Polar vs. Fitbit Charge HR

Options
im in need of a new HRM. I've used Polar FT7 for quite some time but now the battery's dead. Now I'm seeing Fitbits everywhere and just seen a commercial for Fitbit Charge HR. Not sure which to get now! What do you all use?

Replies

• glowingyogi
    glowingyogi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a Fitbit charge a couple of days ago. So far I really like it, except it feels pretty big on my wrist- especially with long sleeve work shirts. I also cannot sleep with it on, so the sleep tracking is off the table. Integration is good with MFP.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit Charge HR—it's also a heart rate monitor. They make several other models, too.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • Cronniss
    Cronniss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It comes down to what you need in a fitness tracker & an HRM. Because of my particular needs I'm going with the Polar A300.

You can purchase just the watch or with an HRM strap. You can use it without the HRM strap, but it works better with it. (I'll be getting it with the HRM. It comes with the Polar H7.)

Here is an Amazon link for it as well.

If you are undecided as to which to purchase, DCRainmaker has a nice compare feature on his reviews website. Here is the link to his Fitbit Charge (HR) review. At the bottom of it will be a link to go to the comparison page. (You can only compare the trackers he has reviewed. So if he hasn't reviewed a tracker you want to compare it won't be listed.)
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for accuracy, Polar with a chest strap is the way to go. I've got an A300 and love it. FitBit is good for letting you know how much you're moving, getting you motivated to get up, and doing challenges. Though, the A300 also tracks sleep patterns, mobility, and gives feedback on your movement. I like polar because I'm a numbers person, and I find their products to be pretty accurate, but what's best largely depends on what you're looking for.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for accuracy, Polar with a chest strap is the way to go. I've got an A300 and love it. FitBit is good for letting you know how much you're moving, getting you motivated to get up, and doing challenges. Though, the A300 also tracks sleep patterns, mobility, and gives feedback on your movement. I like polar because I'm a numbers person, and I find their products to be pretty accurate, but what's best largely depends on what you're looking for.

^^ This. They havent figured out how to make wrist HRMs accurate yet. The chest ones are though. I have both and dont find the Fitbit Charge HR accurate as a HRM white my Polar chest strap one is accurate.
  • handyandy9x
    handyandy9x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have a Charge HR and did a direct comparison against my FT4 HRM with a strap and it was practically the same all the way up to 170 bpm... which I know is pretty unusual as they are not supposed to go that far.
  • RedRockChic
    RedRockChic Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love my HR. I use it to monitor sleep, activity and HR. The only thing I don't like about it is that I have to check my phone or computer to see what the battery level is. I wish I didn't have to charge it every 5 days, but I use my Flex for when I am charging it.

A lot of people are commenting on the "accuracy" of the wrist monitored HR. It doesn't need to be an exact science, but that is a thing to fuss over, so people do.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    A lot of people are commenting on the "accuracy" of the wrist monitored HR. It doesn't need to be an exact science, but that is a thing to fuss over, so people do.

I lost the weight & maintained for more than eight months with a Fitbit Flex—which doesn't even have a heart rate monitor. That's all the accuracy I need.

I upgraded to the Charge HR because it has a secure buckle, like a watch. The only way to judge the accuracy is to trust your device for several weeks, reevaluate your progress, and adjust accordingly.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I use the polar V800, I know its more on the high end, but I was going the get a M400, but found it for a few more dollars at the time. one of the things that made me stay away from the charge was it isn't waterproof. Also gymlink was important too, I do a lot of cardio, and it's nice to not have to hold the handles on the equipment for it to adjust the levels by your heart rate.
  • thatzumbachick
    thatzumbachick Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! You guys have given me some really substantial opinions on this! I really appreciate it!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    A few reviews not from the "I have a (insert device here) and love it" crowd.

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-accurate-are-wristband-heart-rate-monitors/
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/02/fitbit-charge-review.html
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/09/activity-tracker-review.html

Accuracy matters if you're tracking heart rate over time. Would you accept +/- 15% every time you step on the scale during your weight loss journey?
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I love my HR. I use it to monitor sleep, activity and HR. The only thing I don't like about it is that I have to check my phone or computer to see what the battery level is. I wish I didn't have to charge it every 5 days, but I use my Flex for when I am charging it.

Well if you seek accuracy a chest strap hrm is best. Theres polar loop that pairs with hrm or vivofit , vivofit 2, vivofitsmart that pair with their brand of hrm chest strap.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    If you use a smartphone there's the Polar H7. I use this and the droid app and it works great. The Polar website is a treasure trove for data mining and it's nice to see your cardio improvements over time.

I use the Fitbit Flex for daily activity and track my cardio using the H7. It shouldn't, but the two devices don't like to run together and I always lose connection with the Polar, so take off the Flex when running.
  • jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar M400 with the heart rate strap and its amazing!! Definitely invest in Polar for accuracy.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    im in need of a new HRM. I've used Polar FT7 for quite some time but now the battery's dead. Now I'm seeing Fitbits everywhere and just seen a commercial for Fitbit Charge HR. Not sure which to get now! What do you all use?
    you can change batteries in the FT7. once they are dead doesnt mean its done for.but if you want something else then go for it.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Why aren't you just replacing the battery? It's like 7$.

http://www.polar.com/us-en/products/accessories/battery_set_for_FT7_and_FT4

If you aren't unhappy with it, i'd just do that. :)
  • kyunda
    kyunda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I started with the polar ft4 and loved it. A couple of weeks ago I ordered the plum Fitbit charge but returned it because it only lets you log a run,walk or hike. Who only does that?! I lift weight too. I really like having a chest hrm so I got the polar m400. It's only been a couple of days but I like it. It has the benefit of a fitness tracker and a hrm.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    kyunda wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago I ordered the plum Fitbit charge but returned it because it only lets you log a run,walk or hike.

Not true. I have a Fitbit Charge HR, and I've logged Pilates, rebounding, spinning, yoga, and Zumba:
    https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-do-I-log-or-record-an-activity/
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I wish I didn't have to charge it every 5 days, but I use my Flex for when I am charging it.

I plug mine in when I take it off for a shower. That's been plenty to keep it from ever dying.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I find the Polar 7 to be more accurate than fitbit. I order batteries from amazon.