Peanut Butter?

Options
I LOVE peanut butter, and I know it has a good amount of protein, but it is loaded with calories. My natural jif has a whopping 190 calories in one serving (2 tablespoons). Is there any alternative out there that has less calories? Thanks!

Replies

• JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    There is, can't think of the names right now but my gf who is the PB lover got this powdered stuff you mix up into something similar to PB. But tbh it's not the same and I don't think you will find any replacement that you will realistically like on an equal level.

Just twiddle your macros and make it fit! You know you can do it :wink:
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    There are powdered ones, but personally i like the jif Whipped. Its 140 cal per 2 tablespoons, and spreads so well you can get away with using 1/2 to 3/4 serving. Most importantly, it tastes like PB...

Edit - 140 cal for 2 Tbsp

Oh and PB doesnt really do much for you in terms of protein - its mostly fat. Protein content is actually pretty low.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Are you eating it as is or are you mixing it in something like a smoothie? I used powdered peanut butter (PB2 brand) in my chocolate shake in the morning. You can reconstitute it with water, but I don't find it is very good in things like a sandwich or with fruit.
  • pinklark
    pinklark Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    PB2 is one brand of powdered peanut butter
  • kskinnyperfect
    kskinnyperfect Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use pb2. There are 2 different flavores. It's powdered pb and u add water . I can't say it tastes the same but for 45 calories for 2tbsp it does the job :)
  • kskinnyperfect
    kskinnyperfect Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    55 my bad *
  • racingislife97
    racingislife97 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love my daily Creamy Jif PB sandwich at lunch, topped with either banana slices or Polaner suger-free jam/preserves.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Some people like PB2; some people hate it. You can give it a try. Last time I tried it, they were doing free samples. I just want to point out that the fat in peanut butter is healthy and helps with satiety.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    PB2, its a good alternative. No matter what people say, it doesnt have the same flavor as peanut butter but it is similar with a fraction of the calories. Also JIF whips are good, its 140 calories for two tablespoons. I love peanut butter so much I just make it work.
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've used Betty Lou's Just Great Stuff powdered peanut butter. 2 Tbsp are 45 calories. It is okay... The texture just isn't the same no matter how much water you mix with it. I have a friend who swears it cuts that peanut butter craving for her, but it just doesn't do it for me.

However, I did enjoy mixing a Tbsp of the peanut butter powder in a bowl of oatmeal. That was mighty tasty. But as a creamy spread, it was lacking.
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    pbco-dcd-2012-web-lrg.jpg

170 calories per 2 Tbsp.

I ate a whole jar of this once.....

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    This is easier for me to fit in since the macros are better.

Thank me later.

Nuts-N-More-Peanut-Butter-609132002427.jpg
    peanut-butter-nutrition-facts.gif
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Thank me later.

Whoa! Look at the protein! Nice!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

Thank me later.

Does it taste as good as peanut butter?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Thank me later.

Does it taste as good as peanut butter?

Not exactly, but very close. Kinda like the difference between 2% milk and whole milk. I guess it would depend on how sensitive your taste buds are. Mine are perfectly content. They have a variety of nut butters on their site as well.

• inked_Calimom82
    inked_Calimom82 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I eat almond butter instead of peanut butter. Same calorie amount I think but more protein but I rarely eat it. Maybe like 1tbs once a week or so when I have a green apple snack and want something with it.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I've yet to find an acceptable alternative. I just eat plain peanut butter (peanuts only) and make it fit in my day. For awhile I was eating the low-sodium Better'n Peanut Butter. Has half the calories of PB with a sweet undertone. Not bad, but just not the same as real PB. Can't stand the PB2 powders. Way to salty tasting for me. My friend uses them though to flavor her smoothies.
  • zchastain
    zchastain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you're looking at peanut butter to get your protein in you're probably looking in the wrong place. The calorie/protein ratio is pretty high, especially when compared to chicken, beef, pork, etc. However, if you're looking for nutty, creamy deliciousness then you're in the right place. And there is no acceptable substitute!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter and work it into my food budget as a fat.