Needing help with diet!

Options
I just started a week ago and I am currently on a 1650 calorie per day diet. I've been following it fairly well but I have been noticing some odd things happening late in the afternoon (2-5 o' clock). I start to feel light headed, nauseous, and often get a headache. To me, this sounds like low blood sugar.

I have a protein drink for breakfast, usually a small snack before lunch (orange/cliff bar) and then for lunch I have been frequently having turkey lettuce wraps, fruit, peanut butter, etc. I have a small snack in the afternoon as well, usually rice puffs or (again) a small halo/orange. But, like I said, late afternoon usually has me feeling very weak.

I need suggestions! Should I change what I'm eating? How much I'm eating? Or is my body just not used to the lower amount of calories I'm consuming?

Help!

Replies

• buffveganme
    buffveganme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Add protein to every meal/snack. Your afternoon noon snack choices are doing 'nothing' for your blood sugar levels and energy. Nuts with or rice puffs or nut butters. Perhaps some yogurt with your orange or cottage cheese if you like it. Cut up veggies with hummus is a good one too...there's lots!
    Good luck:)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? It's hard to judge unless we know height/weight etc!

I feel better eating bigger meals with plenty of protein and fat, other people like eating small meals across the day... It takes experimenting to work out what works for you!
  • LittleDBJunior
    LittleDBJunior Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Add protein to every meal/snack. Your afternoon noon snack choices are doing 'nothing' for your blood sugar levels and energy. Nuts with or rice puffs or nut butters. Perhaps some yogurt with your orange or cottage cheese if you like it. Cut up veggies with hummus is a good one too...there's lots!
    Good luck:)

Didn't think of that, thank you! I'll try it!
  • LittleDBJunior
    LittleDBJunior Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? It's hard to judge unless we know height/weight etc!

I feel better eating bigger meals with plenty of protein and fat, other people like eating small meals across the day... It takes experimenting to work out what works for you!

I am 5'3" at 135 lbs. eating 1650 calories. I workout 30 min-1 hr per day. Just looking to slim down a few pounds and take control of what I'm eating! I like to eat small meals throughout the day, but maybe I'll try something heavier in the afternoon. Thank you!!!
  • georginabain
    georginabain Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you have drastically changed your diet this is a normal part of your body detoxing.

If it continues much longer than a week look at adding more protein for sure!

Also, remember not all calories have the same value! A prepackaged snack may have 70 calories but 70 calories of protein, veg or healthy fats will keep you fuller for longer as you can usually have more!

This is all just from my own experiences & articles I have read. I am in no way an expert, just offering a bit of support & advice.

Best wishes
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    If you have drastically changed your diet this is a normal part of your body detoxing.

Not true.

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    OP, I'd recommend making sure you're getting enough calories in. Having protein packed meals can help, as well as meals/snacks with fats as well.

I generally have two hard boiled eggs with breakfast (when I eat it), a cheese stick for a snack, and then a meal with a huge serving of protein in it for lunch. Keeps me full, and the "I'm hungry" headaches away.