eat before or after a long walk or exercise?

Options
Should I eat before or after i go walking /jogging or exercise?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    personal preference.

I eat something before I exercise but typically nothing to big or heavy.

I typically eat a yogurt about an hour before...
  • Sheseeksstrength
    Sheseeksstrength Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It is totally up to you. Some days I workout better when I eat before and other days, I don't. Try it out and see what works best :)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, meal timing does not matter. Personally, I like to eat a little bit after cardio because I don't like running on a full stomach.
  • martinazanaria
    martinazanaria Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    After!
    Eating before makes you burn sugars instead of fats, and brings your spleen to hurt
    Perfect would be exercising in the morning before breakfast
  • khaki33
    khaki33 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hmm.Thanks so much for the info everyone :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    For a short walk or jog it doesn't really matter one way or the other. If it is going to be over an hour, you should probably eat something about an hour before you go. For even longer periods of exercise (90+ minutes), you'll get even better performance if you replace 20-30% of the calories you burn while you are working out. None of that really matters for weight loss, other than it lets you workout longer, so you'll be burning more calories.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    For a short walk or jog it doesn't really matter one way or the other. If it is going to be over an hour, you should probably eat something about an hour before you go. For even longer periods of exercise (90+ minutes), you'll get even better performance if you replace 20-30% of the calories you burn while you are working out. None of that really matters for weight loss, other than it lets you workout longer, so you'll be burning more calories.

^ This

You will want to have some fast acting/usable energy available ( ie mostly carb based ) for prolonged or intense exertion.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    After!
    Eating before makes you burn sugars instead of fats, and brings your spleen to hurt

Lol what?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    After!

:huh:
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    After!

really? wow...what if I don't hurt at all? @martinazanaria

I exercise after work...most of my food has been eaten for the day...
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    OH, so that is why my spleen hurt yesterday!
  • martinazanaria
    martinazanaria Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    After!

I THINK it hurts just if you eat just before exercising. For example half an hour before
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    After!

I THINK it hurts just if you eat just before exercising. For example half an hour before

@martinazanaria sorry nope...

everyone is different and how they feel about eating and exercise is different...

exercise burns calories...it doesn't distinguish between fat or sugar calories...just calories.

and if something hurts...stop...unless it's when you are running and you get a stitch...arms up over head...breath.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    After!

Nope. If your "spleen hurts" see a doctor. However I significantly doubt your spleen is hurting but rather the muscles in that area (specifically your diaphragm since you are likely breathing harder/faster).
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    it depends I don't like a huge sploshing in my belly if I end up jogging part of it

29509743.png
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Before I go running (after work) I like to make sure I have a protein bar about an hour before. If I don't have any, I have a banana before I go out. I eat supper when I get home. I've had supper within an hour of going out running and regretted it. I was only doing a 5K run at the time, but I got cramps for eating before running. Never again.
  • khaki33
    khaki33 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, agh,feet and legs hurt a lot,maby when i go for another jog tomorrow it will feel better,good night!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I exercise before I eat as exercising seems to speed up ummm my digestive process.
  • drpmrvel
    drpmrvel Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Very small quantity of anything is preferable to consume immediately before and after your workout, that too if you really feel you are hungry...