Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    If someone who is "exercising" has enough time to think this and then later write it they aren't spending enough time really exercising...when I work out I don't notice anyone around me...ever...I see the walls, the bars, the plates, the puddles to avoid and holes in the walking bridge...that's what I see.

get your mind on your workout not what is around you...you'd be better off.

Oh an btw the title sucks..."to the fatty..." WTF...
    Does exercising with no rest between sets work for you?

When I lift, I notice things around me. When I rest, I notice things around me. When I walk, I notice things around me. Nice to know I've been "exercising" incorrectly all this time.

Your post is about as cringe-inducing as the original one.

When you are exercising do you notice them enough to write a FB post about the fatties?

I have rests between sets but not long ones...and where did I say anyone was exercising incorrectly...I said if people spent less time noticing everything around them and more energy on their workout they would be better off.

it's funny how people read into things so much(exercising incorrectly)...*smh*

Stef, I know what you mean, and believe me, when I'm doing intervals on the treadmill I'm very focused.

However? If orgasm noise man gets on the treadmill next to me? (There's a guy in my gym who makes sex noises ... LOUD sex noises... when he runs) Yes, I could write a post about that.

and this is why I have my music on and earbuds... that would be distracting...

auditory distractions are hard to get past...visual eh...head down and away we go.

Trust me, he's loud enough that I hear him, from the other end of the room, with my ear buds in.

The day he got on the treadmill next to me? I had to leave or I was going to laugh.

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    To all of the people saying the text in the OP was just a way to give respect and thumbs up to someone - no it explicitly wasn't, it was a spoof of an original post written by someone somewhere on the net to encourage their friend to run. Read up the links posted earlier in the thread!

The original letter was about the courage of running and had very little mention of weight and fatness, then someone made this spoof version full to the brim with images of a self-loathing fat person and it went viral.

It's all in the links on page 1.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    chelsy0587 wrote: »
    I agree with others that have stated no one has to except a compliment laced with insults. I find the original post to be just rude and mean spirited, but then I cannot stand Facebook at all so...

I've had 3 people ( all women ) at my gym tell me that they can see the difference in me since I started going to the gym, they see my weight loss and they see 100% effort from me at every workout.

That feels awesome, I really appreciate the compliment and I believe its genuine. BUT this only reinforces that people really are watching other people at the gym...

I'm heavy and I'm embarrased by it. I manage to go to the gym and get some exercise by telling myself that everyone there is busy and seeking the same thing no matter how fit they appear and nobody is looking at me anyway. It disturbs me and ruins my self talk to have it reinforced that in fact people are looking at me and judging.

Please dont take it that way.

In my view people judge everything, everywhere, all the time.

Walking down the street, you judge every person you see:
    Are they a threat?
    What is their mood?
    Do I know them?

Its impossible not to make judgements about every thing you see. That is not to say its being "judgemental" though. Its an instinct to evaluate everything, isnt it?

When I see someone in the gym and they are going for it, ultra fit or ultra fat, I have nothing but respect for them. It inspires me to push on myself.

When I see somone in the gym doing something silly Ill find it amusing and move on, its forgotten as quickly as its thought.

For the most part when in the gym I am very much focused on what Im doing, but I am aware of others and what they are doing. And notice I do pay attention to other peoples form around the weights, I feel I have a lot to learn and take every opportunity to observe how to go about it.

Absolutely none of that is meant with ill intent, and I would be very upset if I thought someone took it as such.

Dont ever let that sort of worry stop you. Chances are you are that 'heavy' guy on the treadmill I see and think "Damn! Wish I could keep going as long as that!"
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    The rebuttal. Pretty much sums up the post:

"To the man who judged me on the Westview track,

I see that you wrote a Facebook status about my journey and me. It described me on the track and from what I gather it was supposed to inspire after a little insult. It went viral.

So let me tell you what I think of your post…

First off I would suggest you not judge me at all. You have my journey all messed up. My journey did not start twelve days ago. It started over a year ago. You see me at 300 pounds but what you do not know is I was over 400 pounds. You did not know this because I was embarrassed to run in front of other people. So I would come to this track when no one else was around. Sometimes I would go for a couple of minutes. Sometimes I would go for four minutes. It all started when I went for 48 seconds my first time running. Yes, I timed it. Yes I was upset. And yes, I promised it would never happen again.

