Tracy Anderson Method

Options

Replies

• Denziee
    Denziee Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    how does anyone log her mat dvd on MFP??
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    I used a heart rate moniter to log it, I just created it as a new cardio exercise. If I remember correctly I think it burned 430ish calories for me after the entire workout:)
  • HeidiYogi
    HeidiYogi Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to get my heart rate monitor so I know exactly how much I'm burning! I also pulled out my old "dance pants" (they are these long-ish shorts made out of plastic material) and they turn up the heat and make me sweat more which rocks!!! :)

Completed day 3 of level 2 this morning of Hipcentric and am down a total of 12 pounds so far!!!
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Graeme Thomas is a Canadian health and fitness expert whom I respect a lot. Please check out what he has to say about Tracy Anderson in this article:

http://graemethomasonline.com/skinny-fat-not-just-hollywoods-problem/

Apparently, he doesn't think too highly of her. I wouldn't drop 10 bucks on any of her videos, much less 100.
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    I think the main problem that a lot of people have with her method is her "diet plan"....which is hardly a diet that anyone can sustain! I agree that if people follow her diet for a long time, then yes, they will end up skinny fat and losing a lot of muscle and probably like Gwenyth with ostepenia....good lord, and if they are working out for two hours a day, then yes, that is a little excessive:)

As far as just doing her workouts....I hardly think that anyone will end up with no muscle tone aka skinny fat. Yes, its not a huge amount of muscle as say someone who is lifting heavier weights, but I don't think that that is the look that people who are doing her method are after. They want the type of body she claims to make....a dancers body. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a body like Jackie Warner or woman's fitness competitors, but everyone has their own goal of how they want their body to look.

I honestly was a huge skeptic before doing the program, previously having done p90x and lifting heavy weights and not liking how big my arms and stomach got (and yes, it was definitely muscle underneath the fat, maybe I would have liked how it looked more if my body fat % wasn't so high). But since doing her method my body fat went from 23% down to 19%, and people have actually noticed that my arms look great and for the first time ever, I have abs!

and for other trainers getting upset about her "no more than 3 pound rule".....her arm workouts yield fabulous results and are WAY HARDER than people would think just be hearing her stupid 3 pound rule!

....lol guess my little rant is over......didn't mean to offend or argue the other link (because Graeme Thomas definitely has great points) but my I just got in an argument with my friend (who is very unhappy with her weight, having close to 100 pounds to lose), first telling me how great my stomach looked, then proceeding to tell me that Tracy Anderson has no idea what she is talking about........

ok now my rant is over:)
  • muur
    muur Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I started doing the tracy anderson mat workout about 3 weeks ago, but only every other day for 3 days a week and running (get running app) on the alternative days. I've always thought I had pretty strong legs, playing basketball and netball all my life but for some reason the first 20 or so minutes of the workout absolutely killed me. It is pretty repetitive and its annoying that she doesn't give too many cues as to when she's changing positions etc so you cant really get into it and do your own thing, but I have to say it does work in terms of really toning, my problem areas are my tummy and waist. I do love what its done but it sure is boring as hell so i'd say break it up with someone else. Oh and I didn't follow her 'diet' plan.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I think the main problem that a lot of people have with her method is her "diet plan"....which is hardly a diet that anyone can sustain! I agree that if people follow her diet for a long time, then yes, they will end up skinny fat and losing a lot of muscle and probably like Gwenyth with ostepenia....good lord, and if they are working out for two hours a day, then yes, that is a little excessive:)

As far as just doing her workouts....I hardly think that anyone will end up with no muscle tone aka skinny fat. Yes, its not a huge amount of muscle as say someone who is lifting heavier weights, but I don't think that that is the look that people who are doing her method are after. They want the type of body she claims to make....a dancers body. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a body like Jackie Warner or woman's fitness competitors, but everyone has their own goal of how they want their body to look.

I honestly was a huge skeptic before doing the program, previously having done p90x and lifting heavy weights and not liking how big my arms and stomach got (and yes, it was definitely muscle underneath the fat, maybe I would have liked how it looked more if my body fat % wasn't so high). But since doing her method my body fat went from 23% down to 19%, and people have actually noticed that my arms look great and for the first time ever, I have abs!

and for other trainers getting upset about her "no more than 3 pound rule".....her arm workouts yield fabulous results and are WAY HARDER than people would think just be hearing her stupid 3 pound rule!

