potassium

Options
jenniejoy07
jenniejoy07 Posts: 78 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
How do you fellow MFPers get your daily requirement of potassium. I don't like bananas so that's out, but I find it so hard to get the daily recommended amounts (3500mg). I eat lots of chicken and green veggies and still find I'm no where close!

Replies

• cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, that's one goal I can never hit!
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I too dislike bananas. Potatoes are a good source!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    "High potassium foods from natural food sources like beans, dark leafy greens, potatoes, squash, yogurt, fish, avocados, mushrooms, and bananas, are considered safe and healthy."

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php

P.S. Many database entries may be lacking data for potassium, or incorrect, so double check the entries you're using.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    google high potassium foods....

bananas are actually just an ok source...there are way better sources. Potatoes and V8 Juice are my favorites.

Also, keep in mind that potassium isn't required on food labels in the U.S...as that is where many entries from the database originate, many entries will be missing that information even if in fact those items have potassium. Your best bet with veggies and the like is to look for whatever it is you're looking for followed by USDA.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Oh! One of the reasons I joined up with MFP was to track my potassium, which in December, was way low.

Aside from banana: Kale and/or spinach (not the baby ones, the mature ones). Sweet potato/yams. Yogurt. An orange. In fact, toss an orange in with a kale and-other-greens salad, and you'll be happy with the potassium results, I think. Fortunately for me, ground coffee also has a decent punch of potassium.

These days, I find it very easy to meet my potassium number without half-trying.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    V8 Juice for sure. I buy the low sodium version. One glass usually gets me the rest of the way to my nutrients goal.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I dont get enough, I started getting muscle twitching sometimes after lifting. I just take a supplement now.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Orange juice.

Blackstrap molasses is apparently one of the best sources.
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You can't tell from MFP how much potassium you are getting because the data is entered by users from labels, which don't list potassium as a general rule. To track potassium accurately, you would basically have to create your own data base of every food you eat, using something like a USDA source for the potassium.

Cantaloupe is another excellent source of potassium. half of a 5" cantaloupe is over 800 mg.
  • ejbronte
    Options
    You can't tell from MFP how much potassium you are getting because the data is entered by users from labels, which don't list potassium as a general rule. To track potassium accurately, you would basically have to create your own data base of every food you eat, using something like a USDA source for the potassium.

Cantaloupe is another excellent source of potassium. half of a 5" cantaloupe is over 800 mg.

Yep, I noticed that, which was annoying. I end up doing some Google research (along with some requisite cursing) and choosing a "potassium supplement" from the MFP database in appropriate amounts per serving (which requires more cursing before I'm satisfied).

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Don't supplement potassium; it can be dangerous... Just eat a ton more veggies than you currently do. By doing so, you also bump up fiber, magnesium, and other typically lacking areas in the Western diet.

Kiwi and coconut water are also ridiculously high in potassium.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Just eat at least a cup or two of spinach/kale or other dark green leafy veggie at dinner every night in addition to your fruits and other veggies throughout the day and your potassium levels should be ok. Unless you are very diligent about getting your vitamin K in, you'll never be at 100%.

I like my spinach and I take a multivitamin. Be careful of taking Potassium supplements because too much can also be detrimental to you.
  • nickycat73
    nickycat73 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Don't supplement potassium; it can be dangerous... Just eat a ton more veggies than you currently do. By doing so, you also bump up fiber, magnesium, and other typically lacking areas in the Western diet.

Why is supplementing potassium dangerous?
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Just like sodium, potassium is another salt. The lack of potassium is bad (muscle cramping and such), but too much and there are adverse cardio effects. It is better to get the potassium in food sources because it is almost impossible to get "too much" potassium from our regular food.
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    nickycat73 wrote: »

It's just one of those things that you should really consult with your doctor before supplementing. It is not at all like supplementing Vitamin C or Protein. The heart relies on a certain relationship of sodium & potassium to function properly.

Additionally, it might not be worth it. The dosage is always quite low, which leads me to believe there must be some serious FDA restriction in effect for a cap on potassium supplementation. The high cost for a standalone supply of your typical 99 to 150 mg per tablet makes supplementation quite inconsequential considering the daily 3,500-3,800 mg recommendation from food. You've have to pop 10 or more tablets a day to get less than halfway, and at what risk to your heart?
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options

since you are a doctor i guess you know best however my doctor said it's perfectly fine. also it is not expensive at all, it's cheaper then many other vitamins like fish oil and multi-vitamins. I think the whole bottle was $7 for 300 pills and I only take one a day.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    paris458 wrote: »

since you are a doctor i guess you know best however my doctor said it's perfectly fine. also it is not expensive at all, it's cheaper then many other vitamins like fish oil and multi-vitamins. I think the whole bottle was $7 for 300 pills and I only take one a day.

i'm defintely not a doctor, but:

1) get a 2nd opinion. unless you have a specific health condition, daily potassium supplement should be unnecessary.

2) are you sure the potassium tablets you are taking are quality? much like "magnesium oxide" or "zinc citrate", it could be doing next to nothing, absorption-wise.

also, multivitamins contain between 0-99 mg potassium per full daily serving.
  • ejbronte
    Options
    nickycat73 wrote: »

It's just one of those things that you should really consult with your doctor before supplementing. It is not at all like supplementing Vitamin C or Protein. The heart relies on a certain relationship of sodium & potassium to function properly.

Additionally, it might not be worth it. The dosage is always quite low, which leads me to believe there must be some serious FDA restriction in effect for a cap on potassium supplementation. The high cost for a standalone supply of your typical 99 to 150 mg per tablet makes supplementation quite inconsequential considering the daily 3,500-3,800 mg recommendation from food. You've have to pop 10 or more tablets a day to get less than halfway, and at what risk to your heart?

Yes, I read this too: I just use the potassium listing in the MFP database to count up the potassium in the macro metrics. The only pills I pop are a multi-vitamin and Vitamin D-3, which I was also way low on in December.

• nickycat73
    nickycat73 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I was told potassium could help with bloating. I do take a multivitamin just added the potassium.
  • jenniejoy07
    jenniejoy07 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It not being listed in the nutrient listings could definitely be why I'm never close! I'll look more closely into this. Thanks guys!!