looking for friends that work out with pain

Options
13»

Replies

• shlygraham
    shlygraham Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oh me! I am trying to lose 50 lbs with fibromyalgia among other issues. Would love to be your friend and anyone else's who wants to add me
  • MKiddo
    MKiddo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm living with fibromyalgia, SI joint issues in my left hip, & serious nerve damage in my outer right thigh. I have a very active job that I can't afford to lose, & I know taking some weight off should at least help relieve a fraction of the pain. It's taken me years to accept that I will have this chronic pain for the rest of my life, & that it's not going to magically disappear. [I also have a history of eating disorders (ednos-r), which is kind of tricky when I try to diet in a healthy, moderate way].
  • sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I'm 22 and have had Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) for about 5 years now. Chronic pain and fatigue and a whole lot of other stuff that just happens to go along with it! It can be tough and there are days where you have no will to get out of bed, but I find weight lifting has actually helped me quite a lot. It's nice to be sore for a reason, rather than just because my body feels like it, haha. It helps me feel like I've regained some control over how I feel!
    I do weight lifting about 4-5 days a week, and a hate cardio with a passion, haha. Eating well is also great - I find if I eat like crap too many days in a row I will start to feel worse again. Some of the medications I take don't exactly help with weight-loss either.

Feel free to add me! :)
  • smpomg
    smpomg Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've got chronic migraines too! It sucks. I'm sending out a round of friend requests to everyone in this thread, having support that understands pain is invaluable. Anyone else can add me if they want, as well. :)
  • DannieRae24
    DannieRae24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I suffer from chronic pain after a head injury with seizures in 2009. Doctors said I wouldn't be able to work, never mind workout! I push through everyday. All things are possible with God!
  • lgube283
    lgube283 Posts: 15 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi there! I have fibromyalgia and am also struggling in my fitness journey due to chronic pain. But we can do it! The long term benefits will outweigh our short term pain. Promise! :)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I feel for all of you. I'm 45yr old with RA and have found some success nearly no meds over the years of many flare ups. I've helped quite a few people with the same condition. Feel free to PM me.
  • CLivingstone05
    CLivingstone05 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Chantal here. I'm almost 39. I was diagnosed with fibro at 15yo. In 2004, dx with lupus except my flares stopped in 2008 and now they're not sure if it was lupus or not. I still have some symptoms. Last year, I fought cervical cancer (2surgeries, chemo and both internal/external radiation) and now am struggling with menopause.
    I also have a hernia, herniated discs, high blood pressure and occasional migraines.
    I'm very very tired.... All day long. But life moves on.
  • CLivingstone05
    CLivingstone05 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oh an hypothyroid at 18 too...
    I'm probably forgetting something else! lol
  • ashleyhetzel92
    ashleyhetzel92 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have type one diabetes and celiac disease, also some chronic pain. You can follow me on Instagram @ashleyhetzel to see things I do! :)

I know sometimes my disease make me feel quite sick and soar and I don't feel like working out at all, some days I don't go at all but you gotta try and stay motivated! :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i have behcets, with myalgia.
    I've got about 30 or 40lbs to lose.
    I know my body sends false signals of pain, so I just keep going.
    I do aerial yoga(easier on my joints). and I just started running. I suck at it but I will keep going because I'm tired of being unhealthy.
  • ejuniper
    ejuniper Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello other chronic pain sufferers!

I have SLE with added issues from ongoing pelvic problems (structural) and nerve/neuropathic/sciatic issues, which are likely exasperated by the lupus. I've recently had prolotherapy to help with the pelvis (made me stronger and able to walk again but did little to my pain). I'm now considering RFN and/or combining that with a hip arthroscope or other pain management approaches. Worst case i'd perhaps look at a fusion, but not really sure if I would go through with it. I didn't walk unassisted for 6 months before I was diagnosed, so I've come a long way (mostly with the aid of meds). I also suffer migraines (since I was a kid).

I've been using MFP for a few months now and walking when I can. I know it would help significantly if I was lighter with less upper body weight bearing down on my pelvis. 5.5kg lost so far though-yay!!

Feel free to add me!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    congrats @ejuniper
  • rgoins374
    rgoins374 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ejuniper wrote: »
    Hello other chronic pain sufferers!

I have SLE with added issues from ongoing pelvic problems (structural) and nerve/neuropathic/sciatic issues, which are likely exasperated by the lupus. I've recently had prolotherapy to help with the pelvis (made me stronger and able to walk again but did little to my pain). I'm now considering RFN and/or combining that with a hip arthroscope or other pain management approaches. Worst case i'd perhaps look at a fusion, but not really sure if I would go through with it. I didn't walk unassisted for 6 months before I was diagnosed, so I've come a long way (mostly with the aid of meds). I also suffer migraines (since I was a kid).

I've been using MFP for a few months now and walking when I can. I know it would help significantly if I was lighter with less upper body weight bearing down on my pelvis. 5.5kg lost so far though-yay!!

Feel free to add me!

Congrats on the weight loss. I had radio frequency done on my cervical spine and lumbar but ended up with a full spine fusion (T5 - S1) since my back was such a mess. Not the most pleasant surgery but I have no regrets. I also have fibromyalgia with accompanying sleep disorder. Since I went on a Ketogenic/Paleo diet, my quality of sleep has improved and I have much less pain. I firmly believe that good quality sleep makes a big difference in the pain level.

I am going to drop this weight so I have less stress on my hips. Since the surgery corrected my scoliosis, my muscles are still trying to adapt to the straightened spine. I am trying to walk more often to speed up the weight loss. 3.5 lb this week.
  • tretoptreece
    tretoptreece Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    zymurgea wrote: »
    I have Trigeminal Neuralgia and still need to lose another 20-30 pounds. I've been on a ketogenic diet since September. No hunger and no real need to exercise on this woe (way of eating). There is also a lot of research on how this diet can help several medical conditions.

You can find numerous videos and articles on ketogenic diets on the web and YouTube.

This past Monday was my SSDI hearing. TN sucks.

Sorry for what you are going through. I suffer from chronic pain from my back and Fibro as well as migraines. I'm only 38 and have put off filing SSDI because of my age, even though one of my many doctors said he would write a letter for me. What advice can you give? I also live in TN so that's what caught my eye in your post. Do they make you jump through hoops?
  • rgoins374
    rgoins374 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    rgoins374 wrote: »
    I am finding my pain can be managed with DoTerra oils. One is called a morphine bomb. It has frankincense, oregano, and lemongrass oils I it along with the coconut oil carrier. I rub it on as much as I want. No chance if overdosing on it

I use patchouli and white fir in fractionated coconut oil. I smell like an old hippie. Lol

I have discovered the hard way I am allergic to the white fir. It makes my hip muscles so tight I can't walk. I have tried 4 different times to use white fir but within 3 days I have the same issues every time. So needless to say I have a bottle of it that I can't use.

Have you tried birch essential oil? I have had success with it also.