How sugar affects me

Options

Replies

• FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Yes, you have to pick an approach that makes it easier on yourself. That's why focusing on restrictions and ignoring if they make you neurotic is not a good approach for me. Obviously, one has to know oneself. I don't find it difficult to eat sugar in moderation, perhaps because sugar has never been a huge thing for me. I do find that I can easily get obsessive about restrictions.

I get what you are saying. What's sensible for me may be neurotic to others. By implying that "sugar is bad" I could be leading others to obsessive behavior with regards to sugar. That was not my intention but your point is valid.

To clarify, by restricting my sugar intake I don't mean cutting it out completely. I eat fruit and other foods with some sugar in them. I am just watching total intake and avoiding foods loaded with sugar.

I should have also mentioned that my family has a long history of diabetes. I don't believe sugar causes diabetes but they are linked in some way. I don't have diabetes but only because I kept my weight down not because I avoided sugar. For people with diabetes sugar is definitely something they are concerned with.
  • jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I <3 sugar! I try to eat a small amount of sweets because I have noticed that since I have lowered my intake of processed sugars ( not fruit, veggies etc) that when I eat something super sweet I feel sick right after! OP maybe if you didnt deprive yourself of sugar you wouldnt have binged so hard on that taco bell eh
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    FitnessTim wrote: »
    Yes, you have to pick an approach that makes it easier on yourself. That's why focusing on restrictions and ignoring if they make you neurotic is not a good approach for me. Obviously, one has to know oneself. I don't find it difficult to eat sugar in moderation, perhaps because sugar has never been a huge thing for me. I do find that I can easily get obsessive about restrictions.

I get what you are saying. What's sensible for me may be neurotic to others. By implying that "sugar is bad" I could be leading others to obsessive behavior with regards to sugar. That was not my intention but your point is valid.

To clarify, by restricting my sugar intake I don't mean cutting it out completely. I eat fruit and other foods with some sugar in them. I am just watching total intake and avoiding foods loaded with sugar.

I should have also mentioned that my family has a long history of diabetes. I don't believe sugar causes diabetes but they are linked in some way. I don't have diabetes but only because I kept my weight down not because I avoided sugar. For people with diabetes sugar is definitely something they are concerned with.

backpedal.gif
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    In for flag spamming.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    This post inspired me to look at the evils of water.
    When I was extremely obese last year, I was drinking a lot of water; but when I started drinking a lot of diet soda and less water, I lost a lot of weight.
    Water is the devil and no one even talks about it because government and stuff.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    OP, self control is the ONLY thing we have that works. People who say they have no self control have self control, but they don't want to use it. Self control is a mental exercise, not a physiological response.

I read your post while eating a cupcake that my daughter baked me. Now I'm going to get up and move around because I know that is what I should be doing now that I've eaten that delicious lemonade peep-topped cupcake. Besides, it would break my daughter's 9 year old heart if I didn't eat the cupcake she took all day yesterday to make.

It really is simple, even if it feels hard. I am engaging in a mental exercise by recognizing what I ate, and soon I will be engaging in a physical exercise to keep my energy up. That way, I avoid the physiological response you triggered after your Taco Bell binge by just sitting there and letting the surplus calories digest. You just sitting there after eating 10 of those dessert thingies was a conscious decision on your part, OP. Own up to it and avoid the physiological response to it in the future by making sure you don't eat all 10 and getting up and moving.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have no self control around chips and pizza and french fries. Obviously sodium is the problem. /sarcasm
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

backpedal.gif

Is that one of those weird optical illusions that - if you stare at it long enough - will look like he's pedaling both directions?

ETA: Nope...just backpedalling I guess :)
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Gizziemoto wrote: »
    I am giving up refined sugars. Bye bye Starbucks frapps! That was 3 weeks ago. I cannot drink them anymore too sweet and I eat fruit instead. Only thing I learned was too much refined sugar makes me ill and I like apples more. Oh not as bloated but no idea why.

this makes no sense, as your body does not know the difference between the sugar in the frappe and the sugar in the apple. You might have a sensitivity to the milk in the frappe, perhaps.

Two cents from me: Your body may not know the difference, but it may be that your taste buds come to: during busy season at our office, we had a delivery of Dunkin Donuts for breakfast. Which I have always liked, especially the chocolate ones (of course!). So the night before, I adjusted my meals so I could fit a chocolate donut as breakfast. I had not had such a carby-sugary-yummy, nutritionally-wasteful breakfast for a long time, and I was looking forward to it.

Imagine my surprise and disappointment when, as I let it go down, I tasted a kind of plastic, I dunno, "fake" aftertaste which I had never tasted before. I managed half of it, tossed the rest, and got a dark-chocolate bar (Lindth, I *think*) that evening.

I found it an interesting experience.

• AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Gizziemoto wrote: »
    I am giving up refined sugars. Bye bye Starbucks frapps! That was 3 weeks ago. I cannot drink them anymore too sweet and I eat fruit instead. Only thing I learned was too much refined sugar makes me ill and I like apples more. Oh not as bloated but no idea why.

this makes no sense, as your body does not know the difference between the sugar in the frappe and the sugar in the apple. You might have a sensitivity to the milk in the frappe, perhaps.

Two cents from me: Your body may not know the difference, but it may be that your taste buds come to: during busy season at our office, we had a delivery of Dunkin Donuts for breakfast. Which I have always liked, especially the chocolate ones (of course!). So the night before, I adjusted my meals so I could fit a chocolate donut as breakfast. I had not had such a carby-sugary-yummy, nutritionally-wasteful breakfast for a long time, and I was looking forward to it.

