ITFYM

Options
I'm new to this "flexible dieting" and finding that all my macros are met but with 500kcal left over of my daily limit! Can anyone advise me on meals so that I'm not in a calorie deficit...??

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    If you have met your macros, your calories should be what you expect. There may be an error in a logged food you're using....

I do IIFYM, and never look at the calories. I always just get my macros right instead
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this "flexible dieting" and finding that all my macros are met but with 500kcal left over of my daily limit! Can anyone advise me on meals so that I'm not in a calorie deficit...??

if you have met all of your macros and have calories left over then you have erroneous entries in your diary. Your macros are what make up your calories...rounding errors aside, if you hit your macros you hit your calories.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    all my macros are met but with 500kcal left over of my daily limit!

I'm confused by this.

If your macros are met you would be spot on with your calorie goal.
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Even if this is accurate and true OP, so what if you hit your macros with 500 cals left according MFP? It isn't like there is a 'max' on your macro's so just go eat more lel.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    There must be an error in one of your foods, or you are entering calories manually (wait . . . that would cause you to hit your calorie goal, but not your macro goal).

Each gram of fat has 9 calories. Each gram of carbs and protein has 4 calories. (Alcohol also has calories, although I don't drink, so I don't recall how many calories per gram.) Do the multiplication and addition, and you should be able to find where the error lies.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    It isn't like there is a 'max' on your macro's so just go eat more lel.

Please explain.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    There must be an error in one of your foods, or you are entering calories manually (wait . . . that would cause you to hit your calorie goal, but not your macro goal).

Each gram of fat has 9 calories. Each gram of carbs and protein has 4 calories. (Alcohol also has calories, although I don't drink, so I don't recall how many calories per gram.) Do the multiplication and addition, and you should be able to find where the error lies.

Protein=4
    Carbs=4
    Alcohol=7
    Fat=9
  • JakeBrownVB
    edited May 2015
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Please explain.

What needs explaining?

... snickers

• rainbowbow
    edited May 2015
    Options

Please explain.

What needs explaining?

The whole post makes no sense whatsoever.

...no snickers
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Please explain.

What needs explaining?

...no snickers

I read it to mean if you haven't hit your calorie target, keep eating because you don't have to stick set macros, they're just a baseline. (which is great if your entries are correct and you choose to eat more fat than normal and eat whatever til your calories are right)
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    DaveAkeman wrote: »

Protein=4
    Carbs=4
    Alcohol=7
    Fat=9

The issue is sometimes people log inaccurate data in to myfitnesspal. The macros and the calories don't add up.

myfitnesspal-nutrition-data-jpg.png

do the math, 222 calories. THis is a minor example, some data entries are way off, i have seen stuff for like 300 calories with 0 carbs 0 protein 0 fats.

no no.... i get that... but that would cause the opposite problem. I dont think it lets you add more macros than the calories are alotted. OP should be having the problem of "meeting her calorie goal but not her macros" if that were the case.
  • JakeBrownVB
    edited May 2015
    Options

Well it does but I will simplify it for you.

Basically the proteins, carbs and fats logged against foods in MFP can very easily be inaccurate ( :open_mouth: shocker!) and OP's situation is not impossible to be in. You can set a carb, fat and protein target and find due to inaccuracy's that you have hit all your macro targets and still have cals remaining.
    Hence the "so what if you hit your macros with 500 cals left according MFP?"

My statement proceeding said comment above of "It isn't like there is a 'max' on your macro's so just go eat more"... why would anyone refrain from hitting there calorie target simply because MFP is telling them they have hit there macros? Why would anyone feel they cant eat 100 more grams of fat, or 100 grams more of carbs, or 100 grams more of protein? It sounds like OP is concerned about exceeding her target macros and there is absolutely no reason to be. Exceeding your calorie target is the one to be worried about, not the macro target.

Kapeesh or no kapeesh?

• rainbowbow
    Options

Please explain.

What needs explaining?

...no snickers

I read it to mean if you haven't hit your calorie target, keep eating because you don't have to stick set macros, they're just a baseline. (which is great if your entries are correct and you choose to eat more fat than normal and eat whatever til your calories are right)

I guess. But it seems counterproductive to set a macro goal for total calories less than you desire. Shouldn't you set macros to your calorie goal?

Is she just saying "hit x for macros first" and then "eat whatever the eff you want"? Cause if so, what is even the point?
  • rainbowbow
    edited May 2015
    Options

Basically the proteins, carbs and fats logged against foods in MFP can very easily be inaccurate ( :open_mouth: shocker!) and OP's situation is not impossible to be in. You can set a carb, fat and protein target and find due to inaccuracy's that you have hit all your macro targets and still have cals remaining.
    Hence the "so what if you hit your macros with 500 cals left according MFP?"

My statement proceeding said comment above of "It isn't like there is a 'max' on your macro's so just go eat more"... why would anyone refrain from hitting there calorie target simply because MFP is telling them they have hit there macros?

No i understood that. It just seemed like you were advising her there isn't a "max" set on your macros. By setting a calorie goal she is inadvertently setting a "max" on her macros. This is where i was confused because it sounded contradictory.

Of course she should hit her calorie goal. She should cross reference her foods and the database to find the inaccuracies.

And as far as "OP's situation is not impossible to be in." I thought (for some reason) that MFP would atleast not let you put MORE macros than the food's total calories alot for. I know there is the option to put nothing, but i guess i just assumed they would have SOMETHING in place that wouldn't let you put more... guess not. Seems kind of ridiculous (quality control, amirite?) especially considering they are now charging for the "ability to track and set goals for macronutrients by gram". Laughable.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    ftludtu8weg9.png

yup you can input macros independently of calories and vice versa.

oh my order carbs/proteins/fats

jesus. christ. why.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    ftludtu8weg9.png

yup you can input macros independently of calories and vice versa.

oh my order carbs/proteins/fats

But your algebra has to work!!! (Otherwise, what you're inputting isn't accurate)
  • JakeBrownVB
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Personally I don't give much of a damn anymore, I rarely even look at my fats and carbs lol.

I log in
    Plonk my foods in
    Check how many cals I got left
    Either proceed to cheer or weep
    Check if I got dem protonz on deck
    Either proceed to cheer or weep again (nobody wants to have 300 cals left and 50g of protein still to hit, nom saiyain?)

Oh and sodium and sugar... not even once.

weeeee heeeeeeeeeeeee
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Personally I don't give much of a damn anymore, I rarely even look at my fats and carbs lol.

I log in
    Plonk my foods in
    Either proceed to cheer or weep again (nobody wants to have 300 cals left and 50g of protein still to hit, nom saiyain?)

weeeee heeeeeeeeeeeee

same. If i've hit my protein goal i hit carbs/fat with whatever i feel like that day that puts me around my calorie goal. Ice cream mode engaged.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I log in
    Plonk my foods in

weeeee heeeeeeeeeeeee

I'm pretty good on protein. I've been working on upping my fat intake lately. So I've been checking that out. It's been... new. Carbs? Who cares. If the protein and fat are near or over, the carbs will shake out just fine.