A little during the day, a lot at night?

RichGebs
RichGebs Posts: 345
edited September 27 in Food and Nutrition
ok so recently, I have been eating a little amount of food for breakfast lunch and dinner (like 200-300) But when it comes to after dinner, I eat about 600 calories (I'm still well under my calorie and other nutrition goals for the day). Is it bad to eat little during the day but then eat a lot later toward the night? Or does it not matter as long as you are under your calorie goal?

Replies

• purpl3sox
    purpl3sox Posts: 38
    Best thing to do is to eat the cals when you will use them. So eating in the morning when you will be active all day is best but its ok if you dont.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    you're trying to hit the calorie goal.. not be under it.
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Everthing I read says that the opposite is much better. Eat more in the morning and early afternoon, less in the evening. Also, more carbs in the morning/early afternoon, not so many at night.
  • Vkoons3
    Vkoons3 Posts: 122 Member
    I find that I do the same thing but usually by the time the evening comes it is later and even though I am under my calorie goal I tend to have more calories for dinner but I am more active in the evenings because I have a desk job that I don't leave all day and then when I get home I am cleaning and running errands withthe kids and excercise so I dont worry bout it to much.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    I eat like this too. I don't starve all day, I eat breakfast , lunch and an afternoon snack. But my breakfast and lunch don't usually go over 300 cals. So far so good here, I've been losing weight at a steady healthy pace with no plateaus. So I say as long as your not going hungry during the day it's fine.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    I'd say "it depends" Isn't that always the way ;)

Do you eat so many calories at night because you essentially starved yourself all day? Is your energy lacking during the day because you are eating so few calories during the day? Is there a reason you want so many calories left at night (i.e. it's when the family eats?)

I'd say if it's natural for your body and your energy levels are fine throughout the day - don't mess with it unless you are finding you aren't losing weight. However, if you feel hungry during the day or tired or just generally lathargic --- I'd rethink your calorie distribution.

General research shows your metabolism works best with a constant source of fuel throughout the day -- so 5 small meals equally spaced. But everyone is different so it's finding what works for you. I tend to fall in the camp of "If it's working for you, keep doing it until it doesn't work and then switch it up."
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    I have the same problem....lol....i try not keep to my calorie goals all day and then it's night and i'm like "shoot! I have an extra 600 calories!" so, b/c i think it's omportant to eat at least more of yout calories...I've been actually logging my food for the day in the morning...kinda gives me a menu for the day and I casn see where i'll be at..then I can schedule my snacks to work with my calorie needs....i do think it's important to eat the majority of you rcalories during the day when you're up and moving, better than at night when you're going to bed.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    The human body needs food approximately every 2 hours in order to function properly. Take that into consideration. If you are awake for 12 hours and are eating 1200 calories per day, that's 200 calories every 2 hours. If you are eating 80 calories in a yogurt for breakfast and then not eating again until lunch, you are sabotaging your own diet plan.

The body freaks out when you don't have enough to eat. Your body gets stressed and your levels of cortisol raise. It's just like going into starvation mode. Only it's for a shorter amount of time. Which is just as bad, if not worse than sending your body into starvation mode over a longer period of time. High cortisol levels age your fat cells and it's much harder to lose fat from old fat cells than it is to lose them from young fat cells.

Also, remember, you should NOT be aiming to be UNDER your calorie goal. 1200 NET (after exercise) is the minimum amount of calories you should be eating each day. I realize that a lot of people tell you otherwise. Eating less than your goal of 1200 net per day is NOT the key to weight loss. It might work for a while and that will make you feel good, but over time it will break down your muscle tissue and your bone structure and you will cause your body lasting damage. Not to mention, you'll gain the weight back and then you won't be able to lose it as easily. 1200 net calories is the amount you need just to survive and properly function.

Got a headache? Check your caloric intake. And check your water.

Feel tired? Check your caloric intake. And check your water.

Anyway, I hope this helps you.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    ok so recently, I have been eating a little amount of food for breakfast lunch and dinner (like 200-300) But when it comes to after dinner, I eat about 600 calories (I'm still well under my calorie and other nutrition goals for the day). Is it bad to eat little during the day but then eat a lot later toward the night? Or does it not matter as long as you are under your calorie goal?

There is a diet set up where you eat exactly like this.....the warrior diet. The results are awesome from people that follow it.
  • RichGebs
    RichGebs Posts: 345

Do you eat so many calories at night because you essentially starved yourself all day? Is your energy lacking during the day because you are eating so few calories during the day? Is there a reason you want so many calories left at night (i.e. it's when the family eats?)

I'd say if it's natural for your body and your energy levels are fine throughout the day - don't mess with it unless you are finding you aren't losing weight. However, if you feel hungry during the day or tired or just generally lathargic --- I'd rethink your calorie distribution.

General research shows your metabolism works best with a constant source of fuel throughout the day -- so 5 small meals equally spaced. But everyone is different so it's finding what works for you. I tend to fall in the camp of "If it's working for you, keep doing it until it doesn't work and then switch it up."

I don't starve myself during the day I eat 200-300 calories for breakfast and lunch. I eat at night because I have gotten used to enjoying myself a bowl of cereal or a nice snack at night. I lost 10 lbs steadily doing this so far. Anyway I also eat more at night because I treat it like a reward for just being myself and succeeding in my healthy eating and it makes me happy :)
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member

I don't starve myself during the day I eat 200-300 calories for breakfast and lunch. I eat at night because I have gotten used to enjoying myself a bowl of cereal or a nice snack at night. I lost 10 lbs steadily doing this so far. Anyway I also eat more at night because I treat it like a reward for just being myself and succeeding in my healthy eating and it makes me happy :)

If it works for you - stick with it by all means!

I wasn't using starving in the literal sense --- just that if I only ate 400-600 calories throughout the day - I would be "starving" and eat my arm off come night time. Which has happened a few times --- luckily I stopped before the arm nawing, but it wasn't pretty! I also tend to have energy drops throughout the day if I don't stay fueled, but if you don't and it works and you are dropping weight - don't change what works!
  • kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    I eat like this too. I don't starve all day, I eat breakfast , lunch and an afternoon snack. But my breakfast and lunch don't usually go over 300 cals. So far so good here, I've been losing weight at a steady healthy pace with no plateaus. So I say as long as your not going hungry during the day it's fine.

Ditto! I reached my goal weight doing this just about the entire 5 months. My thing is having a treat EVERY evening after dinner. This keeps me from straying as long as I know I get that treat every day to look forward to, so I save at least 200 calories just for that.
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Meal frequency doesn't matter. It's a fallacy. I used to eat 6-7 meals a day. Now I eat two. One lunch and a big dinner. I sometimes snack in between. No biggie. My big meal is consumed after a workout.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 810 Member
    Everthing I read says that the opposite is much better. Eat more in the morning and early afternoon, less in the evening. Also, more carbs in the morning/early afternoon, not so many at night.

I agree. If you eat it earlier in the day you will burn it off. Later in the day can be held onto by the body. You should also eat a fruit and protein (ex. raw almonds) after exercise to help the body recoup.
This discussion has been closed.