Imagine my surprise and disappointment when, as I let it go down, I tasted a kind of plastic, I dunno, "fake" aftertaste which I had never tasted before. I managed half of it, tossed the rest, and got a dark-chocolate bar (Lindth, I *think*) that evening.

I found it an interesting experience.

That happens when they fry the donut in stale oil or it sits around for too long. Ends up tasting like butt.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It comes down to personal responsibility. OP, you have a problem with self-control. That's ok. A lot of us do. I know that I have a problem controlling myself around certain foods. And its not just sweets. So I don't have them in the house often. It's not the food's fault; it's mine. I can overeat everything that tastes good, because I like the taste. Address the issue -- you -- and go from there. You'll be a lot more successful in the long run.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Nope. It's not cruel, it's reality. Some have no self control, some do. I had no self control combined with laziness and lack of caring. If that's fat shaming then I'm fat shaming myself, because I was fat, obese and I was lazy. And since you want to this let's be sensitive approach, you can't comment on what I just said because I was obese and you never were and don't know what it's like. But I don't really believe that, but I can go ahead and say it because how could you know what fat shaming feels like if in fact you know the reason was laziness.

Calories are the factor in weight gain. If it was sugar then you could go ahead and say we could gain weight while eating at a deficit but eating to many pieces of fruit. And that's not the case.
    It is a lot more work to be overweight than it is to be fit.

How do you figure?
    Maybe they mean life is harder in general? Tying shoes, huffing and puffing all the time doing normal activities. At least that's what I got from it.

• ladybluu562
    ladybluu562 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think you should have them as a snack and find out the nutritional facts on how much you should eat, but I totally understand the sugar intake, I think that's my enemy too, and may be the reason why I got my gallbladder removed, too many artificial drinks not much water. Even jotting down in the food diary yesterday it said I was taking in a lot of sugars, and I thought it was healthy to just eat raisins or drink naked, those sugars do add up apparently. :'(
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Depending on self control alone is not a valid weight loss strategy for most people. Self control is a limited resource.

Going to the gym 7 days a week and meticulously tracking calories is not about self control. It's habituation. Once you develop those habits, it is relatively easy. Still anyone that commits themselves to that lifestyle should be commended.

Saying that people are overweight because they lack self control is wrong and also cruel. I had thought fat-shaming was a thing of the past but apparently it is still out there.

I'm not overweight. I'm in relatively good shape. However, as I get older I am finding it more difficult to maintain my level of fitness doing the same things I've always done. Whether it is my metabolism slowing down or increased responsibilities in my life, I can't simply eat whatever I want and expect to stay in the same shape.

I believe sugar is a factor in weight gain. I don't have a problem with restricting sugar so that's the approach I'm going with for now. I'll still track my calories in/out so it's not like I believe restricting sugar is the "secret" to fitness.

I'm 5 years older than you are.

It's really not about personal control. It's about personal accountability and responsibility. It's about owning your own behavior.

It's specious to mix aging into your arguments about food choice and your lack of responsibility when it comes to their consumption.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Nope. It's not cruel, it's reality. Some have no self control, some do. I had no self control combined with laziness and lack of caring. If that's fat shaming then I'm fat shaming myself, because I was fat, obese and I was lazy. And since you want to this let's be sensitive approach, you can't comment on what I just said because I was obese and you never were and don't know what it's like. But I don't really believe that, but I can go ahead and say it because how could you know what fat shaming feels like if in fact you know the reason was laziness.

Calories are the factor in weight gain. If it was sugar then you could go ahead and say we could gain weight while eating at a deficit but eating to many pieces of fruit. And that's not the case.

It is a lot more work to be overweight than it is to be fit.

If you were never overweight, then how do you know how much relative "work" it takes to be that way?

• staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    For the past few weeks I have been restricting my intake of sugar. I am not just talking about "added sugar" but sugar in general. While there may be differences in sugars (fructose, glucose, etc) it is more practical for me to treat them as the same.

Yesterday I was out with my family and in the spirit of having a good time I had suggested we get some Cinnamon Delights from Taco Bell. If you haven't tried them, don't - they're are delicious. It was an experiment to test the theory that all calories are basically equal.

With my first taste of sugary treat, my ability to control my eating diminished. I ended up eating 10 of them when I had only planned on eat 2 or 3. They are small but loaded with sugar and fat.

Soon after, I felt my energy and motivation to move dropped. I felt terrible and had trouble focusing. I believe it was the sharp contrast to a low sugar diet I was noticing. When I consumed sugar on a regular basis I probably felt that way all the time and thought it was normal.

Some people get really defensive about the studies that show that sugar is unhealthy or even toxic. They imply that there is a unfair attack on sugar. Well I was just as skeptical but I chose to try and reduce my intake of sugar and see what happens. What I've experienced appears to confirm what the studies have shown and that is that sugar has both long term and short term negative effects on the body and mind.

Some argue that sugar is an enjoyable part of life. For me that feeling of succumbing to mindless craving is terrible. The short term and long term effects of high sugar consumption are not enjoyable.

I agree with you. I gave up sweeteners (natural & otherwise, including fruit), along with caffeine, gum & alcohol in December. I have never felt or looked better, physically & mentally.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    That happens when they fry the donut in stale oil or it sits around for too long. Ends up tasting like butt.

Ah! Then tsk-tsk-shame on them for doing so first thing in the morning!