Want to start running but I'm embarrassed

Options
12346»

Replies

• allison_moushey
    allison_moushey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see someone running and pushing themselves I always think, "Good for them, that's not easy to do"
    Unfortunately, there will always be shallow, judgemental people. Fortunately, the only judgement that matters is your own.
    But not everyone is shallow!

I think it's awesome that you're making this difference and continue to push yourself.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    My husband is a runner (he runs half marathons for fun) and when either we are out training (I cycle) or when I am there to cheer him on at a run, there will always be some people who, like you, are working toward a lower weight and have taken up running to help. A fair number of people running have had the issue of being overweight and started running to help their weight loss journey. Some my husband and I have seen during our trainings (you alwasy see the same people :) ) and have seen getting thinner, faster and healthier and it is such a cool thing to see happening over time.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I vividly remember when I 1st started running. I went out to the park, fired up my c25k app, and dreaded starting the 1st running inverval, because people were out there and could see me and everything! But, when it said, "Begin running," I did. And you know what? Not one person noticed.
    Evenentually I realized, even if they did, that was their problem, not mine.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself if you would deny yourself the fitness you deserve and the desire you have about running based solely on whether or not some other runner out there thinks critically of you.

Your answer is probably "no" and with that you render others negative thoughts about you completely harmless.

If your answer is yes then you could run indoors, but I would give the suggestion of therapy to help enable taking control of your own life.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I started running at age 54 when I weighed 200 pounds.
    Buy good shoes.
    C25K
    "You don't have to be great to start but you have to start to be great"
  • yangt41
    yangt41 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Try wearing sweat belts! I prefer the McDavid brand. It definitely helps hold me in and keeps me from jiggling everywhere when running. I like to wear them over my pants so it helps to hold them up so I won't have to keep on pulling my pants up! And it'll help you lose water weight!
  • recarp510
    recarp510 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K a few months ago. I still have over 60 lbs I would like to loose. I work at a Universtiy and staff can use the workout facilities. We have an indoor track that overlooks basketball courts students use. At first I was a bit self conscious because of having to run/walk in front of college students (I have actually only been out of college 5 years but still was nervous). There are several avid runners who go and sometimes I notice some track team students practicing. I finally told myself that I could care less if they even thought of me (which I doubt any even notice because when I run I do not pay attention to anyone else). I was there for me. I started struggling with only jogging a minute, huffing and puffing my way through but have since improved. I know how hard it is to not worry if others are thinking about what you look like but once you start it is easy to forget. Good luck on your new pursuit.

• recarp510
    Options
    recarp510 wrote: »
    I started the C25K a few months ago. I still have over 60 lbs I would like to loose. I work at a Universtiy and staff can use the workout facilities. We have an indoor track that overlooks basketball courts students use. At first I was a bit self conscious because of having to run/walk in front of college students (I have actually only been out of college 5 years but still was nervous). There are several avid runners who go and sometimes I notice some track team students practicing. I finally told myself that I could care less if they even thought of me (which I doubt any even notice because when I run I do not pay attention to anyone else). I was there for me. I started struggling with only jogging a minute, huffing and puffing my way through but have since improved. I know how hard it is to not worry if others are thinking about what you look like but once you start it is easy to forget. Good luck on your new pursuit.

• recarp510
    Options
    You all are an inspirations I have the same issue. I wanted to start running but have always been a less than graceful runner. I always talk myself out of trying but not anymore. I never care what people think in every aspect of my life except my weight. Not anymore I am going to change that aspect along with everything else. Thanks everyone. I will keep you posted on progress.
  • ccam99
    ccam99 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed. I just started running to train for a 5k and I looked terrible but didn't care. I ran my first 5K and I'm sure that I looked funny there also but I was so busy worrying about finishing that I didn't notice if anybody was looking and I'm 52. Just do it for yourself and tune them out. If it helps, alot of people I know listen to music while they run. I did not do that but probably would now so that I'm not thinking about other people looking at me. Just run and have fun!
  • Nuke807
    Nuke807 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I think most people who feel they are overweight are self conscious about that very fear, I am no different. That being said, once I got past the initial fear of having people laugh at me, I realized that most people are VERY supportive of anybody that is looking to loose weight. I run at the gym with the C25k app, and even though I get lapped by many people, nobody has stared, or laughed at my exertions. You are trying to get healthy and nobody should look down on you for that. Best of luck, don't worry about what others think, if they have a problem with it, they have their own problems that they need to address!
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You're still laping everyone on the couch! Be confident. You're the only one that has to live in your body.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Whatever your obsessing over, the person running by you is obsessing over something completely different than you. Personally I think it's fantastic whenever anyone makes a positive life change and do my best to make them feel comfortable at the gym - even if its just smiling and saying hello. If I see them again - "Good to see you back".

People simply have lost the art of conversation and we have few shared experiences anymore. Just know you're not alone and shouldn't be so concerned about what others think.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    If it bothers you, trying finding a trail nearby and running on a day where it's not busy. I do my walks in the afternoon after I get off work; since I get of earlier than most people, I see maybe a handful of people on the trail by my house. Just keep in mind that how you look is only temporary. Most people won't even notice; I know I don't look at someone I pass or passes me on the trail except to nod hi. I don't notice what they looked like and if you asked me later, I wouldn't even be able to tell you how many. I'm focusing on my walk and my ZR app, not on other people. Most people on a trail like that are the same way.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    +1 @dubird !

Trails are also good for making the impact softer on your body. When I was 255 last September and just started running, I found running on side walks and pavement caused me grief in my lower legs, but running on softer trails was just fine. That problem would disappear in a few months - due to weight loss or strength/fitness or both.

I grew to hate this park pictured below (it does not look so welcoming in dark winter when its raining) but stuck with it all fall, all winter.

I only ran about 200km from Sept14-Dec14 but that was quite a feat for me given how out of shape I was. 67 pounds lighter today, I'm now running more than 200km each month. Somewhere else. :smile:
    IMG_20150524_173733.jpg

No one cares what you look like. Get out there for yourself!
  • anetap2000
    anetap2000 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Haters will always hate. Remember. For them it's bad when someone is too fat or too skinny. Never bother what other people think. DO WHAT U WANNA DO.
    But if you are heavy be careful with your knees.
  • DrLauraDVM16
    DrLauraDVM16 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes- if you want to run- run! When I see some "bigger" people running or cycling- my first thought is always - good for them! Who cares what anyone thinks. It is your body , your life and you get decide what to do with both! Run!

I agree 100%. I've never seen an overweight person exercising and wanted to make fun of them. I'm impressed by their motivation, nothing else. Anyone who DOES is most likely to lazy/out of shape to do it themselves, and their opinions just flat don't matter. Also, the people who see you out there every day will see your progress too!

• NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Yes- if you want to run- run! When I see some "bigger" people running or cycling- my first thought is always - good for them! Who cares what anyone thinks. It is your body , your life and you get decide what to do with both! Run!

This is the exact reaction I have. I'm genuinely more impressed when I see somebody who is heavier, or obviously just getting started, than if they're zooming along in fantastic shape. It takes real willpower to get out there and get started, you will 100% inspire some of the people who see you.
  • pronetocrash91
    pronetocrash91 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I really believe that when people see "big folks" exercising, lifting weights, etc. they are truly thinking one of either two things:

1) Good for them for doing something about it. (or)

2) I wish X (another big folk they know) would do the same.

They aren't judging.

Seeing as how I've had people shout things at me about my weight while I've been out and about, I have to disagree lol.