Stalling-sudden-drop phenomenon

Options
mommarnurse
mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So, I've been losing since 11 months ago. I've lost 55lbs so far (equals out to 1.25lbs a week) which, for the first 6 months was pretty steady and predictable. However, my loss since then has been something like this: stall at same weight for up to a month then sudden loss of 3 lbs in a day or two. Lose a couple more lb over the next week, then stall again for 2 weeks or more. The only coinciding factor I've managed to deduce is that when that started happening, I also sarted integrating a lot of strength training (not just cardio).

Does this happen to anyone else? It's frustrating to not understand the physiology of it and the internet has not sourced me an answer.

Replies

• mommarnurse
    Options
    It really messes with your mind, doesn't it? I wonder if it's because our bodies just do not want to give up the weight. Or maybe it's some water conversion increased muscle mass combo thing going on. Water molecules somehow are attatched to muscle.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    It's common, just about everyone who monitors closely observes it. It seems to be variations in water retention as the body uses fat stores. It's commonly called a "whoosh" by people who observe it.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I read that this might have something to do with the use of glycogen. For every gram of glycogen, your body holds three grams of water. When your glycogen levels drop, your weight drops quickly. As they rebuild, your weight climbs or stalls.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What I find strange is when the scale doesn't move for 2+ weeks but you lose a pants size. And then 2-3 pounds fall off as described above with NO change in clothing or appearance.

also, when I started strength training, I actually gained water weight and hung onto it for a while.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Not to be pedantic but I've always seen 4g water to g glycogen

But yes OP ...stall then whoosh is pretty common

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/

I'm not sure this is how it works in reality but it's a nice graphic

481519_541350332560565_1344462761_n.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What I find strange is when the scale doesn't move for 2+ weeks but you lose a pants size. And then 2-3 pounds fall off as described above with NO change in clothing or appearance.

also, when I started strength training, I actually gained water weight and hung onto it for a while.

Muscle repair
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    Options

It really IS wierd isn't it? I hate that it does this to me too.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Me too. And yes, it messes with your mind until you get used to it.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Love this. Thank you for posting.
  • LilannB
    LilannB Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This is the way I lose weight. No more then a pound a week. Then I will stall for 2-3 weeks followed by a sudden weight loss of 3-4 pounds.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I recently moved into a cycle of stall and whoosh that takes about 2 weeks. I wondered if it was because of the erratic spring weather with a few warm days, then a few cold days. I always tend to retain a little extra water when it is warm out. Whatever the cause, my monthly loss totals are still close to my "normal" pattern.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options

Muscle repair

I know, I should have finished my sentence to point out that OP is correct to tie her stall in with strength training.
  • mommarnurse
    Options

Yes! So true. (Or you notice an obvious change in some body shape, somewhere in your body but the scale doesn't match)
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    This started happening to me about the time I really got serious about running and strength training. When I was sedentary (but simply limiting intake), I would lose 1-1.5 lbs. per week like clockwork. Once I started getting really fit, I'd fluctuate from my base weight upwards to 3 lbs. or so and then finally, one day it would be gone. Strange phenomenon, but there's definitely something to it! (I'm due for a whoosh soon!)
  • mommarnurse
    Options

Interesting. Thank you for that link!
  • mommarnurse
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    This started happening to me about the time I really got serious about running and strength training. When I was sedentary (but simply limiting intake), I would lose 1-1.5 lbs. per week like clockwork. Once I started getting really fit, I'd fluctuate from my base weight upwards to 3 lbs. or so and then finally, one day it would be gone. Strange phenomenon, but there's definitely something to it! (I'm due for a whoosh soon!)

Lol. I sure hope I'm due for a whoosh soon, too. I just tell myself that it's physiologically impossibly to have a consistent caloric deficit and stay at the same weight forever. But its so frustrating to bust your butt for weeks and see no change on the scale.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing, but it correlates to my monthly cycle. I generally lose 5lbs the first 2 weeks of my cycle. Then from ovulation to period, I fluctuate 2-3lbs above my lowest weight. Once my period starts I quickly go down 7-8lbs (2-3# above my last recorded low plus an additional 5ish).
  • mommarnurse
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    I have the same thing, but it correlates to my monthly cycle. I generally lose 5lbs the first 2 weeks of my cycle. Then from ovulation to period, I fluctuate 2-3lbs above my lowest weight. Once my period starts I quickly go down 7-8lbs (2-3# above my last recorded low plus an additional 5ish).

I'm going to start to record closer and see If it's related.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    It's was like this for me the two other times I got fat after having babies. Lost every pound gained in six weeks, with none of it in the first two and most of it in the last two. It worsened after I quit smoking in 2004 and actually gained serious weight. I've been losing and gaining ever since. I get discouraged and give up, gain another ten pounds, get mad and start killing myself, don't lose anything for weeks, then in a few weeks lose 15 pounds. Tell myself, okay, that was easy, then stop trying. Then gain 20 pounds. And the beat goes on.

This time, I'm not stopping. I might stall a few times, but not stopping. Thank you MFP and all my friends here.