I completed my first 1/2 marathon!

Options
Well I did it. It was even harder than I thought it would be but I finished! The race was yesterday morning and it turned out to be at least 75 degrees which was much warmer than I would have liked. I started off strong but out of the blue got a side cramp at mile 3 which luckily went away. Just before my 6 my hip was hurting like crazy but I ignored that as well. I had to take many more walk breaks than I expected I would which drastically slowed my pace down. That part is the most disappointing to me, but my real goal was to finish- not to worry about the time. But for all of you curious...... I finished 13.1 miles in 2:29. I guess not too bad for my first try. I am thrilled that it's over. I can barely walk today but forced myself to do a spin class at the gym and a 1 mile run to work my muscles. They need it!

If I can do this- anyone can!

Replies

• runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    great job!!! I took off work and layed in bed all day the day after my first half!! pretty sure your recovery option was better than mine!!
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Way to go! You're an inspiration. I completed my first 5K in April, signed up for a 10K in August and am looking to do a 1/2 marathon after that. Thanks for the inspiration. You rock!
  • WmCabrera
    WmCabrera Posts: 7
    Options
    Way to go! Great job!!!
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    way to go! I have my first half marathon coming up in August! I'm afraid of the heat! what was i thinking??? (It is for a good cause, so that's why i picked this one..) I think your time is great! The first one is a learning experience I'm sure! Congrats!!!!!!! Wish me luck! :)
  • gavin03
    gavin03 Posts: 39
    Options
    Great Job!!!! That is what it is all about doing something we never thought we can or could do. You proved it to yourself that you can do anything. Keep up the great work.
  • Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 117
    Options
    AMAZING! Very well done to you - you must be buzzing! :) You are where I want to be! Did you use a particular program to accomplish this? I've just completed c25k podrunner intervals and now I've started freeway to 10k - never done distance running in my life til 9 weeks ago!
    Congratulations!
    Netty
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! Awesome job.
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Way to go.....look what you accomplished!!!! Training for my first half in Sept!!!! Cant wait for that "I did it" feeling....there's nothing like it:)
  • kimandal99
    kimandal99 Posts: 52
    Options
    AMAZING! Very well done to you - you must be buzzing! :) You are where I want to be! Did you use a particular program to accomplish this? I've just completed c25k podrunner intervals and now I've started freeway to 10k - never done distance running in my life til 9 weeks ago!
    Congratulations!
    Netty

I sort of followed Hal Higdon's half marathon training but did some adjustments to it to make it work for me. I trained on my own the entire time so maybe that was my downfall. It may have been better to have a running club or running partner so someone was there to push me. I thought I would be the hardest on myself but I did give in and walk way more than I should have yesterday. I should have finished 10 minutes early, but oh well. I did it. And a year and a half ago, I couldnt run to the end of my block!

You can definitely do it! Just keep at it. I am going to need to work more on my endurance and speed- but first I think I will let my legs heal. :)
  • kimandal99
    kimandal99 Posts: 52
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for the congrats! It does feel good - and a bit surreal that it's actually over. I am kind of bummed that I don't have a current goal to work towards.