At what point do you buy new shoes?

Options
When are you supposed to trade in your old favorites for new work out shoes?

Replies

• Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    For me, it is all about the cushioning. Once that is wearing down and no longer comfy, off to the Nike outlet I go.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I wonder too but I think when the bottoms wore out and you start to get muscle aches.
  • california_haley
    california_haley Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    ive had the same two pairs (custom made) for the past like 9 years. theyve been threw sports, gym, and a million work outs. they arent falling apart and feel fine most of the time. but yesterday i went on a 10 mile walk and around mile 8 my feet stared hurting which has never happened in these shoes.
    i dont think its actually my shoes (even though they're really old) i think it was more the amount of walking i was doing.
    but is there a certain number of miles or a time limit to shoes that get a lot of wear? or is it personal preference
  • VyseN
    VyseN Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm a student, so I can't currently afford to buy new running shoes too often, but after x months of use I can feel my ankles start to protest after a while when I'm on runs, and that's when I retire them as running shoes and demote them to Lawn Mower-footwear and ask for an early birthday gift from grandparents or my mom.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Every three months.
  • FitStrongHealthy
    FitStrongHealthy Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My workout shoes (I run and lift in Vibrams) can last me from six months to a year. I usually go by how my feet feel during and after my workouts. I know when it's time to change them because during my runs my shins and ankles will start to hurt and it will continue afterwards cutting my run shot. That's when I start looking for a new pair and then my running shoes will become my lifting shoes until they fall apart.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Running shoes is every 500 miles I have read
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Running shoes are 300-500 typically.
    Most are on the lower end in my experience
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I don't know if that makes me happy or sad that I'll need a new pair soon then if it's closer to 300...
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

I don't know if that makes me happy or sad that I'll need a new pair soon then if it's closer to 300...
    It totally depends on your shoes, some brands last longer than others. If you aren't getting achey or anything, I wouldn't jump out and buy then right this second.

But I'd buy them soon and start rotating between the two pairs - shorter runs in the new shoes, longer in the older ones. Just til you're sure they're still the right shoe for you
  • TavistockToad
    Options

It totally depends on your shoes, some brands last longer than others. If you aren't getting achey or anything, I wouldn't jump out and buy then right this second.

But I'd buy them soon and start rotating between the two pairs - shorter runs in the new shoes, longer in the older ones. Just til you're sure they're still the right shoe for you

I've got about 200 miles on mind so far so I've got a while yet - I only run about 16 miles per week. Will keep it in mind though in case I start to get any aches or pains.
  • franola12
    franola12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I mix up my running shoes so I don't wear out one more than the other, but yes people are right on here 300-500 and you need a new pair.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It should be 300-500 miles on a pair of running shoes. I can tell when I need a new pair when my right knee starts to bother me a little after runs. I'm currently on pair #5 since April 2011. My Garmin Connect app is tracking the mileage on my newest pair of shoes. I'll let you know how far they make it before being retired. :wink:
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    To actually answer the OPs question lol

It depends what the shoes are for.

My running shoes are about 350miles and then they get turned into walking/bumming around shoes.
    The shoes I lift in, I bought in 2004 and there are a bazillion holes in them. (Chuck taylors)

It depends on the activity honestly.
    Don't wear your running shoes for lifting.
  • california_haley
    california_haley Posts: 220 Member
    Options

My running shoes are about 350miles and then they get turned into walking/bumming around shoes.
    The shoes I lift in, I bought in 2004 and there are a bazillion holes in them. (Chuck taylors)

Lol thanks.
    Since I don't actually RUN I just lift and walk/hike I think mine are fine maybe not just for 10+ miles.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    depends on the shoes and what you're using them for. My lifting shoes will likely last me the better part of a decade...same with my cycling shoes. I will likely replace these items because I want to rather than actually wearing them out.

My running shoes tend to last about 300 miles (mileage will vary with shoe)...when they start to wear out, you will start getting shin splints and the like.

I just bought a pair of light day hikers for walking and hiking in...so we'll see. They're Keen though so I have pretty high expectations.

My flip-flops last me a season and my dress shoes usually last me about a year.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Lol thanks.
    Since I don't actually RUN I just lift and walk/hike I think mine are fine maybe not just for 10+ miles.

I had actually meant to mention the non-running portion but work interfered. :grimace:

For lifting, walking and hiking I'd just go with the "feels good" and structural integrity tests. If they're in one piece and your feet feel good when you're done, then keep them. If you can see toes peeping out or your feet are sore, it may be time for a new pair.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I just threw out a pair of hiking boots that was 25 years old. In my heavy running days, I would rotate 2 pair and replace every 6 mos. so, somewhere in between those two.

My wife keeps hers until she wants something different or when two weeks has passed, whichever comes first.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options

That's my experience too but certainly it's shoe, and runner, dependent. I have run in some I want to retire at 500km (300 miles) and others that go a good deal further. I never use my running shoes for anything but running.

I've become a believer in alternating two pairs of shoes. An extra day before they are used again seems to help the cushion bounce back some. That may be illusory or it may be real, but since I run all winter outdoors it's nice to be able to alternate shoes day to day and always have one pair of dry runners ready to go.