How often did you weigh in to achieve success?

Options
tesemarie
tesemarie Posts: 37 Member
I am wondering, for those of you who have lost a lot of weight over a year or so.. How often did you get on the scale? I like seeing small losses as motivators, but small gains can be defeating... Who found a sweet spot with this??

Replies

• McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Personally I weighed every day and watch the trend. You're right that at times the small gains can be defeating, but not knowing where I am would drive me crazier than the ups and downs. The other thing I did was to keep a linear graph of my weight loss to show myself that i'm either over or under my trendline at any given time and to expect it to come down or go up accordingly. I treated that line as kind of my "true" weight, because with water retention, the scale always lies.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Daily...always have always will. This along with the daily tracking of food / cals has taught me alot about how my body reacts to certain foods, hormonal cycle, exercise, etc. I track the weight and keep my eyes on the longer term trend.

I'm a scientist and love my numbers... If the daily fluctuations demotivate you, find something that works for you. I also recommend to track measurements. I measured every week or two during my losing phase. This is an additional motivation, when the scale stalls for a while.
  • rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Weigh daily - keeps my focus
    line graph weekly weight to visually see progress
    body measuremeets monthly - another source of progress for when I don't see it in the mirror
  • tesemarie
    Options
    I have been weighing daily and doing measurements once a month. That has been working pretty well for me, but I do feel pretty tied to my scale and I am trying to constantly remember that this is about more than the number on it! I'm happy to hear others have done daily too though and that has worked and not become detrimental. One thing I do run into is several days in which my weight will remain the same (even occasional small gains within a pound) and then suddenly it will drop a couple of pounds all at once or over 2 days. It didn't do that in my first 20 pounds of loss but now that I'm in the 26 lbs of loss it does it frequently.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Daily. If the small gains demotivate you, what are the potentially larger ones going to do? I'd rather see that I gained a few ounces overnight for a few days in a row than weigh in once a week and see a large jump.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    That's called the whoosh effect by some. As the body loses fat, it tends to fill those cells with water. When that water is released, you have a sudden larger weight loss...the whoosh ;-) I often had 1 week with a high loss followed by 1-2 very slow weeks. Totally normal.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Daily. Been working well for me. Used to weigh in weekly/every other week, but I found myself obsessing about the weigh-ins, and then binging afterwards. People talk about how unhealthy weighing in every day is because you are chained to the scale, but for me, I was chained more by not knowing than just weighing, logging, and moving on.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I weighed in 3-5 times per week with the knowledge and understanding that body weight isn't static and losses aren't linear and that I would have naturally fluctuating numbers. The trend is what is important and understanding that is going to be more valuable to you than weighing in how many ever times.

In doing this I have discovered that usually Monday is my heaviest day and Thursday is my lightest day...Wednesday is usually somewhere inbetween and I usually will get a couple other readings during the week that are right around that number give or take a decimal. For this reason, Wednesday is my "official" weigh in. Beyond that, I just watch the overall trend.

I lost 40 Lbs over 9 months and I've maintained for over two years now without logging a diary.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Until the last 10 lbs, I weighed in 5-6 times per week but I only looked at the chart for 2-3 months at a time. Now I only log losses and weigh in 1-2 times per week.
  • tesemarie
    Options
    pixiestick wrote: »
    Daily. Been working well for me. Used to weigh in weekly/every other week, but I found myself obsessing about the weigh-ins, and then binging afterwards. People talk about how unhealthy weighing in every day is because you are chained to the scale, but for me, I was chained more by not knowing than just weighing, logging, and moving on.

Yes! I think this would be me. I can take fluctuations in stride, but fear I would work too much about a weekly weigh in and drive myself crazy :). All of your comments have been so helpful! I'll have to look into charting. That's a new idea to me
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I found daily weigh-ins affecting me negatively. I'm attempting to stay off the scale, get my calories right and exercise. I feel like I can "just do" more easily if I'm not anticipating a movement on the scale from one day to the next. Still having a hard time not hauling the thing out.
  • erickavalos96
    erickavalos96 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Everyday in the morning right after the bathroom! Try to do it around the same time
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Another daily weigher here. Always 1st thing in the morning, naked, as soon as i get downstairs (before any drinks/food and after the bathroom!)
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Every day for me too.
  • KristenMarie1181
    KristenMarie1181 Posts: 216 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    :)
  • nikkerbob
    nikkerbob Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Once a week.. Fridays are my weight in day =)
  • ddmusica
    ddmusica Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Every day except Sunday :)
  • dalem48
    dalem48 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Daily. It keeps me motivated and holds me accountable.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    At first once a week on Friday morning.

Then I started lifting heavier weights and started focusing on fat loss and not the scale so I moved to measuring myself every other week. That turned out to be a better fit for my goals.
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Every day. I've come to accept swings, and I can predict the sodium increase and not freak out.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!