Can you measure two tbsp of ranch on a plate for me?

Options

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Sadly I don't eat ranch and so don't have any to measure for you, otherwise I'd gladly do it... But I'd recommend asking for the size of the plate. It could be an enormous dinner plate and the ranch with look like a miniscule amount, or it could be a tiny dessert plate and the ranch could look like a huge amount. :)
    I thought about that. Lol. I'd ask for a general idea. In most pictures if I can see other things it helps. Like a hand or salt shaker and get an idea by comparison. If someone could even tell me the space they think it would fill, that would help. I mean like one in across two the other way for a flat tbsp or what ya know? I guess but I could be way off as I have no idea how much that is honestly.. I'd love a scale, but I have three kids and I'm not sure how pricey those are? I'm more likely to get some measuring spoons soon lol

I don't live in the U.S., but from what I've heard, scales cost around $15. Don't let someone make you feel guilty for something you can't afford. :) Save up for it in bits and pieces if you can--I can vouch for the fact that they're PRICELESS when it comes to learning portion control!

Sadly, I don't use dressing at all (I don't like it, I eat my salad totally plain with salt and pepper), otherwise I'd try to help you figure it out with whatever kind of dressing I might have had. :( Maybe just measure out two regular tablespoons, like the kind of spoons you eat with, and hope for the best? I'm sorry that I don't have any better ideas!

I'm not sure if we even own those lol I will check. We had this silverware and it broke lol it was awful and cheaply made. Maybe I can borrow one from my parents. So are the measurements the same that you know of? I'll see if my mom has one. She lost her measuring set too lol. You helped a lot. $15 is very cheap. My browser is being crappy but my app works.. I'll check for scales later. Thank you so much. I wish I liked salad with just salt and pepper.. Though I'm not sure I've tried that? That's not exactly plain. I might have to try it. :)

A tablespoon (the kind that you eat with) is actually smaller than the standard measuring spoon, from what I can tell. I suggested it to keep on the safe side of the measurement. :)

I've heard they're around $15 at Wal-Mart. Obviously there are some really expensive ones, but you really don't need a fancy one, just a plain digital one. :)

You're very welcome! As for the salad, the tastiness with just salt and pepper definitely depends on the quality of the produce--Out of season usually makes it pretty tasteless, but in season produce tastes SO good. I often also chop a bit of spring onion and a bit of cilantro for some extra flavor. :)

All the best!

That sounds delicious. My relatives just always drowned salad in dressing lol.. Spring onion? Is that the same as green onion? I love green onion! So much. I've never had it in regular salad (just potato salad). I have no idea what is in or out of season, but I will Google that later lol thank you again. You are so nice!

I don't like people who judge other people's circumstances, and I like to help out when I can, so I just had to respond to your post and give you some encouragement. :)

Yup, spring onions are also called green onions or scallions. They're amazing in salad! If you like yogurt, a tablespoon of plain yogurt added with a sprinkle of cilantro and spring onion takes salad to a whole new level without drowning out the flavor of the veggies. ;)

Drowning salad in dressing is so common that hardly anyone even knows what salad vegetables taste like anymore! I'm a bit of a salad freak, so I love the plain kind. It's so... uncomparable to anything else. Crispy, crunchy, salty, but so REFRESHING and water-filled and amazing! I always go on and on to my husband about that. I think he might think I'm a little crazy. ;)
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Sadly I don't eat ranch and so don't have any to measure for you, otherwise I'd gladly do it... But I'd recommend asking for the size of the plate. It could be an enormous dinner plate and the ranch with look like a miniscule amount, or it could be a tiny dessert plate and the ranch could look like a huge amount. :)
    I thought about that. Lol. I'd ask for a general idea. In most pictures if I can see other things it helps. Like a hand or salt shaker and get an idea by comparison. If someone could even tell me the space they think it would fill, that would help. I mean like one in across two the other way for a flat tbsp or what ya know? I guess but I could be way off as I have no idea how much that is honestly.. I'd love a scale, but I have three kids and I'm not sure how pricey those are? I'm more likely to get some measuring spoons soon lol

I don't live in the U.S., but from what I've heard, scales cost around $15. Don't let someone make you feel guilty for something you can't afford. :) Save up for it in bits and pieces if you can--I can vouch for the fact that they're PRICELESS when it comes to learning portion control!

