What kind of dog is the best

Options

Replies

• cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I love all kinds of dogs. But I have a type of dog called a pekepoo (half pekingnese half poodle) My family has had 4 over the years. They have all been child friendly, loveable, sweet cuddly and playful. They all also shared the house with other dogs, cats and numerous small animals (rabbits,mice,hamsters, gerbils etc) and reptiles (Iguana,turtles,chameleons) and got along fine.

This is my baby

580782_10150924278211650_2115985751_n.jpg

417987_10150553445336650_410944644_n.jpg

314631_10150299901856650_233679400_n.jpg
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    Adopt don't buy. Please don't buy. Please don't buy. Over 9 million dogs and cats were put down in 2011. Please adopt and save a life instead of buying.

Unless you are very active and can exercise the dog daily don't get any herding breeds. I have to explain to clients all the time why their dog tears up the house and that a daily walk is not enough for most of them.

Go to your local shelter or check out petfinder and look through the adoption groups.

No breeds are born aggressive. It takes time and patience and effort. It is a lifetime commitment.

I'm sure once you start looking someone will pick you out or find you. One of mine picked me at the shelter. The other was found by a friend in bad shape in a ditch. We were meant to be together.

Spay and Neuter!
  • Bittersweet82
    Options
    the best breed is a rescue...I think they tend to try harder the second time around

Our rescue is a beagle/basett and he's a love
  • PinkyFran
    Options
    I don't think there's any such thing as a bad dog, I think its all about the training. If you put in enough time when they are a pup they will reward you with good behaviour. That being saig, I have a German Shepherd who is an absolute idiot, wouldn't change him tho.

i agree any dog is as best as any other, i have a jack russell who are apparently notorious for snapping and biting, mine is a darling! took training......but hey didnt we all?????
  • zmzmzm19
    zmzmzm19 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Golden Retrievers have great dispositions and are adorable in every way. :happy:
    ^^^^^^^^
    THIS!! We have 2 Golden's, a brother and sister, and they are a JOY!! their disposition is like no other, they are happy, patient, playful, and loyal to the endth degree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy:
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I vote for Labs. Easy to train, and gentle.

IMG_7931.jpg
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options
    Trick question: none.
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    That said, our lab/golden retriever never met a stranger. He's worthless as a guard dog :tongue:

We have a Golden and he's the same way! :smile: And while it's true that there are no guarantees, Goldens have been bred for centuries to have a soft bite and be good with people/children. We also have a Maltese if you want something small; he's the sweetest dog, too
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    <<--- This is Astrid. She is a 3 month old pit bull mix I got from a local shelter. She is amazing! She is the mellowest dog I've ever met. She does really well with my kids, is great around other dogs, and has been very easy to train. Pits are smart and want to please their owners, so training is easy.

Ultimately, a dog is what you make it. Train it properly and it will behave beautifully.
  • Bittersweet82
    Options
    263_98.jpg

Corgi if that's not the cutest thing you've ever seen you don't have a soul.

awwwwwwwww!!!!!! very cute!!!!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    mybestbreed.com

Check out that website. You'll find your answer there.
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Puggle - Pug/Beagle mix or a Chug... a pug/chiuaua mix. These breeds (and pugs) looks like puppies all their lives... and they are fun and playful. I have two puggles. But I have also had 2 poodles, several muts, greyhound, shizu (sp?) golden retreiver, lab and a great dane. All dogs are pretty cool though. :)
  • dubist
    dubist Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    A cat.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I am all for a rescued dog, I picked up my Gunny (Chihuahua/rat terrier mix - mostly rat terrier) He is the sweetest little boy I could ever ask for, granted useless as a guard dog, but love him to death.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    <---- I have a Wire Fox Terrier and she is awesome. Lot's of stamina and energy if you want to take them hiking or on a long run. The only bad thing is you can't let them off their leash (at least mine anyway). They're very independent and will run off at the first sight of a squirrel or rabbit. They're great though. We went hiking today and my dog just kept going and going and going.
    As far as temperament, my dog loves everybody and gets so excited when people walk up to her.

Not to mention Wire Fox Terriers are freaking cute.
  • BTheGreatest
    Options
    LABS all the way!! Lost mine due to old age recently and he was beyond amazing!!
  • BTheGreatest
    Options
    Love your puppy baby!!:heart:
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    Looking to a rescue group is an excellent idea - often the dogs are in a foster home and the fostering family can tell you much about the dog's personality.

I have two greyhounds (greyt hounds) now, and they're my first of this breed. The resuce group in my state (teamgreyhound.com) rescues the dogs from race tracks and then they go to a prison. The dog is paired up with an inmate who's gone through training in working with these dogs. They get the dog used to socializing and teach some basic commands. It's a wonderful program for both the dogs and the inmates, I think. Once they've 'graduated' they move to a foster home. They're checked to see if they're cat-safe and how they do with other dogs, children, etc.

Greyhounds are generally very calm dogs and are easy to be with. You will need a fenced yard as they're bred/trained to run and will usually takeoff like a bullet if given the opportunity. Mine were both completely accident free as they're used to keeping their home (their crate) clean. They need to go for walks on a leash, but don't require super long walks, tons of exercise, or running as many people assume.

No matter what breed you chose, or even a mutt, please do rescue - less cost for you, and so wonderful for the animal :flowerforyou:

I have a greyhound/pit mix. He is a very fast kisser. lol. Greyhounds really are calm. Mine sleeps under the covers with me and snuggles. I love to watch him run his laps in the yard. The lab mix watches too. She can't keep up.
  • milismalley
    Options
    My English Bull, Einstein, is the best!! Oh wait... I meant Beast!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    my dog is best haha

No, MY dog is the best. Isn't she cute? Actually, the best dog is the one the best suit one's lifestyle and living situation. I did a ton of research on what kind of dog I wanted and would fit me before I decided. My dog does not shed, she doesn't annoy the neighbors standing at the gate barking, she adores me, does not require more exercise than casual walks around the neighborhood. She is long-lived and not prone to genetic health issues.

But really. Many dogs can be the best. . . depends on what exactly you are looking for. Take some on-line quizzes on dog breeds.