....lol guess my little rant is over......didn't mean to offend or argue the other link (because Graeme Thomas definitely has great points) but my I just got in an argument with my friend (who is very unhappy with her weight, having close to 100 pounds to lose), first telling me how great my stomach looked, then proceeding to tell me that Tracy Anderson has no idea what she is talking about........

ok now my rant is over:)

Hey - no worries! If her routine works for you, then more the better. I just get concerned when people blindly follow some "celebrity" diet or fitness plan without really checking it out first. To each his own! Best of luck to you! :smile:
  • LauriinSB
    LauriinSB Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the hipcentric video only, not the dance cardio (I do other cardio). I don't know what to put for calorie burn. Anybody have any ideas?
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Tracy isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I like what I have seen so far. I have done the Mat Method workout and the Post-pregnancy workout (even though I've never had a baby) and I like both of them. I doubt that the workout plan caused Gwyneth Paltrow's Osteopenia. The diet may have if she sustained it over a long term. Doesn't anyone but me remember when all the workout gurus were saying light weights many reps? She's certainly not the first person to suggest this.She wants you to be able to lift more than 3 pounds in your everyday life for crying out loud, but not to "weight lift" more than 3 pounds.

She may be full of hooey, but every review I have read about her workouts by women who have actually done them is positive. Sure she gives lousy to zero cues and you have to watch her to see what to do, BUT she doesn't tell corny jokes that get so old after the first week. I like her "less talk more work" ethic. I also like her attention to other muscles. I mean, if you do some workouts you'll think the only arm muscles are triceps and biceps. Apparently there are others! Although, to be frank, Tracy doesn't actually name the other muscles other than to call them "accessory muscles".

I have watched P90X infomercials for years and thought that's what I wanted. I bought Supreme 90Day and I like the workout, but I find that I don't want to look like the women in the videos. I want to be fit, but not cut like that. I'm thinking Tracy Anderson may be the way to get there.
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    I'm doing the hipcentric video only, not the dance cardio (I do other cardio). I don't know what to put for calorie burn. Anybody have any ideas?
    I wear my HRM when I do the omni video (not the cardio), Im on day 54 and it seems that they all pretty much burn between 180-200 calories per half hour unless I am REALLY pushing it. I created a new exercise for her workouts, but I think logging it under general aerobics would be pretty close (when I tried it, it equaled 182 in half an hour:)
  • HeidiYogi
    HeidiYogi Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM when I do the omni video (not the cardio), Im on day 54 and it seems that they all pretty much burn between 180-200 calories per half hour unless I am REALLY pushing it. I created a new exercise for her workouts, but I think logging it under general aerobics would be pretty close (when I tried it, it equaled 182 in half an hour:)

Yes - I think this is very accurate, cupcakecarnivore! I am also doing Hipcentric and am on level 3 right now - my HRM has been reading pretty steady at having burned about 204-220 calories for the 1/2 hour mat workout - I'm 5'7" and currently weigh 159 lbs.

BTW - LOVED your earlier post too (rant) - it stated everything that I want to say about this.......if you are smart you can do her plan in a healthy way and I LOVE her workouts - I'm a former dancer and miss my body so much but just cannot do 8 hours of ballet a week anymore (sometimes more with other styles, etc....) no wonder I was SO lean/thin - well, and I was also in my 20's, LOL!!! :) Anyhow, just hate hearing all of negativity against TA - her program has been great for me - different strokes for different folks! :)

Have a great day,
    -Heidi.
  • xxwednesdayxx
    Options
    so how many calories does the Tracy Anderson method burn. its the mat workout im doing not the cardio. i'm confused by all the different answers on here. haha :) xx
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I have seen Tracy's infomercial on TV. I don't know if I will try her workouts. Maybe if I find it at a garage sale or thrift store. I don't believe in diets and yes, 700 calories a day is too low.

