"To The Fatty Running On The Track This Afternoon"

Options

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they're inspiring at the gym, and then 30 minutes later when they stop somewhere else to dare to eat in public, the same people applauding them in the gym are bitching about how dare they be fat and not take care of themselves. This entire meme exists so people can give themselves a free pass for judging at Subway by reminding themselves how charitable they were at the gym.
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I totally side with the fat guy - I'd be pretty insulted if someone decided to stick their nose in, imagine they knew my life story and then patronizingly congratulate me on achievements they know nothing about. In fact i'd be telling them to chuff off in far less eloquent manner.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I loathe this meme. Loathe it

Signed,
    A fat runner who now wonders if a meme is being made about her every time she runs in public.

I have no doubt you meant well though, OP. It's just that myself and many others find this meme extremely patronizing.

Same. No longer really even fat, but stuff like this puts me right back in that headspace. I have read that the person who wrote it originally meant to inspire his male friend in an indirect way, but it's still patronizing. Everyone should stay in their own lane and stop assuming that people feel inadequate or need a pat on the back.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    cringeworthy as fuk
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If someone who is "exercising" has enough time to think this and then later write it they aren't spending enough time really exercising...when I work out I don't notice anyone around me...ever...I see the walls, the bars, the plates, the puddles to avoid and holes in the walking bridge...that's what I see.

get your mind on your workout not what is around you...you'd be better off.

Oh an btw the title sucks..."to the fatty..." WTF...
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I really hate the original. How nauseatingly patronizing. Guess what, I don't need to be "inspired", I inspire myself. And the fact that whoever composed this thought it was at all appropriate to bring up the other person's weight shows how skewed their thinking is.

The whole thing just reinforces the idea that fat people are only acceptable if they obviously are working their *** off to fight it and are miserable in the process.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    This is why I don't facebook.
    YOU, I like!

• galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    If someone who is "exercising" has enough time to think this and then later write it they aren't spending enough time really exercising...when I work out I don't notice anyone around me...ever...I see the walls, the bars, the plates, the puddles to avoid and holes in the walking bridge...that's what I see.

Oh come on, you've never in your life looked around while you're exercising? When you're resting in between sets, you just stare at the ground? You never look at people to see if they're done with their set yet so you can use their bench? And what is this, you don't think when you exercise? Your mind is completely blank as you stare at the ground to look for puddles when you're jogging??

We're humans. Of course we look around and see other people. Of course we think about them. And yeah, sometimes the thoughts are "judgy". Sometimes it's "Oh man that girl has such nice muscles" or "how is she jogging in denim shorts, my thighs would be so raw" or "that girl really needs to invest in a higher quality sports bra" or "oh god, that guy's workout shorts are too loose and I can totally see his butt crack, gross, ew, look away". This happens when I'm not at the gym, too.

And I am absolutely certain that people have thought things along the exact same lines when they've seen me at the gym or on the street jogging or, really, just out and about in daily life. Do I care? No, because I am not a Milford man and will always be seen and heard. I used to jog around in the tiny atrium in my house because I was too afraid the neighbors would see me in between the slats of our fence. I was also in middle school, and was really really afraid what others would think about me in pretty much every situation. Luckily...I grew up. I realize that people are going to judge me and draw conclusions about me until, and hopefully after, I die. This is life. This does not change anything about who I actually am.

With all of that said...just because I have these thoughts when I see other people, and think that it's totally normal to do so, doesn't mean I would EVER presume to post it on social media. Or tell anyone my thoughts about them. Because I know that these "judgements" and "assumptions" are just that - completely assumed; I know absolutely nothing about these people.

Very few good things come from social media. This is not one of them.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Does exercising with no rest between sets work for you?

When I lift, I notice things around me. When I rest, I notice things around me. When I walk, I notice things around me. Nice to know I've been "exercising" incorrectly all this time.

Your post is about as cringe-inducing as the original one.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I just don't like that letter at all. I understand that she thought she was being motivating but I don't like it.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're real but if they were I'd prefer the response.

When I started at the gym in Sept of 2013, over 60 lbs heavier than I am right now, I tried to be friendly with a couple who were about my age...............old. They totally snubbed me, but I didn't let it get to me. I didn't really care that much, I just wanted to get my work done and get the hell out of there.

Now.............I've turned into a gym rat, but a friendly one, who gives others an acknowledgement of their hard work. A little encouragement and friendliness never hurt anyone. As far as the couple goes, now they want to be friends..............LOL, not interested.

If the first guy really believed what he was saying................he would have made sure the runner knew it!
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Both of them, give me a friggin break.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    catieraney wrote: »

Oh come on, you've never in your life looked around while you're exercising? When you're resting in between sets, you just stare at the ground? You never look at people to see if they're done with their set yet so you can use their bench? And what is this, you don't think when you exercise? Your mind is completely blank as you stare at the ground to look for puddles when you're jogging??