When I was over 400 pounds and decided to make the commitment to change my life I would wake up and look in the mirror. I would find at least 100 negative things about my body. All the descriptions you made about me…I was even harder on myself.

Then after losing a few pounds I looked in the mirror again. I did not look at my body. I looked in my eyes. I saw determination and character. I saw a man who did not want to be an inspiration for others but one for himself. I was that man.

Your whole post insults me like no end. I do not eat midnight snacks or drink beer. You probably think all “fat” people do this. Well, we do not. I ate better than most at 300 pounds. In fact, I have not had a drink in well over 20 years.

I look down because I see you stare at me all the time. I do not want to give you the satisfaction of looking into my eyes. There are people who were supporting me all along. Not people who made up fictional parts of my life.

I also do not listen to music because I hear everything. I hear the laughter and I hear the snickers. They are never about me except they always are. I have been overweight my whole life. I have not had my blinders on for some time.

There are no mantras going through my head. When I run it is clear. I have no anger or happiness. I am there to complete a task. I am good at that.

You fooled people on Facebook but you have not fooled me. You do not have respect for my journey because you do not know it. I have told my story to thousands of people. I have been told that I have inspired many as well. Not because of the way I run but because of the person I am. Not because of my 200 pound weight loss but because of the words that I have had inside for years.

Many of us have been that person being judged and then twirled into some weird inspirational story. I was judged at the gym at 400 pounds. I was laughed at in Panera at 350 pounds. I was embarrassed at 300 pounds and honestly I was the same person at 195 pounds as I was at 420 pounds.

I tell people now that weight loss should not make you love yourself more. That is the mistake I made.

So next time you look at me on that track do yourself a favor. Look away. I do not look like I once did. I do not want to be your inspiration or your motivation.

I am a runner. I was a runner at 420 pounds and I am a runner today.

And runners do one thing.

They run. Not write about other runners.

Regards,
    "

You seem angry..not at the writer who attempted to be supportive and maybe made a mistake but at the world. why?
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options

However? If orgasm noise man gets on the treadmill next to me? (There's a guy in my gym who makes sex noises ... LOUD sex noises... when he runs) Yes, I could write a post about that.

LMAO. How awkward.

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Wow all the assumptions...all the assumptions.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If someone who is "exercising" has enough time to think this and then later write it they aren't spending enough time really exercising...when I work out I don't notice anyone around me...ever...I see the walls, the bars, the plates, the puddles to avoid and holes in the walking bridge...that's what I see.

When I lift, I notice things around me. When I rest, I notice things around me. When I walk, I notice things around me. Nice to know I've been "exercising" incorrectly all this time.

When you are exercising do you notice them enough to write a FB post about the fatties?

I have rests between sets but not long ones...and where did I say anyone was exercising incorrectly...I said if people spent less time noticing everything around them and more energy on their workout they would be better off.

Some of my best material for Facebook comes from what I see while I'm exercising. Would I write about how some fat person looked, even if my intent was to turn it around and say that what they were doing was good? I really doubt it. At least, I hope I wouldn't. But there's a lot to be seen around the neighborhood that makes for good Facebook posts. If my attention was turned completely to my workout, I would be bored out of my mind.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »

I see that you wrote a Facebook status about my journey and me. It described me on the track and from what I gather it was supposed to inspire after a little insult. It went viral.

First off I would suggest you not judge me at all. You have my journey all messed up. My journey did not start twelve days ago. It started over a year ago. You see me at 300 pounds but what you do not know is I was over 400 pounds. You did not know this because I was embarrassed to run in front of other people. So I would come to this track when no one else was around. Sometimes I would go for a couple of minutes. Sometimes I would go for four minutes. It all started when I went for 48 seconds my first time running. Yes, I timed it. Yes I was upset. And yes, I promised it would never happen again.

When I was over 400 pounds and decided to make the commitment to change my life I would wake up and look in the mirror. I would find at least 100 negative things about my body. All the descriptions you made about me…I was even harder on myself.

Then after losing a few pounds I looked in the mirror again. I did not look at my body. I looked in my eyes. I saw determination and character. I saw a man who did not want to be an inspiration for others but one for himself. I was that man.

Your whole post insults me like no end. I do not eat midnight snacks or drink beer. You probably think all “fat” people do this. Well, we do not. I ate better than most at 300 pounds. In fact, I have not had a drink in well over 20 years.

