Is anyone else growing a garden?

Options

Replies

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I'm in Colorado thus I have an herb garden...
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have two tomato plants... one isn't looking very healthy. Black thumb...
  • veganminecraft
    veganminecraft Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    not particularly but at risk of my family tearing up my deceased father's shrubs and trees i decided to start going out to take care of them. Ive found it to be great exercise too and a good way to get vitamin d. We have blackberries and rasbperries. As well as a pear tree and grape vines. It has been two years since anyone has tended to it and there are so many dead canes and branches that I'm still pulling out.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    We live in BC so not too hot yet. But we have growing:

Blueberries (on the bushes but not ripe yet)
    Strawberries
    Rhubarb
    Peach tree
    few raspberries
    Tomatoes
    Cucumber
    Zucchini
    Different types of thyme, parsley, sage, basil (just transplanted), chives, oregano, mints....probably more herbs.
    Swiss chard.
    From seed: spinach, lettuces (a big mix), magentaspreen, amaranth, sorrel , other mixed greens, carrots, onion (for green onion), peas, radish, kale.
    Potatoes in a big potato bin made from pallets.
    Not nearly enough room to plant what I would want to.
    Flowers: calendula, nasturtium, zinnia, cosmos.

Starting tonight/tomorrow: Green beans (pole)

Would like to still plant: rosemary, more thyme and curly parsley, hot peppers to make my own sweet chili sauce, pac choi/bok choy, dill, lavender,

Never having in any garden of mine: cilantro
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I don't have any yard space, but I am growing blueberries and strawberries in containers on my balcony. I've harvested several big bowls of blueberries so far, and currently waiting on my first, sad, strawberry.
  • betancourtky
    betancourtky Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Just planted my first garden last week, we have mixed lettuce, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, pepper, thyme, rosemary, basil, mint, chamomile, oregano, parsley, strawberries and a pear tree. Hoping for a prosperous harvest, since we usually spend so much at the farmers market throughout the year.
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    We live in BC so not too hot yet. But we have growing:

Blueberries (on the bushes but not ripe yet)
    Strawberries
    Rhubarb
    Peach tree
    few raspberries
    Tomatoes
    Cucumber
    Zucchini
    Different types of thyme, parsley, sage, basil (just transplanted), chives, oregano, mints....probably more herbs.
    Swiss chard.
    From seed: spinach, lettuces (a big mix), magentaspreen, amaranth, sorrel , other mixed greens, carrots, onion (for green onion), peas, radish, kale.
    Potatoes in a big potato bin made from pallets.
    Not nearly enough room to plant what I would want to.
    Flowers: calendula, nasturtium, zinnia, cosmos.

Starting tonight/tomorrow: Green beans (pole)

Would like to still plant: rosemary, more thyme and curly parsley, hot peppers to make my own sweet chili sauce, pac choi/bok choy, dill, lavender,

Never having in any garden of mine: cilantro

I'm in BC too- interior. Im jealous of your garden- sounds fabulous! Curious why no cilantro? Too hard to grow?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    This winter (in Southern Australia) I've planted:

spinach
    pak choi
    carrots

And the parsley from summer is still doing well.

I want to dig up part of the lawn and make a bigger veggie garden.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I planted a small garden with tomato, and variety of squashes, not much of a farmer. I joined a CSA for the bulk of my summer veggies
  • wissabear
    wissabear Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes and herbs. Tomatoes are just starting to get ripe.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I ate my first garden strawberry last night! There were two, but the squirrels got to one of them first :( I'm also growing several lettuces, spinach and arugula, peppers and tomatoes, celery, beans and peas, cucumbers and various herbs (off the top of my head: anise, dill, cilantro, mint and orange thyme?)
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    So far i've only harvested from the herbs: basil, rosemary, spearmint and parsley.
    On the way:
    four types of tomatoes, two starting to flower
    yellow and habanero peppers
    cucumbers
    kale
    spinach
    Tonight I'm picking up lavender for the patio planter, and might buy a Brussels sprout plant to fill the hole created when one of the dogs nabbed two of the kale babies...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to remember what all we have planted for later harvest.

corn (have a garden just for corn now)
    beans (bush and pole)
    squash - zucchini, straightneck (yellow), spaghetti, butternut
    pumpkin - cooking and large for decoration
    watermelon
    beets
    garlic
    peppers - 2 mild, 6 (I think) hot varieties
    tomatoes (grape, 2 types of slicer, roma, yellow)
    cantelope
    cucumber

We will be planting parsnips, carrots, brussel sprouts and more sugar snap peas in late summer and replanting radishes, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower in fall

We also have pecan, walnut, hickory nut, apple plum, pear and cherry trees, as well as filbert (hazelnut), raspberry, blueberry, blackberry and gooseberry bushes scattered about our property.
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yes, just a small one. Tomatoes, peppers, herbs. Also have fruit trees, orange, grapefruit, lemon, olives, and pomegranate
  • jsbodnaryk
    jsbodnaryk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just planted my garden last weekend. Up until a week before we were having hard frosts (below -2) almost every night. It will be a while before I am actually able to harvest anything! My seedlings aren't up yet, but the plants that I started in my greenhouse are doing well. I live on a farm, and have a very large garden, so I grow probably 75% of the produce we eat. I freeze and can a lot so that we have plenty of veggies to last us the winter. We're out of pretty much everything now, so I've had to buy all our produce for the past few weeks. I can't wait until my garden starts producing again!

I have corn, spinach, peas, green and yellow beans, three types of lettuce (which I replant periodically), green and yellow zucchini, spaghetti squash, three types of carrots, beets, onions, garlic, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, three types of cucumbers, many types of tomatoes, a few hills of potatoes for my husband, and some dry beans. I started a couple of watermelons and planted them as well, but chances are slim that I'll actually get an edible watermelon. Even with the shortest season watermelons I can find I've never had any luck. They are usually about the size of a baseball by October, and then end up frozen, despite my best efforts to protect them. I'm also experimenting with a little patch of quinoa, I'm not sure if we have a long enough season for it here, but we'll see. And I also have a little orchard, with apples, crabapples, sour cherries, raspberries and strawberries. I'm hoping also to plant some blueberries, and maybe some cold hardy pears and sweet cherries. Saskatoon berries grow wild all over in the treed areas of our farm. I plant my herbs in my wildflower garden, right now I have dill, thyme, lavender, chamomile, basil, chives and rosemary.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I'm growing a bush.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    I'm growing a bush.

Giggle.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Tomatoes, onions, peppers, jalapenos, cucumbers, basil and cilantro.
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Veggie and herb garden. Have dill, basil, parsley, tarragon, cilantro. Peppers are growing.. gardening is very therapeutic! :)
  • amphilion
    amphilion Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    We have a balcony garden, we have fresh herbs (two types of parsly, dill, basil, rosemary) Three types of tomatoes, earth cherries, cucumber!