Sadly, I don't use dressing at all (I don't like it, I eat my salad totally plain with salt and pepper), otherwise I'd try to help you figure it out with whatever kind of dressing I might have had. :( Maybe just measure out two regular tablespoons, like the kind of spoons you eat with, and hope for the best? I'm sorry that I don't have any better ideas!

I'm not sure if we even own those lol I will check. We had this silverware and it broke lol it was awful and cheaply made. Maybe I can borrow one from my parents. So are the measurements the same that you know of? I'll see if my mom has one. She lost her measuring set too lol. You helped a lot. $15 is very cheap. My browser is being crappy but my app works.. I'll check for scales later. Thank you so much. I wish I liked salad with just salt and pepper.. Though I'm not sure I've tried that? That's not exactly plain. I might have to try it. :)

A tablespoon (the kind that you eat with) is actually smaller than the standard measuring spoon, from what I can tell. I suggested it to keep on the safe side of the measurement. :)

I've heard they're around $15 at Wal-Mart. Obviously there are some really expensive ones, but you really don't need a fancy one, just a plain digital one. :)

You're very welcome! As for the salad, the tastiness with just salt and pepper definitely depends on the quality of the produce--Out of season usually makes it pretty tasteless, but in season produce tastes SO good. I often also chop a bit of spring onion and a bit of cilantro for some extra flavor. :)

All the best!

That sounds delicious. My relatives just always drowned salad in dressing lol.. Spring onion? Is that the same as green onion? I love green onion! So much. I've never had it in regular salad (just potato salad). I have no idea what is in or out of season, but I will Google that later lol thank you again. You are so nice!

I don't like people who judge other people's circumstances, and I like to help out when I can, so I just had to respond to your post and give you some encouragement. :)

Yup, spring onions are also called green onions or scallions. They're amazing in salad! If you like yogurt, a tablespoon of plain yogurt added with a sprinkle of cilantro and spring onion takes salad to a whole new level without drowning out the flavor of the veggies. ;)

Drowning salad in dressing is so common that hardly anyone even knows what salad vegetables taste like anymore! I'm a bit of a salad freak, so I love the plain kind. It's so... uncomparable to anything else. Crispy, crunchy, salty, but so REFRESHING and water-filled and amazing! I always go on and on to my husband about that. I think he might think I'm a little crazy. ;)

All the best!

I don't drown my salad, thankfully, and I do feel good after a salad. That sounds delicious. I'm not big on yogurt, but I'll try it. If not, maybe light/low calorie sour cream would work the same? I already have cilantro and green onion that I bought yesterday. I'm all prepared lol I don't like to judge people either. I tend to get angry when people judge others for little things like their finances. If we could all choose to be rich, we likely would, but that's not life. Lol
  • Beccajayn
    Beccajayn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    dagdvpzv52wt.jpg
    opp5duk1bram.jpg

That is one tablespoon of ranch dressing. Good luck
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Beccajayn wrote: »
    dagdvpzv52wt.jpg
    opp5duk1bram.jpg

That is one tablespoon of ranch dressing. Good luck
    You even put it in your hand.. lol wow. you're amazing thank you. That's a lot more than I thought! I'm so glad. I was very worried about under estimating my intake because most ranch is high in calories. The serving size says 2tbsp, but I definitely didn't use that much. Thank you! :)

• Verity1111
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    just use less ranch, you don't need it.

You have spoons I'm sure, yes? Use those to approximate.
    RodaRose wrote: »
    missh1967 wrote: »
    Three kids before household goods?

Okay then.

That's unnecessary

Thank you. I felt the same. Excuse my French, but it pisses me off when people seem self righteous. I appreciate you saying that. I'm here for help and motivation, not ignorance and judgment that does the opposite.