I look down because I see you stare at me all the time. I do not want to give you the satisfaction of looking into my eyes. There are people who were supporting me all along. Not people who made up fictional parts of my life.

I also do not listen to music because I hear everything. I hear the laughter and I hear the snickers. They are never about me except they always are. I have been overweight my whole life. I have not had my blinders on for some time.

There are no mantras going through my head. When I run it is clear. I have no anger or happiness. I am there to complete a task. I am good at that.

You fooled people on Facebook but you have not fooled me. You do not have respect for my journey because you do not know it. I have told my story to thousands of people. I have been told that I have inspired many as well. Not because of the way I run but because of the person I am. Not because of my 200 pound weight loss but because of the words that I have had inside for years.

Many of us have been that person being judged and then twirled into some weird inspirational story. I was judged at the gym at 400 pounds. I was laughed at in Panera at 350 pounds. I was embarrassed at 300 pounds and honestly I was the same person at 195 pounds as I was at 420 pounds.

I tell people now that weight loss should not make you love yourself more. That is the mistake I made.

So next time you look at me on that track do yourself a favor. Look away. I do not look like I once did. I do not want to be your inspiration or your motivation.

Regards,
    "

You seem angry..not at the writer who attempted to be supportive and maybe made a mistake but at the world. why?

You do realize that was a quote from a published article and not someone's personal post on this board, right?
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    obpyum wrote: »
    I am more likely to judge you for walking into a mcdonald's

Why do you give a crap about what strangers are eating? If they are thin and walk in McDonald's, are they absolved?

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Wow all the assumptions...all the assumptions.

Same can be said about the OP.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    catieraney wrote: »

Oh come on, you've never in your life looked around while you're exercising? When you're resting in between sets, you just stare at the ground? You never look at people to see if they're done with their set yet so you can use their bench? And what is this, you don't think when you exercise? Your mind is completely blank as you stare at the ground to look for puddles when you're jogging??

We're humans. Of course we look around and see other people. Of course we think about them. And yeah, sometimes the thoughts are "judgy". Sometimes it's "Oh man that girl has such nice muscles" or "how is she jogging in denim shorts, my thighs would be so raw" or "that girl really needs to invest in a higher quality sports bra" or "oh god, that guy's workout shorts are too loose and I can totally see his butt crack, gross, ew, look away". This happens when I'm not at the gym, too.

And I am absolutely certain that people have thought things along the exact same lines when they've seen me at the gym or on the street jogging or, really, just out and about in daily life. Do I care? No, because I am not a Milford man and will always be seen and heard. I used to jog around in the tiny atrium in my house because I was too afraid the neighbors would see me in between the slats of our fence. I was also in middle school, and was really really afraid what others would think about me in pretty much every situation. Luckily...I grew up. I realize that people are going to judge me and draw conclusions about me until, and hopefully after, I die. This is life. This does not change anything about who I actually am.

With all of that said...just because I have these thoughts when I see other people, and think that it's totally normal to do so, doesn't mean I would EVER presume to post it on social media. Or tell anyone my thoughts about them. Because I know that these "judgements" and "assumptions" are just that - completely assumed; I know absolutely nothing about these people.

Very few good things come from social media. This is not one of them.

I agree completely. We all notice. We all judge...about everything. That is natural, and there is nothing wrong with it as long as you keep your thoughts private and don't broadcast them to the world.

I constantly look at other people when I run. I run in a park on a 1.6 mile track. So I pass many people who are slower and have many people who are faster pass me so get the chance to look at literally dozens of different people every time I run. I look at all of them in great detail...it keeps things interesting. I am constantly thinking...male or female...that person has great legs. Or that person's legs are not attractive to me. I like their X. I don't like their Y. That's what I want my Z to look like. She should gain a few pounds. She is too hunched over...her form is bad. He has great form. I wish I could run at that pace. I remember when I used to only be able to run at that pace. How can he run without music? Oh my God, he is incredibly attractive. I find that body shape extremely unattractive...I'm glad I don't have that. I really love that body shape....I wonder if I can look like that at goal...probably not, c'est la vie.

