What kind of dog is the best

Options
cindys0417
cindys0417 Posts: 1,097 Member
Hi..Just a question..Im looking for a dog that is good with other people,other animals and even temperament.....What kind of dog do you think I should get??. I had a dog about 4 years ago but I had to put him down due to bad health. I had him for 15 years. He was the best dog but at times, very territorial...If ya know what I mean. He was Chow/Lab but mostly chow. He didnt like strangers unless we told him it was ok... Just wondering what you thought... Thanks!

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking for an older rescue dog, with a known temperament. You can never guarantee what you'll get, even with a given breed. That said, our lab/golden retriever never met a stranger. He's worthless as a guard dog :tongue:
  • onefournine
    Options
    Boxer. You will not find another breed that is better with children and other animals. Ours is a joy, and so loving. They are also total clowns, and will have you laughing from day one. He's in my avatar, sitting still, wearing my sunglasses. He is amazing, and when he passes my wife and I are going to be inconsolable.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    my dog is best haha
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any such thing as a bad dog, I think its all about the training. If you put in enough time when they are a pup they will reward you with good behaviour. That being saig, I have a German Shepherd who is an absolute idiot, wouldn't change him tho.
  • rukus1
    rukus1 Posts: 112
    Options
    Cindy, we had a golden retrevier. They are the sweetest dogs, she was l5 when we had to put her down..it's been five years and we still miss her..
  • pattie317
    pattie317 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    English Springer Spaniels are the BEST!! I love my dog!!
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Lab. I have a chocolate lab and even as a puppy, he has been the most gentle with kids and babies, friendly with guests, super loyal and always happy. He's really playful and loves to cuddle. I had a german shepard/chow mix growing up and she'd snap sometimes...chows can be tempremental

Oh and my dog loves other animals. He's had dogs snarl in his face and he still wants to try and be friends. His best animal friends are my 2 siamese cats. He actually will gently pick up the younger cat (his "baby") by his nape and carry him over to the dog bed and lay down and cuddle for a nap. Doesn't hurt my cat one bit and the cat loves it. Its the cutest thing.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You"ll probably get a lot of different answers! Different breeds tend to have different temperaments, but there's so much individual variation within the breed that it is hard to predict what an individual dog will be like. I'm a big fan of getting a dog from a rescue group. Too many loving animals get euthanized every year for want of a good home. Many rescue groups will let you (or even require you) to foster the dog in your home for a week or two to make sure it's the right dog for your household. Go browse on www.petfinder.com (assuming you are in the USA) for an idea of what dogs are available in your area.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what kind of dog you get, in order for it to be well mannered it needs to be socialized often with other dogs, people, and places and have at least basic obedience skills. The biggest German shepherd can be the most laid-back dog while the cute little chihuahua can be a terror, it all depends on how they are trained. It takes a lot of time and effort to have a well mannered dog.

We have a German Shepherd and a Border Collie and we train both of them for search and rescue.
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    We have a three year old Pug. He has short hair, is a lap dog (sometimes), kind of a watchdog, and is a total mush when he's tired. And his name is Frank, but we didn't name him after the Men In Black movie. :wink:
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    You need a dog to match your lifestyle/energy level. I have a husky/boxer mix and a pitbull. I love them to pieces and they fit my lifestyle. Which is VERY ACTIVE. I bike my husky mix around the neighborhood and teach her new tricks and things all the time and I walk my pitbull and we cuddle in the evening.

Do your research and take your time. Rescue and love endlessly. My advice is to borrow/buy some books on how to decide what you are looking for in a fur baby and go from there. Think about what you can offer them and if it is good enough, what they deserve/want. You will find your match :)
  • jencooks
    jencooks Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    We have a 4 year old puggle (pug, beagle). She has a great temperament and is fabulous with my kids; she isn't the best smelling dog though...
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Chows yeah what we've all heard about them. All the above breeds I have heard before are as described. I do know unless you exercise some dogs A LOT they'll go nutz. ie: Border Collies.... Irish Setters are said to be super good family dogs but anything I've ever read about them says they are well...... to be politically incorrect...... stupid. WoW. What a decision. Let us know what you end up with. I love the guy who said the best dog is "My Dog"
  • weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    You will get a ton of different responses here, everyone has their favourites. ours are Yorkies, this pair is our second set in 25 years and to us they are everything you would want in a dog that becomes a member of the family. But I would suggest doing some on-line research, try googling the traits in dogs you are looking for, and then add size etc and see what it comes up with. At least it's a starting point. And any dog who goes to a good home, be it purebred or rescue or shelter will be the best dog for you, because that is what you chose.. Good luck and have fun. Post pics when you get your new family member...
  • DirtydianaP
    DirtydianaP Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Our best dogs have been Pugs, Yorkies, and Border Collies. I've always heard that labs are the best but they do shed!
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    <
    Well, shih tzu, of course!! :flowerforyou:
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    If this thread is up long enough every breed available will be spoken for. I've had shepards, Boxers, Malmutes, Wolf mixes, beagles, chow mixes and now own a Siberian Husky. I've actually had time to work with this dog and have him fairly well trained. He's been a blast to have around. Good luck on what ever you decide...the best part of owning a dog is the undying love...he's happy to see you after 10 minutes or after 10 hours...
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    We have a three year old Pug. He has short hair, is a lap dog (sometimes), kind of a watchdog, and is a total mush when he's tired. And his name is Frank, but we didn't name him after the Men In Black movie. :wink:

Pugs are great!

I have three pugs - Yoda (13), Mojo (12) and Wookie (6). I grew up with big dogs, and didn't think I'd like any small dog. But after college, I lived by myself in a small apartment with a 25lb. limit on dog size. I did a ton of breed research and ended up with a pug! I think they have a big dog personality packed into a little dog's body. I think I'll always have a pug in my life now!

My three are gentle, quiet, affectionate and playful. They're very portable and love to travel with us.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    I have a pitbull and he has the best tempermant i've seen on a dog, he loves people, very friendly, will lick you to death or beat you with his tail, he never barks or growls at the other dogs in our neighborhood. people think it's a mean breed, but depends on how you raise it and also some people give their pits steroids to buff them up, and if people can suffer from roid rage, so can dogs. he does require lots and lots of attention tho, and always wants to be touching you
  • jicarter01
    Options
    German Shepherd