I want to speak on using 3lb weights. A lot of people think that 3lb weights are too low, but in reality it's not. In a lot of workouts, instructors will recommend 3 to 5 pound weights. Trust me a 3lb weight can make you feel the burn and see results. A lot of workouts are for sculpting and not building. A lot of sculpting workouts are a mixture of cardio/sculpting. I can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't want to be holding two 20 pound weights, while doing cardio uppercuts.

I'm doing a Tae Bo 30 Day program that I have created and I am using some of Billy Blank's cardio/sculpting workouts. The women in the workouts are using 3lb weights and they are feeling the burn, as well as I'm feeling the burn. It depends on what kind of sculpting or even building workout you are doing as to what weights you need.

A dancer doesn't get their body by lifting heavy weights. They tend to use their own body to get lean. A person doesn't have to use weights to get a lean muscular body. Your body is your best weapon.
  • kpxfiles
    kpxfiles Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would love to see your results. I got her video from a friend. I don't follow it exactly, but I agree with her method. I did her arm exercises without weights and it makes my arm sore. The diet plan she suggest is not realistic for me, so I just stick with my own plan. I learn her moves and combine them into my own moves with my own music. It really does work. I lost several inches from my waist and stomach.
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Anyone doing this a. With other workouts? Wen do I go from level 1 to 2 to 3?
  • apatheticLog
    apatheticLog Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    oh man these workouts are the hardest. maybe its cause im 60lbs overweight! definitely something i want to be serious about at some point in my life, but i think i need to lose some weight first to really get serious about these now. i remember after the 1st time i did the dvd, i was so sore..out of breath and wanting to die. definitely works you to your core...but you have to be somewhat advanced i think.
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My theory is that she can do all of those leg lifts because her legs weigh less than half of mine. But whatever. It's better than couch surfing I guess. So...does anyone know how often or what the order you should do these workouts should be?
  • anglesio
    Options
    Hi there, just got the mat workout a few weeks ago. Im 47 yrs old and have done sports all my life but my body was just slumping into that mid age look, where everything was going southbound despite swimming yoga and bodypump.was resigned to the fact that i was exercising to slowdon the aging process rather than reverse it. my first session of the mat I thought this is crap, no instruction on form, dull, not enough weight bearing..so i put it aside for a week or two. figured i should give it a few more tries since id paid for it. so i did it 2 more days in a row and BINGO! my husband did a double take and just couldnt belive my abs, ths was more than enough to motivate me to continue. i do the dvd 3/' tmes a week since 3 weeks and cannot belive how well this works.my body is back in shape like it was 10 yrs ago. ive no idea what her diet is and simply cant be bothered with that. have discovered ayurveda a couple of months ago and that food style suits me very well. So in resume evry time i do this workout i think this cannot possibly be working..and then i try on my jeans...having said that you really need to have good understanding of exercise fom perhaps a bit of basic dance and yoga otherwise it is impossible to understand the moves.:happy:
  • jwwfit
    jwwfit Posts: 2
    Options
    I have seen Tracy's infomercial on TV. I don't know if I will try her workouts. Maybe if I find it at a garage sale or thrift store. I don't believe in diets and yes, 700 calories a day is too low.

Hey there, I was also worried when i read all the posts about the low calorie diet. The good thing is, she doesn't expect you to only eat that little amount. I did a little research on her website and found that those foods are what you should only eat that week. But if you need more food, you can have more portions of those foods on the list for that week.

I've had to double up on some portions and I'm still seeing great results.If you didn't double up, I would fail at this program altogether.

If you have a Bed Bath & Beyond, you can buy it for 20% off with a coupon there.
  • texgirl
    texgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Transform 1

I did a count on the mat portion with the legs. Its a forty county for each. I am atleast twice tracys age so the first time I did it I could hardly walk the second day. So I watched and counted. I cut it to 20 and do both legs. By the time she gets to the next leg I am done. The cardio I try next, my legs feel like lead so I am not jumping around so much. I am on the 1st week and hope to be able to keep up by the 3rd week. I have been jogging and walking since feb, 2013 (I had 6 month break due to medical reasons).
    So I wasnt to badly out of shape, but wow her workout Kicks your Bum. If anyone My age has done 90 days of this I hope to hear about your results. ?