NROL vs STRONGLIFTS 5x5

Options
Ok I just finished round 1 of NROL for women. I am toying with switching to Stronglifts 5x5. For those of you who know both programs, what do you see as pros and cons of each in comparison to one another? I don't mind NROL, just want to do what is most efficient and effective. Just a little background: I have been working out faithfully for 3 1/2 years, have done kettlebells, kickboxing, and just started yoga once per week recently. My goals include being able to do chin-ups/pull-ups (never been able to do one in my entire life unassisted), getting a nice round strong booty, and just being overall strong and toned yet still feminine. I don't have time for attitude and put downs, just want honest candid respectful opinions. Thanks all!

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I liked Stage 1 of NROLFW but looking ahead, it got too complicated for my liking.
    I was already making substitutions in stage 1 since my gym didn't have everything available. Plus I was criss crossing the gym a lot. Drove me nuts.

I switched gyms and programs to SL.
    I enjoyed the simplicity of it.
    I currently follow ICF 5x5 which is a bastardized version of SL with iso work, which I enjoy more.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    NROLFW got too complicated for my tastes (finished stage 1 and 2) so I switched to strong lifts, which I loved except for rows. I then switched to Starting Strength since it has cleans instead of rows and am now perfectly happy.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    NROLFW got too complicated for my tastes (finished stage 1 and 2) so I switched to strong lifts, which I loved except for rows. I then switched to Starting Strength since it has cleans instead of rows and am now perfectly happy.

Really?!? I may switch from SL 5X5, too!
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options

Really?!? I may switch from SL 5X5, too!

That's the main reason I chose SS over SL...cause rows are boring and I hated them. Cleans are awesome.

I read NROL and the program seems needlessly complicated. I never tried it, but I liked the simplicity of SS/SL and continually adding weight to the bar got me motivated to get into the gym and break PR's.

Overall I guess NROL is better if you want variety though. They're all great programs and its just a matter of which one you like enough to stick with.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I started with SL in part because it was simpler (I also didn't have NROLFW book at that time) and it had less things I had no idea how to do. I hadn't lifted in years, so it was a good starting point for me and I enjoyed the progression. I have been doing NROLFW after getting comfortable with lifting and in order to get out of my comfort zone a bit more. I like some of the lifts that I never would have thought about if I hadn't given it a try but a few I definitely won't be sad about not seeing again. I'm at the end of stage 4 and it doest jump around a bit though a few of the stages are the same as each other, just different rep ranges. But I do feel like I'm wandering around the gym for equipment some of the time. Then again, I also don't follow the program exact. I quit doing some of the stuff (crunches on the swiss ball for example) and I often do a few other lifts as well cause I wasn't going to go months without flat bench barbell bench press.

I'm planning after stage 7 (skipping stage 6) to go to something more like SL but with accessories. I haven't decided if I'll give ICF a try or something else but I'm sure I'll find something.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I completed the entire NROLFW program but I wasn't thrilled with all of the accessory work. After looking for something a bit more "basic" I ended up with SL and I really enjoy it. I like the big basic lifts, and I like the app they have for my phone to track workouts, weights, reps, history, etc. I don't mind the rows, but I'm curious about cleans - the few times I've tried them, they seem to really be a weakness for me. I may try SS just to check it out...
  • SquatNSparkle
    SquatNSparkle Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    This is all great info ladies! Thank you so much! I need to take two weeks off starting Monday for some medical work (ugh) so I will do some research on SL and SS. What is ICF 5X5?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I read through both. I would not be interested in actually doing NROL. Especially in a deficit. Too much farting around-jack knifing on exercise balls and crap. No time for that. I would chose 5x5. Though if you're in maintenance or surplus, maybe ICF which someone mentioned-just because I believe it has added assistance/hypertrophy work.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ICF 5x5 is Ice Cream Fitness 5x5. A lot more accessory work. I passed on it because it uses cable lifts and I'm limited to what I can do with the power rack in my garage. A good program if you have access to cables, though.