Where Should It Hurt?

Options
I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for a few weeks now and I'm noticing a little snag that has me concerned. I've noticed that when I squat, I'm getting pain and twinges in my knees. It wasn't such a problem when I first started, but this morning I did 92.5 lbs and I had to actually take 90 seconds between sets to recover. What really concerns me isn't so much the pain, it's the location. I'm not getting it in the belly of the muscle like I've been taught to expect. I'm getting it a few inches above the knee.

So, my question is this: is that a sign of strengthening muscles or am I somehow trolling for an injury here? I feel like I have proper form when I squat and do all these exercises, but I've never done hardcore lifting and I don't have a spotter or anyone to advice me at present.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    OP it's a good idea to post a video of you squatting so we can critique your form.

It's probably best you get someone to check your form if you think its off, and perhaps see a doctor/physiotherapist if the pain persists and you're worried about it.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Knee pain in squats is usually a sign of poor form. The knees need to be directly over the toes/feet. Do not let them splay outwards or tuck inwards as you go down. Also, stopping before you get your butt below your knees and trying to go back up will put more strain on the knees.

It would be a good idea to have a personal trainer familiar with lifting to check you out as you squat to see exactly where the "hitch" is in your form. If your form checks out with the trainer, then it is definitely time to get checked out by qualified medical professionals.
  • Lady_Senie
    Lady_Senie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Got it! Thanks for the tips
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Also could be caused by bearing the weight towards the front of the feet. Keep your toes pointed outwards around 45 degrees and bear the load on your heels (should feel like your heels are digging into the ground, not your toes).