"Weight loss help", yes I thought these boards were to help people....

Options
Where exactly are the moderators on these boards? I have been on this website and on these forums for almost a year now and you can clearly tell that half the posts are fake posts (because they are so ridiculous you can tell they are made up) done by fake profiles...Something should be done about this....they are not hard to spot, I was just on an eating disorder board and spotted two right of the bat, one girl claimed to have every disorder known in the world and said she had 1224 pictures of herself on her profile, another girls profile picture was clearly not the same person as her other pictures, and what she said was ridiculous also....what is this? I thought this board was to help people...Are these peoples lives so boring they have to come on a weight loss board and try to make sport of people to make their life less boring? what the hay......

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    If you see something that looks like a troll/fake profile, you can report them.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    you what?
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    The great myfitnesspal forum conspiracy of 2015...

It's happening.

Be careful Grace, if they know your onto them, they might come for you next. Watch out for the black holicopters, they could be there any minute.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    We have an eating disorder board now?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

where?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    GraceCamD wrote: »
    Where exactly are the moderators on these boards? I have been on this website and on these forums for almost a year now and you can clearly tell that half the posts are fake posts (because they are so ridiculous you can tell they are made up) done by fake profiles...Something should be done about this....they are not hard to spot, I was just on an eating disorder board and spotted two right of the bat, one girl claimed to have every disorder known in the world and said she had 1224 pictures of herself on her profile, another girls profile picture was clearly not the same person as her other pictures, and what she said was ridiculous also....what is this? I thought this board was to help people...Are these peoples lives so boring they have to come on a weight loss board and try to make sport of people to make their life less boring? what the hay......

are you sure you posted this on the right forums?

1. MFP only allows for 18 profile pics
    2. MFP has no disorder board
    3. Moderators are all over the place here

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Half the posts are fake, really? Presumably we are discounting the love potions and stuff?
  • jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Hold on, you mean the love potions aren't real?!......Well, I'm going to have an embarrassing first date at the wedding chapel tonight then!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    judging by the amount of people I have seen in "MFP Jail' recently the moderators are alive and well.

and where is this disordered eating board? And why is a profile fake if it has 1224 pictures in it?

If the standard on here for fake profiles was posting ridiculous things we would have about 50 members on the forums, which actually does not sound like a bad idea given the level of derp ….
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    For fake profiles, as we also counting the people who come on, and ask about "Weight Loss Supplement X, have you heard about it?!?!?!"
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    A troll about trolling?

It's too early for troll-ception.

I'm going back to bed.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I'll come back to this one after I've had a coffee.

Maybe it'll make more sense then.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    For fake profiles, as we also counting the people who come on, and ask about "Weight Loss Supplement X, have you heard about it?!?!?!"

or ..

"is this bad?"
  • ndj1979
    Options
    A troll about trolling?

It's too early for troll-ception.

I'm going back to bed.

be afraid, be afraid….
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you can figure out the group search function well enough to find an ED group, you can figure out how to report abusive members by clicking the Abuse flag. If it doesn't rise to abuse status, ignore the person and move on. I mean, really, why get het up over the number of photos a person claims ti have? How is that adversely affecting your life?
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    ACxeTOe.jpg
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Options
    JzAGOb6.jpg
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Options
    If you see something that looks like a troll/fake profile, you can report them.

/thread

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    fwu0pbwk0nz5.jpg

Methinks the OP is on the wrong forum......
    lost.jpg 101.5K
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    edited May 2015
    Options

This has perked my curiosity as well. Is it a group for those in recovery? or is it a private group promoting EDs?

Maybe the OP is referring to the link(s) mentioned in d) below.

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal. A growing list of support resources can be found in our *Eating Disorder Resources page.

*https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources

This discussion has been closed.