First day fail - second day dreads

Options
my first day yesterday and I ate well over my 1200 calories ! About 2010 calories were consumed which shocked me as I felt like I ate very little.. Turns out the healthy nutty 9 bars I like instead of chocolate are too high in calories for snacking at 245..
After realising what an epic fail I was having and knowing I couldn't skip dinner I just continued to eat to the best I could ! Feeling rather miserable at my attempt I didn't bother to work out which just made it all the more a fail..
It's now morning and I'm starving hungry!!
Here's to a better day 2!!

Any advice would be great, feel free to add me as a friend also

Replies

• abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the normal learning-curve when you start logging cals. At first you are chocked to see how high certain foods are in energy. Then you spend a while seeking out foods that are tasty and filling for the cals. After a while you realize that your allowance will increase when you excercise. there you have your recipe... good luck. ;-)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Keep logging and keep working out what choices you need to make to comfortably achieve your defecit
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Yep, that sounds normal to me too. When we start out I think we are all surprised by just how many calories are in the foods the thought were 'good'. You quickly learn which foods are worth the calories and which aren't. For example I have switched to almond milk because it's much lower in calories and if I save calories there I can save them for an I've cream bar in the evening!

The other point worth mentioning is that it's wise to not set your goals too high to start with. At 1200 calories a day you are going to have to be quite restrictive. You may find that if you set your goal to 1 instead of 2 lbs a week you will be allowed a more achievable calorie goal. It may take longer to reach your ideal weight but it may just be in incentive you need to do some exercise to burn some calories and keep yourself within your daily allowance.
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Lol I had a mate who couldn't figure out why he wasn't losing weight for 2 months. Then one day I saw him eating this HUGE plate of rice and chicken and I was like "dude, how are you fitting that in your macros".

And he replied by saying this massive heaped plate of rice was only 350 cals.

Found out the plonker was calculating dry weight and cooked weight wrong and was eating like 1050 calories of rice! :joy:
  • Bel_Esprit
    Bel_Esprit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies! I definitely will be stopping the 9 bars and finding something a lot lower in calories to snack on. I'm a really hungry person so finding low calorie food that will fill me up is essential, I'm hungry every 2-3 hours which I'm told is a good thing so I guess I just have to make sure I eat the right things.
    I made my goal 1200 as I need to get the weight off before an event. Plus I tend to work better under pressure the more time I have the longer I'll take to do something.
    Going to up my gym and fitness to burn more calories also, hoping to burn 3-500 at least 5 days a week with just the normal dog walks everyday. I'm looking forward to my results I have my tiny jeans and dresses ready to wear..
    8kg .. 1 kg at a time
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Try Nakd bars instead of 9 bars if you like fruit and nut bars to snack on - they are smaller so lower in calories but still fairly satisfying. Their protein flapjacks are similar in size and calories to 9 bars, but the small bars are 100 - 130 depending on the flavour.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Try snacking on fresh fruit instead of processed bars. Fruit has around 100 calories rather than 245.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I used to eat lots of small meals. And was constantly starving, thinking about my next meal, and noticed my energy would go up and down a lot. I started eating less but bigger meals, with plenty of fat and no longer feel like I could gnaw an arm off. My energy is more even, and no afternoon slumps either!
  • alicek85
    alicek85 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I try as much as possible to log my food ahead of time. At night I log everything I'm planning to eat the next day, and then just modify during the day as necessary. That way there are no surprises and I can balance out my day and make sure I can fit in the things I truly want to eat. It also saves me having to think about what to eat and maybe making bad choices if I'm in a rush or tired, because I've already got everything planned and balanced.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I just ate a snickers ice cream bar for 179 calories :)

I love calorie counting
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    10 calories over is not an epic fail. In fact you still ate at a deficit (assuming you chose 2 pound loss so to fail you would have to eat at least 1,000 calories over your goal) so it's still a win. Very few people learning a new thing get it right on the first try. Okay so you stumbled a little. Big whoop. Keep going anyway.

You can totally do it. :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    10 calories over is not an epic fail. In fact you still ate at a deficit (assuming you chose 2 pound loss so to fail you would have to eat at least 1,000 calories over your goal) so it's still a win. Very few people learning a new thing get it right on the first try. Okay so you stumbled a little. Big whoop. Keep going anyway.

2010 isn't 10 over 1200....unless I've misread something!
    Still not the end of the world... It's all a learning curve. OP, at least you're aware now if what you're eating
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options

2010 isn't 10 over 1200....unless I've misread something!
    Still not the end of the world... It's all a learning curve. OP, at least you're aware now if what you're eating

Agreed on all this. Seriously though tisz amazing how you don't realize what you are eating until you log everything. Kepp going. Day one is not the be all end all. The better you are the more you know. :-)
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Try 0% fat greek yogurt and hard boilded eggs for your snacks instead of these snack bars. They tend to be way higher in calories and carbs than I would like. I find if I have too many carbs in a day, I wake up hungrier and I become hungrier during the day (I'm pre-diabetic) so I watch out for my carbs.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is that you track for your first week *without* trying to stay under the calorie count. Why? Because you are just learning what the nutrition facts for the way you eat. Certainly you can make adjustments, like replacing high calorie snacks with others. But don't judge yourself during week 1. It's a learning time so you can get used to tracking. Next week you can try to plan your menu accordingly.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I don't think you failed at all. I agree that it's a learning curve.

First day you got some really good information from logging. You learned some things were higher in calories than you thought. Now you can use that information for your second day. So maybe, instead of having (for example) 2 nut bars, only have one.

It's great that you logged everything your first day. You got some solid data collection right there, and now you have an opportunity to use what you learned and apply some new things.

Good luck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,576 Member
    Options
    You're not committed nor have a specific plan on how to eat within your calorie goal. Till you do, the pattern will continue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    unfortunately trying to lose loads of weight in a short space of time (crash dieting) is not better than slow and steady lifestyle change - I'd work on changing your mindset on that first.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'd say its a success that you're not thinking about what you're eating, in terms of what you can do differently. And have you estimated how many calories you burn in a typical day? 1200 may not be a realistic goal so aiming for 1200 may be something to reevaluate on day 2.