And when I see really overweight people running, I just remember how hard it was for me at that weight and silently wish them well and to stick with it. If that makes me a jerk in some people's eyes, oh well. I can live with that.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Stef, I know what you mean, and believe me, when I'm doing intervals on the treadmill I'm very focused.

and this is why I have my music on and earbuds... that would be distracting...

auditory distractions are hard to get past...visual eh...head down and away we go.

Trust me, he's loud enough that I hear him, from the other end of the room, with my ear buds in.

The day he got on the treadmill next to me? I had to leave or I was going to laugh.
    we need a like button seriously...or a roflmao button...hehe too funny...
  • SezxyStef
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

Oh come on, you've never in your life looked around while you're exercising? When you're resting in between sets, you just stare at the ground? You never look at people to see if they're done with their set yet so you can use their bench? And what is this, you don't think when you exercise? Your mind is completely blank as you stare at the ground to look for puddles when you're jogging??

We're humans. Of course we look around and see other people. Of course we think about them. And yeah, sometimes the thoughts are "judgy". Sometimes it's "Oh man that girl has such nice muscles" or "how is she jogging in denim shorts, my thighs would be so raw" or "that girl really needs to invest in a higher quality sports bra" or "oh god, that guy's workout shorts are too loose and I can totally see his butt crack, gross, ew, look away". This happens when I'm not at the gym, too.

And I am absolutely certain that people have thought things along the exact same lines when they've seen me at the gym or on the street jogging or, really, just out and about in daily life. Do I care? No, because I am not a Milford man and will always be seen and heard. I used to jog around in the tiny atrium in my house because I was too afraid the neighbors would see me in between the slats of our fence. I was also in middle school, and was really really afraid what others would think about me in pretty much every situation. Luckily...I grew up. I realize that people are going to judge me and draw conclusions about me until, and hopefully after, I die. This is life. This does not change anything about who I actually am.

With all of that said...just because I have these thoughts when I see other people, and think that it's totally normal to do so, doesn't mean I would EVER presume to post it on social media. Or tell anyone my thoughts about them. Because I know that these "judgements" and "assumptions" are just that - completely assumed; I know absolutely nothing about these people.

I agree completely. We all notice. We all judge...about everything. That is natural, and there is nothing wrong with it as long as you keep your thoughts private and don't broadcast them to the world.

I constantly look at other people when I run. I run in a park on a 1.6 mile track. So I pass many people who are slower and have many people who are faster pass me so get the chance to look at literally dozens of different people every time I run. I look at all of them in great detail...it keeps things interesting. I am constantly thinking...male or female...that person has great legs. Or that person's legs are not attractive to me. I like their X. I don't like their Y. That's what I want my Z to look like. She should gain a few pounds. She is too hunched over...her form is bad. He has great form. I wish I could run at that pace. I remember when I used to only be able to run at that pace. How can he run without music? Oh my God, he is incredibly attractive. I find that body shape extremely unattractive...I'm glad I don't have that. I really love that body shape....I wonder if I can look like that at goal...probably not, c'est la vie.

And when I see really overweight people running, I just remember how hard it was for me at that weight and silently wish them well and to stick with it. If that makes me a jerk in some people's eyes, oh well. I can live with that.

no we don't. I do not judge people exercising...ever. Why because I very rarely notice them because I am exercising....I don't often run where other people are, nor do I go to a gym frequently...I do not look at others and judge as I exercise...period, even if there are others there...

*smh* not everyone is the same....

PS I don't find exercise boring so it keeps me entertained and thinking about the next leg of my run keeps me interested.

ETA: it's not place to judge anyone...and if I do happen to notice someone on the trail it's not a very long "notice" more of a pacing glance..

God I am glad I don't have to go to a gym if this is what it's like....smh
  • MoiAussi93
    Options

This reminded me of one of my ex-roommates. She told us that when she was at the gym and would use the captain's chair to do leg raises she would get very aroused to the point of orgasm. I, of course, immediately tried that exercise (which I had previously avoided) the next time I went to the gym. Sadly, I must report that I was not so lucky. To me it was just a difficult exercise and caused no pleasure. If it had, I am certain I would have reached goal with a six pack years ago.

But this is a real thing. It does have that effect on certain people. I have met one or two others who claimed the same.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options

no we don't. I do not judge people exercising...ever. Why because I very rarely notice them because I am exercising....I don't often run where other people are, nor do I go to a gym frequently...I do not look at others and judge as I exercise...period, even if there are others there...