You have determination and that means a lot. :)
    Thank you for the kind words.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2015
    Options

I don't need to use a lot at once, but I use it often. I really won't eat most things without certain condiments.. like nothing without hot sauce. Not even a sandwich. I have small spoons. I was told three is 1tbsp so I'll try that too. Thank you for the input.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

In a pinch, use a regular tablespoon, but make sure it's level. This wont be as accurate, but better than nothing.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Do you know if dollar tree sells them generally? I don't really go to dollar stores, but they just opened one nearby. Maybe I can drag my kids in the morning lol ask my bf to borrow $1 from our rent until Friday.

Okay you SERIOUSLY need to go check out the dollar store. They have things like Reynolds wrap and cleaning supplies, plus toiletries for a dollar. Definitely a must, for someone on a budget. I would just wait until you've been paid and start your weekly/monthly shopping there.
  • stuartm2015
    stuartm2015 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's not rocket science.

Open a new bottle, estimate how much you're using, add to MFP.
    When you get to the end of the bottle you can total how many ml you've recorded and add or subtract the difference to equal the ml in the bottle
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's not rocket science.

When you get to the end of the bottle you can total how many ml you've recorded and add or subtract the difference to equal the ml in the bottle

Ohh, that's a good idea too. New bottle, record how many times you use it, average the number of uses over the contents of the bottle.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    It's not rocket science.

I do that with Nutella to keep myself honest. Only works if you're not sharing the bottle with anyone else though.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Do you have any of the little measuring cups that come with liquid cold medicine? (Nyquil, cough syrup, etc.) Most of those show the amount in tablespoons and milliliters.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Do you have any of the little measuring cups that come with liquid cold medicine? (Nyquil, cough syrup, etc.) Most of those show the amount in tablespoons and milliliters.

Good point. Your local pharmacist might give you one for free
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I didn't have ranch, only thousand Island... So it may spread out a little more.

Basically... 2.5"x3"

jiz46w5540bm.jpg
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Dollar tree has all kinds of kitchen gadgets. I go there for extra silverware, plates, bowls, measuring spoons and cups, spatulas. Awesome stuff!
  • DrWhoIsYerDad
    DrWhoIsYerDad Posts: 263 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    When you can afford a scale I'd recommend getting one.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I haven't been into Dollar Tree in a long time but I do know for sure that I recently bought measuring spoons from Dollar General for $1. :smile:
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options

I don't need to use a lot at once, but I use it often. I really won't eat most things without certain condiments.. like nothing without hot sauce. Not even a sandwich. I have small spoons. I was told three is 1tbsp so I'll try that too. Thank you for the input.
    Ranch with a little hot sauce added to it is to die for! You can also if needed, thin out the ranch with a tiny bit of milk to make it go further.

• BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    There is a convenience store near me that has little plastic cups (1 Tablespoon sized) for ketchup and mustard. Maybe there is one near you that serves food that also has them. You could pick one up, ask if they know the portion size (they may or may not) but then they can measure for you if it's not a busy time of day. The people that go to the one near me are very health conscious and it has been done there. Since you probably aren't near this store, it's at least worth a shot to see if you are near one. You could then take it with you (they are cheap, plastic things) and use it to measure your dressing. Just an idea.
  • thursdayswoman
    thursdayswoman Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Do you know if dollar tree sells them generally? I don't really go to dollar stores, but they just opened one nearby. Maybe I can drag my kids in the morning lol ask my bf to borrow $1 from our rent until Friday.

Okay you SERIOUSLY need to go check out the dollar store. They have things like Reynolds wrap and cleaning supplies, plus toiletries for a dollar. Definitely a must, for someone on a budget. I would just wait until you've been paid and start your weekly/monthly shopping there.

Do be careful though! Some dollar stores (Dollar Tree especially) get special packages of various goods that hold less. So for example, a roll of toilet paper at the Dollar Tree will have fewer sheets than one from a non-discount store, and there will be fewer ziplocs in the package even if they're brand name. It's definitely worth shopping around to compare prices and see what's worth it and what's not.

When you're on a budget, every penny counts. I did without measuring spoons for a lot of years, by eyeballing things. Of course I learned to do that by seeing other people...which was what was being asked for here.

Couldn't do without the internet thought...since, you know, the internet is necessary to doing things like finding a job and finishing school.