Calories burned

Options
Is there a recommended site to use that calculates exercise carried out and shows the calories burned due to this. Many thanks for your help I'm trying to get the hang if this :-/

Replies

• prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The site you are on right now.
    Have you found the Getting Started forum - loads of useful information there.
  • carlylou999
    carlylou999 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys but jumping jacks doesn't seem to be there :-/ and wall push ups (the girly way but starting slow )
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Just put it in as bodyweight strength training, or circuit training or similar
  • carlylou999
    Options
    Yh I just wished that certain exercises had the burn off already there
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited May 2015
    Options
    For individual exercise it's negligible. For a 30 minute bodyweight session you're looking at 200 cals or so.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

If you really think about it though, how would MFP be able to determine certain exercises? For instance, your wall push ups. You may get a great workout from those and we all had our beginnings so I'm not knocking them at all, but you most likely get a bigger burn from wall push ups than myself who can do 100 straight push ups. See what I'm sayin'?
  • carlylou999
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

If you really think about it though, how would MFP be able to determine certain exercises? For instance, your wall push ups. You may get a great workout from those and we all had our beginnings so I'm not knocking them at all, but you most likely get a bigger burn from wall push ups than myself who can do 100 straight push ups. See what I'm sayin'?

100!!! Ouch. I try to fit in as much as I can with work, mum stuff etc so its to add for speed for me. I do however think it's great having most of the info there. I used to do push ups but have a fidget shoulder so do the weaker wall ones
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor tells you how many calories you personally burn.

It kind of helps you really get to the heart of the matter :)

Sometimes we think we are working hard enough but the heart rate monitor will tell the truth
  • allison_moushey
    allison_moushey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a question but gleefully someone can just answer here instead of me making a new thread. I was just on a stationary bike for 30 minutes and did just under 7 miles. The bike said that I burned like 70 calories :( but when I try to enter it on here it says I burned like 200? What do I go by? I'm gonna look into a heart rate monitor but for now I'm not sure what to enter
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    @allison_moushey go with your heart :) and enter what the heart rate monitor said or for now you can enter the average 270/2=135 (both won't be very accurate), heart rate monitor will be most precise
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

100!!! Ouch. I try to fit in as much as I can with work, mum stuff etc so its to add for speed for me. I do however think it's great having most of the info there. I used to do push ups but have a fidget shoulder so do the weaker wall ones

You arent getting what hes trying to tell you.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

It kind of helps you really get to the heart of the matter :)

Sometimes we think we are working hard enough but the heart rate monitor will tell the truth
    HRMs are ok for steady state cardio and can be inaccurate and highly misleading for anything else.
  • allison_moushey
    allison_moushey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    tziol wrote: »
    @allison_moushey go with your heart :) and enter what the heart rate monitor said or for now you can enter the average 270/2=135 (both won't be very accurate), heart rate monitor will be most precise

I don't have a heart rate monitor.... yet! I definitely look into it thought to be a bit more accurate. Thank you! :)

• MeanderingMammal
    Options

For resistance training an HRM is worse than useless.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I was just on a stationary bike for 30 minutes and did just under 7 miles. The bike said that I burned like 70 calories :( but when I try to enter it on here it says I burned like 200? What do I go by?

There are a lot of variables, so it's difficult to tell, but for 30 minutes at a reasonably slow speed personally I'd go for about 100 cals.

Note that an HRM might help you, but a lot depends on what type of session you do. Some of my turbo trainer sessions are 40-50 minutes reasonably steady, so an HRM might give a reasonable approximation, some are high intensity sprint sessions and I wouldn't judge the HRM as a meaningful inficator in that case.