs! I am within 10lbs of my goal weight now.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Okay,

A) Identify the emotional triggers, and the external events that influence you to experience those emotions, and see if there aren't strategies you could use to avoid emotionally stressful experiences going forward.

B') If you enjoy the experience of snacking a lot, I would highly suggest getting into powerlifting or some kind of weight training regimen. You can eat as much as you want Guys **kitten** about how much they have to eat when they are training.

I'm one of those guys. So..

If you're not happy, change something. Head towards happy. And if you lie to yourself and try and cover it up with half truth's that you tell yourself, you'll wind up back here again.

But there's always an awesome solution!! =)
  • galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I'm the same way. I had 3 failed weight loss attempts in the past because of it. I had to deal with the stress in my life first, before I was successful with taking control of my health.

This. Think about what's changed recently to try to figure out what's your trigger for binging. Try to pick up exercise, even if it's just doing a yoga youtube video or walking around the neighborhood, or do something else to get your mind off of food. There's only so much help we can give, you really have to find the willpower within yourself. Don't let the food control you :smile: You've got this!
  • coraborealis80
    coraborealis80 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I put all of my snacks in a TARDIS cookie jar. Now, any time I want a sweet, the sound of the TARDIS swoops in to shame me into thinking. Also, it alerts everyone in the house as to what I am doing. That thing is loud. But, I keep my fridge full of berries and apples and other snacking fruits and veggies. I figure if I'm going to binge, it can at least be healthier food.

I also took up yoga. When I want to eat, but I'm not hungry, I have to do a 15 minute sequence first. Usually, by the time I'm done, I no longer want the food.

GL!
  • DanikaDawn2015
    DanikaDawn2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My fiance is pre-med and sort of explained this to me. When we start to lose weight our bodies will basically freak out, thinking our weight loss is a sign of starvation, so it goes into survival mode. That means until we balance ourselves and get used to the new calorie/exercise routine we have this physical need to eat as much as we can whenever possible in order to "survive". If you can power through this it will be worth it! Your body will adapt and it will get easier. Good luck!
  • Geciorek
    Geciorek Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ur hungry ?
    Prepare yourself a carrots, right now to eat and snack em :! (carrot fries , or anything that your mind goes into, I`d say carrot + apple grated and mixed is great :!)
    They have low calories and are great for your health ...
    Next advice ... your hungry ? Drink water water water :!.
    Next ? Drink diet coke or sth like that :!
    Next ? Dont think about food and find something else to do ... :).
    Next ? Buy only what you need and dont buy useless things like "snacks",

Try to eat to the fullest tho ...
    Instead of rice + chicken do sth like vegetables + chicken and put in many vegetables ;!
    For example rice (50g) + chicken ( 200g) is like 380 kcal , chicken (200g) and vegetables like (carrot,cauliflower,broccoli,zucchini) (500g) are like 325 kcal
    Think about it :!

What to dont have states like you do ?
    Dont go down with calorie deficit very fast ... -100 to -50 is enough by week ... If u went like -500 from start ... Goodbye world .
    Make refeed days one per week - 2 weeks depends on organism (Means eat sth like 400 calories more than your calorie necessity ... well my english is bad so let me explain
    When u need 2200 calories to survive , and ur right now at 1900 , Go for it eat 2500 ... Dont be afraid ... Without refeeds I wouldnt lose weight, cause "my" organism would store "fat" which I want him to burn because your organism thinks about "You", If ur going down with weight its thinking something like "Fu** ... he is going down by weight , giving me lower number of food :(( ... What If it`ll happen tommorow again ?? ... LETS STORE FAT, I need it for survival and energy " ;)
    Ofc some organisms arent like that but ... the most ... ARE .
    ;) hope I helped somehow ...

And again ... ALOT OF WATER :!
    Be yourself ... never hungry ;!
  • jdt242
    jdt242 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    In my experience, restricting only leads to more bingeing - bingeing on the very foods I am trying to avoid - or even worse....I binge on anything until I have the one thing I have been craving. It is a horrible cycle, one that I am deeply in.

If I could give myself advice, it would be

1) start a diary to "write it out" when emotionally challenged
    2) take up various hobbies other than eating - some exercise, others more crafty - anything to keep my hands busy
    3) don't buy crap - sweets/biscuits/sugar - throw it ALL out, no excuses.

Good luck honey - every time you say "no" to the negative actions in your life is a victory.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks!

If I didn't get enough protein in a meal, I will want to eat again soon afterwards, despite how many calories I consumed. My example "breakfast," which is low in protein, would not be as satisfying as lunch, despite being much higher in calories.

c565b008577a85ce1cd35178dcf693d6.png

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Yoga helps me with emotional eating. Other exercise as well, but yoga works best.

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Give yourself permission to binge but set a time limit like: "I give myself permission to binge in 10 minutes". The for the next 10 minutes find something else to do. After that 10 minutes if the feeling has passed then congratulations. If not, give yourself permission to binge in another 10 minutes. Giving yourself permission removes the build up of guilt and feeling of dread in anticipation of the binge. Giving yourself permission also takes away the taboo and/or the emotional thrill of it. Remove the negative feelings around it and you probably won't want to do it.