Help getting rid of water retention?

Options
I've consumed a lot of alcohol this weekend, and Monday and Tuesday went out for a meal (LOADS of sodium lol). Okay so the past few days I've been really bad, but today I went back on my diet as normal. I'm bloating so badly and retaining a lot of water and was wondering what are the best remedies for getting rid of bloat/water retention? Thanks :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Water, water and more water....
  • ermanilabiol
    ermanilabiol Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    First of all, drink a lot of water! U can add some lemon slices or apple cider vinegar..
  • Eninad
    Eninad Posts: 204 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Water retains because it is reacting with your Sodium. What you need to do is release the sodium (which requires Potassium) and replace the water.

Track your potassium intake, try to hit daily max, while tracking your sodium intake, try to get it as light as possible and drink drink drink fresh water.

People always forget that sodium and potassium are see-saw buddies chemically.

Foods high in potassium include: cantelope, coconut water, dates, bananas, chicken, lima beans.
  • baby_firefly_666
    baby_firefly_666 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Eninad wrote: »
    Water retains because it is reacting with your Sodium. What you need to do is release the sodium (which requires Potassium) and replace the water.

Track your potassium intake, try to hit daily max, while tracking your sodium intake, try to get it as light as possible and drink drink drink fresh water.

People always forget that sodium and potassium are see-saw buddies chemically.

Foods high in potassium include: cantelope, coconut water, dates, bananas, chicken, lima beans.

I live on bananas lately so that's a good thing. I've been chugging down water like there's no tomorrow.

I know it's not actual fat (phew!) or if it is it would be a tiny amount. I just want my bloat to leave before Saturday because I have a party to attend lol.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Sodium/Potassium balance occurs at the molecular level, but for immediate release just drink more water. A good indicator for a healthy person is "gin clear" urine.
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    What's the RDA for potassium?
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Actually several doctors have told me you want your pee to be pale yellow and not gin clear. I wasn't aware potassium helps, that's good to know.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Water, water and more water....

This
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,113 Member
    Options
    When I experience exercise-induced water retention, I drink water, of course, but sometimes I find a large cup of tea seems to get things moving.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    drink water, go sweat...rinse and repeat