The ever elusive "Healthy" pancake/waffle syrups....

2»

Replies

• MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    s2mikey wrote: »
    Not sure about you guys but I'm a sucker for pancakes and if you look at my food diary you'll see that most mornings start off with some type of pancakes for me! Many recipes are healthier mixes and such so that's good. But, finding that perfect syrup has been a challenge. I refuse to eat anything with sucralose, aspartame, Splenda, whatever in it. Just don't like or want that stuff. So, my requirement is the the syrup is at least natural meaning it isn't made in a lab or whatever. LOL.

So far, here's where I'm at in my quest:

Traditional store shelf maple syrups = too much junk corn syrup and other crap I don't want
    Agave based sweeteners = very bummed about what I've been reading about agave lately. Even the best brands are mostly fructose and not nearly as good as we once thought.
    Inverted Cane Syrup = not really any different than table sugar.
    Pure Maple Syrup = great flavor but freeging expensive and of course loaded with sucrose

The others that I have not tried yet that interest me are Barley Malt Syrup and Molasses.

I know, I'm trying to find something that probably doesn't exist: a low carb, low sugar natural sweetener that tastes great and isn't overpriced or hard to get. Anyone ever use barley malt syrup as a pancake topping? Molasses? I don't want to buy a jar and then end up hating it.

?????????

I've never been one for maple syrup myself. I usually go with frozen mixed berries, sprinkle a teensy bit of artificial sweetener on them (or not, depending on what I'm in the mood for), then nuke it until it gets all gooey and syrupy, then pour it on top of my protein pancakes.
  • runfreer
    runfreer Posts: 23 Member
    I eat a giant stack of pancakes every Saturday and Sunday. I prefer pure maple syrup but it is pricey so we also use the junk pancake syrup, peanut butter, honey, fruit and - stay with me here - Greek yogurt and jam, together.

As a child, my mom would make pancake 'jelly rolls' with a thin layer of sour cream followed by whatever jam we had on hand. Roll it up and BOOM, fancy breakfast. I started using plain, nonfat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream for all things a couple of years ago, and it still works in the pancake application. If you make your own jam or fruit puree, you can control all ingredients in it and make it suit your needs.