PS I don't find exercise boring so it keeps me entertained and thinking about the next leg of my run keeps me interested.

ETA: it's not place to judge anyone...and if I do happen to notice someone on the trail it's not a very long "notice" more of a pacing glance..

Wonderful, you don't notice anybody or anything. Great. Lots of people do though. There is hardly anything unusual about that and certainly nothing wrong with it.

My run doesn't require much thought. If I am doing sprints, the 20 or 30 seconds I am sprinting keep me focused so that I don't trip and fall. But the 2 minute recovery intervals give me plenty of time to look around and observe. And my long slow run even more so. Putting one foot in front of the other and repeating many times doesn't take 100% of my concentration so I look at other people. That and the music and thoughts about things going on in my life help pass the time. Thinking about the actual act of running does not do that for me.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Wonderful, you don't notice anybody or anything. Great. Lots of people do though. There is hardly anything unusual about that and certainly nothing wrong with it.

My run doesn't require much thought. If I am doing sprints, the 20 or 30 seconds I am sprinting keep me focused so that I don't trip and fall. But the 2 minute recovery intervals give me plenty of time to look around and observe. And my long slow run even more so. Putting one foot in front of the other and repeating many times doesn't take 100% of my concentration so I look at other people. That and the music and thoughts about things going on in my life help pass the time. Thinking about the actual act of running does not do that for me.

Wow where did you get I don't notice anyone or anything? That's a pretty definitive statement about me coming from someone who doesn't know me...let me qualify it for you...I do not notice people when I am preoccupied with exercise...

and again did I say there was anything wrong with noticing people/things no even when exercising....not once...have at...notice all you want, have that inner dialogue about what you do and don't like about them...if it makes you happy. My OP said that person needed to spend more focus on their exercise and less on what they termed "fatties"

So again tell me...the next time someone asks about being judged/looked at when they go to the gym and everyone says...no you are not judged or looked at are you going to be there to let them know that yes you are there looking at them noticing them?????? 10:1 nope you won't be.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't go up and say things to overweight people at the gym or on the track. It's non of my concern why they are there, and how much weight they lost etc. All our stories are different so stop assuming.
  • Kst76
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I think his reply sucks.

The person wasn't writing it to be an a-hole. They wrote it because they respected the journey he chose to embark on to better himself. He's just an angry fat person who's taking his anger out on someone who meant well. No one who's 420 pounds put that much weight on by "eating better than most people". Sure maybe he's not eating midnight snacks but he'd have to be snacking on a lot of something to get that big. I'm 100 pounds overweight and you know what...I own it. I obviously didn't make the correct decisions when it came to food intake. But bashing someone who made up a creative back story for why a guy was out there running is foolish. When that guy reads his reply what's gonna be his impression of him now. He's simply gonna think he's a jerk and not give him the time of day.

I think you misread something there. He was 400 pounds, started eating well, and by the time he was 300 pounds and was judged to be eating poorly, was eating a healthy diet.

Moral of the story? You can't presume that someone who is obese is not eating well by looking at them.

Exactly! God I wish MFP had a thumbs up option!
  • MoiAussi93
    edited May 2015
    Options

Wow where did you get I don't notice anyone or anything? That's a pretty definitive statement about me coming from someone who doesn't know me...let me qualify it for you...I do not notice people when I am preoccupied with exercise...

and again did I say there was anything wrong with noticing people/things no even when exercising....not once...have at...notice all you want, have that inner dialogue about what you do and don't like about them...if it makes you happy. My OP said that person needed to spend more focus on their exercise and less on what they termed "fatties"

So again tell me...the next time someone asks about being judged/looked at when they go to the gym and everyone says...no you are not judged or looked at are you going to be there to let them know that yes you are there looking at them noticing them?????? 10:1 nope you won't be.

Wow, you seem a little grumpy today. Relax, it's just the Internet.

Anybody going to a gym, exercising outside, walking down the street, standing in line, riding the subway, basically doing absolutely anything at all in public....WILL be noticed and looked at by at least some of the people in proximity. And those that do notice them will have fleeting thoughts...positive or negative...and then immediately move on with their day. That's reality. It doesn't bother me that people have these thoughts about me, and nobody else should worry about it either.

• Kst76
    Options

Regards,
    "

Lol...that was not a reply from any of us. That was the 400 pound runner's reply to the person watching him everyday on the track...