Weight Watchers Bread

Options
Has anyone tried Weight Watchers bread? I was looking at it at the grocery store tonight and I see it would save me about 100 calories on a sandwich, compared to our normal bread. Worth a try?

Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it, but as a rule I don't care for "light" or "diet" bread.

One exception: If you have Stop & Shop where you live, they have a store brand light rye bread that is really good.

Otherwise, I just eat regular bread and take the calorie hit.
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    There's not much substance to it. I used it for a while but went back to regular but to be fair I maybe only eat 2 slices of bread a week
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I went to Weight Watchers a few years ago. I have tried that and a few other breads that are lower in cals and/or carbs. Our WW group leader said that she still ate regular bread because it made her stomach feel fuller. I have to agree with that. I have used both, but I find I can last longer with the regular bread. That being said, sometimes I just have a bowl of soup with half a sandwich to save on the calories. Still load it up with fillings.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I like Sara Lee 45 calories a slice.
  • Amytreetop
    Amytreetop Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm a bread baker. I can tell you that any bread that is low in calories is either lighter (more air) or sliced very thin. There isn't much you can do to remove calories from flour, water, yeast and the one tablespoon of oil that goes into one loaf. So they think of other ways.

I have stopped baking and eating bread while losing weight. I have Flatout Flatbread wraps now: large, multigrain, very nice and filling when stuffed with meat and veg at lunch. And they are either 90 or 100 calories depending on the kind you get.
  • Amytreetop
    Options
    Makes sense! Thanks! Good idea re: the wrap :)
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Haven't had the bread, but I love the WW bagels.
    They taste the same as a regular bagel but the size is more realistic. It hadn't been 'supersized'
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I like Sara Lee 45 calories a slice.

Do they just slice it thinner?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I'm a bread baker. I can tell you that any bread that is low in calories is either lighter (more air) or sliced very thin. There isn't much you can do to remove calories from flour, water, yeast and the one tablespoon of oil that goes into one loaf. So they think of other ways.

I have stopped baking and eating bread while losing weight. I have Flatout Flatbread wraps now: large, multigrain, very nice and filling when stuffed with meat and veg at lunch. And they are either 90 or 100 calories depending on the kind you get.

I have never baked bread, but know what the ingredients are, and you're absolutely right - all they can do is pump air into it or slice it thinner. Me, I love rye bread and usually cut one slice in half for my sandwich.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I find the WW bread to be lacking substance. It won't hold much. Try eating open faced with the bread you love. Instantly cut the calories in half without sacrificing texture.
  • Amytreetop
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for the advice/insight! :)
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Try Nature's Own Double Fiber Whole Wheat bread. It is 100% whole wheat, has added fiber (oat, soy), and is only 50 calories a slice. It still is substantial enough for a good sandwich.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I also like the Flatout flatbread. Another good brand is Damascus Bakeries. Their whole wheat/flax wraps are 80 cal per. About 10 to 12 inches long and maybe 4 or 5 inches wide.

Yesterday I mixed about 1/2T chipotle pepper in a tube with 1T no-sugar 10-cal/teaspoon marmalade and spread that on a wrap. Added a slice of deli turkey (1.6 oz). Tasted right decent, for 150 calories. Didn't have any greens in the house, or I'd've added a half-cup or so.

I'm another fan of the Sara Lee small bagels. The size bagels generally sold these days is the equivalent of 3 slices of bread, at least. Sara Lee's min-bagels are about 1 ounce, and come in whole wheat as well as white and raisin.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have it all the time, it stops.me bloating like everyday bread and it's light. . Definitely worth a try. ..you soon get used to it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I vote no

It's a disappointing approximation and bread isn't that high in calories when you can make a decent sandwich for 300