Replies

• SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I think maintaining weight is harder.
  • karensuegill
    karensuegill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am just starting on maintenance and I am having a hard time psychologically. Of course I went off track over the long weekend and have just gained some, so I am back to a calorie deficit. But I have to figure out some new goals to shoot for and how to celebrate the scale staying the same. It's all in how you look at it. I want to be able to relax a little more without going into a full out binge. I know for me I have to stay away from high sugar foods. They are a big trigger for me. I have found many of the comments on here very helpful. Everyone is different and I have to find what works for me.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The hardest part for me was switching off the "must make changes" mentality. I went from a couch potato to reasonably athletic. That should have been enough. But instead I wanted to keep improving. And while on the surface, striving to improve sounds fantastic, for me, it just fed my insecurities and made me feel obsessed. Not saying it works that way for everyone. But for me, it was part of the reason I got burnout. There were a lot of other factors, but it was a big one.

So this time around, I'm looking for the happy medium. I don't neeeeeeeeeed to get any faster or stronger or have a lower body fat percentage. If it happens, great. But I'm not going to feel disappointed if it doesn't.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've got the maintaining part pretty much down due to failing to lose my 3 pounds for a year... so I got to say that maintaining is easier, lol.
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is tough for me because I haven't yet found the balance.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I think there is no harder or easier. The two are very different. In maintenance you lose the joy of seeing your weight go down. On the other hand you can eat more, which is great.

I have been in maintenance for a couple of months now. My new goals are fitness related and I'm currently training for a full marathon. I also do not go by daily calorie goals anymore but I look at the overall calories for a whole week. If I go overboard one day, I will make up one of the next. This takes away the stress of staying within my daily calorie goal and I can still maintain my weight.

Nevertheless I'm aware that this is a lifestyle change and not a journey with a specific end. I will never be able to eat the way I ate before I started my weight loss journey, but then I feel much happier, healthier and more energetic.

Stef.
  • bunnypy
    bunnypy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    For me maintenance is harder. Almost there again, so we'll see how I fair this time.

I'm an all or nothing kind of person, I don't do well with moderation.
    When I'm trying to lose, it's easy to cut down calories. Just say no to a lot of stuff and work out.
    It's simple.

Maintenance on the other hand allows for more food, and since I don't intend to never eat cookies or cake again, I struggle to not go overboard. Learning moderation is going to be the hardest part.

LOL that's me right here, with freedom comes a huuuuuge responsibility!!!
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Maintaining for 4 months now! Easier to maintain definitely . The scale does not define me now! I can buy clothes that are not plus sizes (paying less!) eat what I want ,but I know in moderation. Just be mindful of what I snack on,exercise regularly (cause it's a lifestyle) . Loving it! Btw, I'm no longer counting calories . :) calories are not important cause I know my eating pattern now. Former fat girls rule because we know we've worked hard, and now it's to enjoy the new found me that I've sweat, pushed and earned for. Reward the new me by not abusing my body. Eat better , live better, and just be accountable for what I eat.

As long as I can fit into my clothes. No problem!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, 4.5 months to lose 30 lbs and 45 more years or so to stay at maintenance.... that might give you a clue as to how I feel... I maintained for 20 years before my weight gain (which happened over 4 years), and now maintaining at my lower weight again for over a year with a loooong road ahead. Maintenance is so much more difficult because it's forever, lol.
  • rubyjune27
    rubyjune27 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight successfully more times than I can remember (last 2 times lost 50lbs on each occasion). Have never maintained and always regained, so to date I haven't succeeded so it has been beyond my ability- so maintenance for me is harder. Hoping following this period of weight loss will then master the skills of maintaining.

Like others on here I am either very in control or out of control with food - haven't found the happy medium yet.(I am in my 50's when am I going to learn)!

But, reading posts on this site has given me a lot of good advice which I plan on following when back to my target weight.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Comparatively speaking maintaining is the FAR more challenging of the two simply because the statistics are X amount of people can lose the weight every year but less than 50% are able to keep it off. Why?

The challenge is that weight loss is a definitive start to goal ie. Im going to lose X weight to be X .... but maintenance has no quantify specific goal per say because basically it is the 'rest of your life.' And that conclusion can be very daunting & overwhelming.

That's why fad diets may be great for weight loss but have high failure rate in maint. Most of the eating regiment in said fad diet just can't be maintained.

The key to maintaining is the mentality ... at least for me. When I understood that there is no 'finish line' and that I just have to continue to practice the good habits I've groomed from weight loss for the rest of my life ... that is when maint. became a seamless part of my life and not another temporary phase to endure.

Also, I practice a form of the 80/20 Rule which has helped TREMENDOUSLY to make the whole 'rest of my life' bit less scary and continue to set goals for myself. I am currently working on upper body definition. When I feel like I have achieve that I will move on the another goal. Goals keep me motivated and focused just like in wt loss so maybe that is something you can try.

Best of luck to you!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I find it much more difficult to remain consistent while maintaining weight. This puts me in a constant lose or gain struggle. When it's all about losing weight I'm definitely more focused. What are your thoughts?

I love the pursuit of maintaining a healthy lifestyle, it keeps me occupied daily. My goal is to remain consistent and maintain weight. Accountability is vital throughout the process as well as patience.

that's the key...pursuit of a healthy lifestyle. *kitten* doesn't change just because you go to maintenance...the only difference between cutting and maintenance is a handful of calories...I eat the same things...I still eat my black beans and scrambled eggs for breakfast...I still eat my big *kitten* salad and some kind of protein for lunch...I still eat a lot of fish and chicken and other sources of lean protein...I still eat a *kitten* ton of veg and some fruit and some whole grains and focus on healthy sources of fat...I still exercise regularly. These are all things you do in pursuit of a healthy lifestyle regardless of your weight control goals.

Your pursuit of wellness and a healthy life doesn't end just because you hit some arbitrary number on the scale. Pursuit of health and wellness is a life long endeavor.