Ideas for soft food after mouth surgery

47Jacqueline
47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
I had a 4-hour dental session yesterday where they pulled two teeth and did a bone graft. I'm on soft, mushy, liquid food/nothing hot for a week.

Besides yogurt, protein drinks, ice cream? I'm currently on a food plan that doesn't include dairy, so anything that would let me avoid this would be appreciated. I recognize this is a special circumstance, so I'm not being rigid while I recuperate.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited May 2015
    Banana "icecream" with protein powder blended through, Chia pudding

Soup if you can have warm food, stuff made with ground meat, mashed vegies, eggs/omelette, smoothies
  • 47Jacqueline
    Can't have anything hot. So - no soup, eggs, etc.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Eggs don't need to be hot... You could make them and let them cool down. Shame about the soup though!
  • 47Jacqueline
    Ewe - cold eggs. Yuck. But thanks for the thought. :#
  • 2chubbynow
    2chubbynow Posts: 9 Member
    I had mouth surgery last year and survived on pudding, jello and ice cream and smoothies.
  • amyj514
    amyj514 Posts: 53 Member
    Cream of wheat is just as good at room temp. It gets a little solid, so you may have to mix something in (I would do milk, but you can get creative: mashed banana or avocado, fruit juice or pureed fruit, non-dairy milk, etc). Idk if you can chew soft things, but if you can you could make an avocado egg salad and put it on a soft bread, maybe cut the crusts off if needed? Oh my, now you've got my gears turning; I could go on all day!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Use coconut milk for ice cream, smoothies, etc. It's non-dairy, but still has the calories you need.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Gazpacho, vichyssoise?

Egg salad, applesauce, mashed potatoes (or other root vegetables), oatmeal/porridge.
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Jello, froyo.. I make my own popsicle-- I freeze coconut juice, fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc (pick your fave fruit mixed with club soda or electrolyte water)..
  • Swuddly
    Swuddly Posts: 16 Member
    Hummus by the spoonful.
    Mashed up avocado with salt and pepper--delicious and really filling.
    Oatmeal, brought down from hot to warm-ish (like cool enough to feed a baby, but not so cold it congeals).
    2 parts peanut butter with one part milk-of-choice (or even water), stir, stir, stir (and stir some more), and you get a sort of fluffy peanut butter dip/pudding. You even do it on a 1:1 ratio, but then it's pretty thin.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    I had a 4-hour dental session yesterday where they pulled two teeth and did a bone graft. I'm on soft, mushy, liquid food/nothing hot for a week.

Besides yogurt, protein drinks, ice cream? I'm currently on a food plan that doesn't include dairy, so anything that would let me avoid this would be appreciated. I recognize this is a special circumstance, so I'm not being rigid while I recuperate.

Wow, my double is out there !!!! I did the same thing on Tues.. though I don't limit dairy.
    Nothing last night, to painful. I stocked up on pudding, soup (I can have it warm), yogurt, ice cream. Applesauce sounds good, and oatmeal (cooled, not hot)
    I feel like I have been in a fight this morning.... ouch..
    Good Luck.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    You could do soup/stew and purée it (like I do for my baby) and eat it when it cools down. Scrambled egg, mashed potato, rice pudding, smoothie...

I had all 4 wisdom teeth taken out a few years ago and that's what I did.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Room temperature soup (really, it's totally fine)
    Overnight oats or room temperature oatmeal
    Avocado
    Pasta
    Mashed potatoes/carrots/cauliflower
    Sausage
    Pancakes
    Ground meat
    Eggs
    Bread (no crust)
    Protein shakes

I survived almost 2 weeks on that last year when I had my wisdom teeth removed, and still lost weight while not being hungry, just have no to use it as an excuse to just go for the easy high calorie stuff. It did make it easier to be able to eat yogurt, ricotta etc though.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Mashed potatoes were a godsend after I had my wisdom teeth out.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Go with anyfood you want, just use a Vitamix (or something simular) to smooth it out. This way you can still enjoy your foods that you like it is just a different texture.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Might sound weird, but after my husband had his bone graft and dental implant surgeries, he ate a lot of sushi. Stuff like raw salmon is soft enough "gum down" without real chewing, and it's amazing protein to help with healing.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Add water to any food and put it in a blender.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    After my wisdom teeth came out I didn't eat for a few days (too tired/loopy from the meds) but then I was STARVING. I made a big bowl of mashed beans, avocado, sour cream, and salsa. I ate like 1/4 of it because it was too filling.
  • 47Jacqueline
    rushfive wrote: »

Wow, my double is out there !!!! I did the same thing on Tues.. though I don't limit dairy.
    Nothing last night, to painful. I stocked up on pudding, soup (I can have it warm), yogurt, ice cream. Applesauce sounds good, and oatmeal (cooled, not hot)
    I feel like I have been in a fight this morning.... ouch..
    Good Luck.

Yes! It looks like someone punched me in the face. :D And it's black and blue as well. I'm using Arnicare for the bruising.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Mashed potatoes sound great. I have sweet potatoes in the house, which I'll use this evening.

I bought stuff for smoothies, then remembered I broke my smoothie blender a while back. I guess I'll replace it tomorrow.

Today I've been eating yogurt and bananas. I'm not so fond of yogurt, but it's fast and easy.

One problem is I had an emergency extraction on the other side a couple of months ago, so my ability to chew is limited. :#
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Tapioca is my go to. Comforting.