We're humans. Of course we look around and see other people. Of course we think about them. And yeah, sometimes the thoughts are "judgy". Sometimes it's "Oh man that girl has such nice muscles" or "how is she jogging in denim shorts, my thighs would be so raw" or "that girl really needs to invest in a higher quality sports bra" or "oh god, that guy's workout shorts are too loose and I can totally see his butt crack, gross, ew, look away". This happens when I'm not at the gym, too.

And I am absolutely certain that people have thought things along the exact same lines when they've seen me at the gym or on the street jogging or, really, just out and about in daily life. Do I care? No, because I am not a Milford man and will always be seen and heard. I used to jog around in the tiny atrium in my house because I was too afraid the neighbors would see me in between the slats of our fence. I was also in middle school, and was really really afraid what others would think about me in pretty much every situation. Luckily...I grew up. I realize that people are going to judge me and draw conclusions about me until, and hopefully after, I die. This is life. This does not change anything about who I actually am.

With all of that said...just because I have these thoughts when I see other people, and think that it's totally normal to do so, doesn't mean I would EVER presume to post it on social media. Or tell anyone my thoughts about them. Because I know that these "judgements" and "assumptions" are just that - completely assumed; I know absolutely nothing about these people.

Very few good things come from social media. This is not one of them.

while exercising I am concentrating on the wall so I can get my lifts in, I have 1min rest between sets...time enough to get the bar ready for the next set...max 2mins...not a lot of time to look around at anyone I am working out...I have my own bench but even then looking at someone is different than "noticing them and thinking about them"...When I am running/walking...I am thinking about the music I am listening too ....or if I can make it to the next area without dying...

Not everyone is the same...so no I don't look around at people when I am working out...and wonder about them...when I was jogging on Tuesday there were people walking (and we have to go opposite ways) don't ask me how many people were there I am not sure...might have been 3 or 4 i don't know..because I am working out my mind is on my workout...deal with it...
  • SezxyStef
    Options

When I lift, I notice things around me. When I rest, I notice things around me. When I walk, I notice things around me. Nice to know I've been "exercising" incorrectly all this time.

When you are exercising do you notice them enough to write a FB post about the fatties?

I have rests between sets but not long ones...and where did I say anyone was exercising incorrectly...I said if people spent less time noticing everything around them and more energy on their workout they would be better off.

it's funny how people read into things so much(exercising incorrectly)...*smh*
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

When you are exercising do you notice them enough to write a FB post about the fatties?

I have rests between sets but not long ones...and where did I say anyone was exercising incorrectly...I said if people spent less time noticing everything around them and more energy on their workout they would be better off.

it's funny how people read into things so much(exercising incorrectly)...*smh*
    I notice them enough to write posts about them, yeah. Particularly if someone or something stands out.

You put exercising in quotes and said they weren't "really exercising" if they had time to think about something like that. The implication was clear, however much you want to try now to walk it back.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that have stated no one has to except a compliment laced with insults. I find the original post to be just rude and mean spirited, but then I cannot stand Facebook at all so...

I've had 3 people ( all women ) at my gym tell me that they can see the difference in me since I started going to the gym, they see my weight loss and they see 100% effort from me at every workout.

That feels awesome, I really appreciate the compliment and I believe its genuine. BUT this only reinforces that people really are watching other people at the gym...

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I loathe this meme. Loathe it

Signed,
    A fat runner who now wonders if a meme is being made about her every time she runs in public.

I have no doubt you meant well though, OP. It's just that myself and many others find this meme extremely patronizing.

That's sort of how I feel about the initial post.

I'm not sure how I feel about what the guy did who responded. I get that he didn't intend for his response to go viral, and he made some valid points. I would rather he had been straight forward about his identity and not role-played, though.

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    This wasn't motivating when it first came out a few years ago and it's not motivating now.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I think his reply sucks.

The person wasn't writing it to be an a-hole. They wrote it because they respected the journey he chose to embark on to better himself. He's just an angry fat person who's taking his anger out on someone who meant well. No one who's 420 pounds put that much weight on by "eating better than most people". Sure maybe he's not eating midnight snacks but he'd have to be snacking on a lot of something to get that big. I'm 100 pounds overweight and you know what...I own it. I obviously didn't make the correct decisions when it came to food intake. But bashing someone who made up a creative back story for why a guy was out there running is foolish. When that guy reads his reply what's gonna be his impression of him now. He's simply gonna think he's a jerk and not give him the time of day.

I think you misread something there. He was 400 pounds, started eating well, and by the time he was 300 pounds and was judged to be eating poorly, was eating a healthy diet.

Moral of the story? You can't presume that someone who is obese is not eating well by looking at them.