What kind of dog is the best

Options

Replies

• cindys0417
    cindys0417 Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    Shih tsu.. small, hypo allergenic, no shedding, freakin adorable, and an amazing personality. This is Rosie Posie...

rosieposie.jpg

SO CUTE!!
  • schume89
    schume89 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    <
    this one!! I love my little cockapoo! He is hypoallergenic, adorable and super loyal to me :)
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Animal Planet has a series called Dogs 101, and I also think they have an online tool that guides you to compatible breeds for your family/lifestyle. Dogs 101 goes through a bunch of different breeds and breaks down their health, behavior, if they're good with other animals or cats or kids.

Growing up, I've had a terrier of some sort, a German Shepherd, a poodle/setter mix and a beagle/shepherd/bird dog mix. A friend has an English Mastiff, and he thinks he's a lapdog at ~250 lbs! He's an awesome dog, but definitely has to have room!
  • MarthaAnn8186
    MarthaAnn8186 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had a pit bull who was great with all of my animals, loved people, and he was a favorite at the vets. I had to put him down due to cancer. That being said they are a great responsibility since so many think they are an aggressive breed. Also ins. companies can tell you they won't renew home owners ins. I know, cause it happened to me, because of my wonderful dog.
  • allisona28
    allisona28 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    ANY RESCUE!!!!
  • free2live72003
    Options
    I have a miniature schnauzer and she is so kind, laid back, friendly, and no trouble---very good company.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    English Springer Spaniels are the BEST!! I love my dog!!

Best dog I ever had! I miss my Oliver!!!!
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Just look at my profile pic and you'll know my choice
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Boxers, Labs, Pits are all great breeds.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have a german shepherd/ rottie mix. Sweetest dog ever. She's a complete pushover with other animals. My cats have dominance over her. Kind of hilarious since she's an 85 lb puppy.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I vote for pit bulls, they are is such a desperate need of good loving homes with experienced owners. But, I am biased.

Do a search online for breeds. There are some good sites that will do like a questionnare and try to match up a breeds typical characteristics to your characteristics and lifestyle. Also watch dogs 101 per another suggestion. DO LOTS OF RESEARCH!!! I did a ton and you wouldnt believe how helpful it is and what a great dog mine is for me because of it. Look into temprement testing scores ( pits do fabulously on these :) ) Check out who needs a home in your local shelters. They need it so badly. I cannot stress enough how much I push for you to adopt from a shelter rather than buy an extremely expensive purebred.

Good luck!!
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    A rescue!!!
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend rescue. There are thousands of homeless dogs that need someone to love them. If you have a good rescue organization in your area, they can match you with a dog that meets your needs. You can also look on petfinder.com for rescue dogs in your area.

^ this ^

I have had nothing but rescues since moving to Texas 28 years ago ~ all different breeds. I have had a shar-pei, a miniature schnauzer, a chihuahua, 4 mixed lab/great danes & a pit bull mix. All have had great temperaments & none of them had their typical breed characteristics. I really do think rescue dogs are the best. They are grateful for a forever home & shower you with love unconditionally!!

I so agree!! Rescues are AMAZING dogs to adopt. It's like they know how lucky they are to not be out on the streets, or in the shelter anymore. Both of my dogs are rescues, one was abused and one was homeless. They are so happy, so well mannered, playful, great with people of any age. Plus there's nothing better than giving a dog a good home that doesn't have one :-)
  • asasser2002
    Options
    No particular breed is guaranteed to be what you're looking for. I HIGHLY recommend going to a rescue group. Dogs that are part of a rescue have been in fostercare with a family so the foster family will know everything that you could want to know about the dog. :) Don't shop, Adopt! :) Note: my Pekingese is the most evil dog you'll ever meet, she's fearless.... On the other hand my Husky/Shepherd mix that everyone thinks is going to bite them is a huge teddy bear!
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Shih tsu.. small, hypo allergenic, no shedding, freakin adorable, and an amazing personality. This is Rosie Posie...

rosieposie.jpg

Or Maltese. Same qualities as above. It's the only breed I had from 1988-2010. I miss them.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a million different opinions on this.
    I personally think my dog is the best dog in the world.
    But everyone thinks their dog is the greatest.

I can honestly say I won't ever get another breed, because the German Shepherd is perfect (for me).

Any socialized dog will do what you're looking for...
    Think about what YOU can do for the dog.
    Look at your lifestyle and activity level.
    How are you with shedding?
    Different breeds have common medical problems so if you're lower on cash look into 'healthier' breeds.
    Plus... The bigger the dog, the more food you'll have to buy.
    Small, medium or large... Would your house/apartment be big enough for a large dog?
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I grew up with a lab and I have a lab now. She's the sweetest most loving dog ever! She is great with kids and she is the least tempermental dog I know. Our lab growing up was amazing as well. They are very laid back and great with people, kids, and dogs.
  • lundii
    lundii Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    What about a löwchen... also called: little lion dog.
    It is hypoallergenic, friendly to everyone, loyal....
    we have one and we love her very much.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Löwchen
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    It's a very personal decision. Personally, I love a dog that isn't always yelping and nipping but is laid back yet protective. So, I have a big shepherd mix. I've had shepherd/chows and love them. I like a big dog for companionship and protection. They tend to be calm and relaxed and that keeps me calm and relaxed. My dog is also good with cats, which is important to me.

Some people like the little dogs. A dog should compliment you and your personality and should work in well with your lifestyle. There are no bad dog choices. You just need to determine what you want in a dog.
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have a chocolate lab-she's a year old and a complete psycho! lol But really so much energy! But she's a great dog-extremely loving and loyal. Such a sweetheart--huge cuddler. She's a big girl already weighs about 75 lbs and thinks she can curl up on my lap. Like I said a great dog if you can dedicate the time to the amount of exercise they need.

I also have a papillion-she's 4 yrs and a complete little *kitten*. I love her, but can be a real pain in the *kitten*. She's very high-strung and territorial. Papillions are just like that. I've had her socialized, etc and while she does great at a daycare playing with other dogs don't dare come to up to the house with another dog. That being said she has an incredible personality otherwise and is probably the funniest little dog I have ever met. If you're just looking for a companion and something to keep company they're great-she sits there a "talks" to me. Extremely easy to care for as far as exercise and leaving her out. But a handful.

B/t the two dogs I'll be fully prepped for motherhood. One won't let me go to the bathroom without her. The other brings in "prizes" from outside--specially moths, crickets, and frogs.