Birth Control: Weight loss- I'm stuck

Options
I recently switched my birth control a month and a half ago. Since then my weight loss "scale amount" hasn't moved! I work out at least 5 times a week, and I'm still eating a healthy diet and staying under my calorie goal. Anyone else have this happen and if so how did you get over this hump? I went from losing at least 3 lbs about every 2 weeks to absolutely nothing in a month and a half. I still have 30 more lbs to reach my goal.

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    For a start you need to open your diary
    Are you using food scales to measure out EVERYTHING?
    Are you accurately logging everything, making sure the labels match the database items?
  • Deannjay
    Deannjay Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Birth control can definitely do this. I would say keep doing what you're doing and up your water intake. Birth control makes us hold on to the water weight but it doesn't necessarily mean you aren't losing fat. It may also take some time for your body to get used to the new bc before things go back to normal. I'm sure you'll keep losing the weight. Good luck girlie!
  • MariGirl17
    MariGirl17 Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I had the same problem. I had so many bad side effects from BC, with weight gain being one of them. The doctors will tell you to give it a few months so that your body will "adjust". It's a personal choice if you can wait that long...I was tired of my body feeling so messed up and I chose not to take the BC pills anymore and I feel normal again. And yes, I started losing weight again. Huzzah!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    *smh* Birth control does not make you gain weight....how could it...oral BC pills have no calories, injections/patches are not eaten...and the IUD/sponge etc don't weigh much...

It will however "increase your appetite"...make you retain water etc...

If you aren't logging consistently and accurately using a food scale...but "eating healthy" there is no guarantee you are in a deficit.
  • jellis830
    jellis830 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I log everyday. I think I will increase my water intake and see how that helps. I know birth control doesn't make you gain weight, but there had to be something going on hormone wise that my body was holding onto not allowing me to continue losing weight.
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Birth control pills cause hormonal changes that can ABSOLUTELY cause you to stop losing for a while. Same type of hormonal changes that cause women to gain weight during and after menopause. Same way certain other medications can cause changes that make you gain (most of them will warn you that it could cause weight gain).
    Here is a partial list.
    "Steroids such as prednisone, older antidepressants such as Elavil and Tofranil, and second-generation antipsychotics like Zyprexa are the biggest -- and most recognized -- promoters of weight gain, Fernstrom says.

Some other common offenders, says Fernstrom, include the antidepressants Paxil and Zoloft, the antiseizure medication Depakote, diabetes drugs like Diabeta and Diabinese, and the high blood pressure drugs Cardura and Inderal. Heartburn drugs like Nexium and Prevacid may also cause drug-induced weight gain."

Those pills don't have any "calories" either. It is probably not because you aren't "doing it right". Give it a couple of months. Also it seems you have been losing pretty fast. Sometimes the body stalls and need to adjust, so it could be a combination. Just keep it up, re-do your calorie deficit to make sure it's adjusted for your weight loss and carry on. B)

my sister is a doctor. We discuss this kind of thing all the time.
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Try a non-hormonal IUD
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    jellis830 wrote: »
    I log everyday. I think I will increase my water intake and see how that helps. I know birth control doesn't make you gain weight, but there had to be something going on hormone wise that my body was holding onto not allowing me to continue losing weight.

Birth control can affect your appetite. I've been on Depo for several years, and with proper weighing/measuring/working out, I've been able to maintain and lose easily. Do you weigh everything with a food scale?