"To The Fatty Running On The Track This Afternoon"

Options

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    If someone who is "exercising" has enough time to think this and then later write it they aren't spending enough time really exercising...when I work out I don't notice anyone around me...ever...I see the walls, the bars, the plates, the puddles to avoid and holes in the walking bridge...that's what I see.

get your mind on your workout not what is around you...you'd be better off.

Oh an btw the title sucks..."to the fatty..." WTF...
    Does exercising with no rest between sets work for you?

When I lift, I notice things around me. When I rest, I notice things around me. When I walk, I notice things around me. Nice to know I've been "exercising" incorrectly all this time.

Your post is about as cringe-inducing as the original one.

When you are exercising do you notice them enough to write a FB post about the fatties?

I have rests between sets but not long ones...and where did I say anyone was exercising incorrectly...I said if people spent less time noticing everything around them and more energy on their workout they would be better off.

it's funny how people read into things so much(exercising incorrectly)...*smh*

Stef, I know what you mean, and believe me, when I'm doing intervals on the treadmill I'm very focused.

However? If orgasm noise man gets on the treadmill next to me? (There's a guy in my gym who makes sex noises ... LOUD sex noises... when he runs) Yes, I could write a post about that.

Ewwwww!
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    If someone who is "exercising" has enough time to think this and then later write it they aren't spending enough time really exercising...when I work out I don't notice anyone around me...ever...I see the walls, the bars, the plates, the puddles to avoid and holes in the walking bridge...that's what I see.

When I lift, I notice things around me. When I rest, I notice things around me. When I walk, I notice things around me. Nice to know I've been "exercising" incorrectly all this time.

When you are exercising do you notice them enough to write a FB post about the fatties?

I have rests between sets but not long ones...and where did I say anyone was exercising incorrectly...I said if people spent less time noticing everything around them and more energy on their workout they would be better off.

Stef, I know what you mean, and believe me, when I'm doing intervals on the treadmill I'm very focused.

However? If orgasm noise man gets on the treadmill next to me? (There's a guy in my gym who makes sex noises ... LOUD sex noises... when he runs) Yes, I could write a post about that.

and this is why I have my music on and earbuds... that would be distracting...

auditory distractions are hard to get past...visual eh...head down and away we go.

Trust me, he's loud enough that I hear him, from the other end of the room, with my ear buds in.

The day he got on the treadmill next to me? I had to leave or I was going to laugh.

If you have the nerve (I wouldn't, or maybe I would, who knows!) next time start emulating him in his orgasm sounds. Do everything it takes to make your noises louder than his. I think that would be fun.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    catieraney wrote: »

Oh come on, you've never in your life looked around while you're exercising? When you're resting in between sets, you just stare at the ground? You never look at people to see if they're done with their set yet so you can use their bench? And what is this, you don't think when you exercise? Your mind is completely blank as you stare at the ground to look for puddles when you're jogging??

We're humans. Of course we look around and see other people. Of course we think about them. And yeah, sometimes the thoughts are "judgy". Sometimes it's "Oh man that girl has such nice muscles" or "how is she jogging in denim shorts, my thighs would be so raw" or "that girl really needs to invest in a higher quality sports bra" or "oh god, that guy's workout shorts are too loose and I can totally see his butt crack, gross, ew, look away". This happens when I'm not at the gym, too.

And I am absolutely certain that people have thought things along the exact same lines when they've seen me at the gym or on the street jogging or, really, just out and about in daily life. Do I care? No, because I am not a Milford man and will always be seen and heard. I used to jog around in the tiny atrium in my house because I was too afraid the neighbors would see me in between the slats of our fence. I was also in middle school, and was really really afraid what others would think about me in pretty much every situation. Luckily...I grew up. I realize that people are going to judge me and draw conclusions about me until, and hopefully after, I die. This is life. This does not change anything about who I actually am.

With all of that said...just because I have these thoughts when I see other people, and think that it's totally normal to do so, doesn't mean I would EVER presume to post it on social media. Or tell anyone my thoughts about them. Because I know that these "judgements" and "assumptions" are just that - completely assumed; I know absolutely nothing about these people.

Very few good things come from social media. This is not one of them.

I agree completely. We all notice. We all judge...about everything. That is natural, and there is nothing wrong with it as long as you keep your thoughts private and don't broadcast them to the world.

I constantly look at other people when I run. I run in a park on a 1.6 mile track. So I pass many people who are slower and have many people who are faster pass me so get the chance to look at literally dozens of different people every time I run. I look at all of them in great detail...it keeps things interesting. I am constantly thinking...male or female...that person has great legs. Or that person's legs are not attractive to me. I like their X. I don't like their Y. That's what I want my Z to look like. She should gain a few pounds. She is too hunched over...her form is bad. He has great form. I wish I could run at that pace. I remember when I used to only be able to run at that pace. How can he run without music? Oh my God, he is incredibly attractive. I find that body shape extremely unattractive...I'm glad I don't have that. I really love that body shape....I wonder if I can look like that at goal...probably not, c'est la vie.

And when I see really overweight people running, I just remember how hard it was for me at that weight and silently wish them well and to stick with it. If that makes me a jerk in some people's eyes, oh well. I can live with that.

no we don't. I do not judge people exercising...ever. Why because I very rarely notice them because I am exercising....I don't often run where other people are, nor do I go to a gym frequently...I do not look at others and judge as I exercise...period, even if there are others there...

*smh* not everyone is the same....

PS I don't find exercise boring so it keeps me entertained and thinking about the next leg of my run keeps me interested.

ETA: it's not place to judge anyone...and if I do happen to notice someone on the trail it's not a very long "notice" more of a pacing glance..

God I am glad I don't have to go to a gym if this is what it's like....smh

Wonderful, you don't notice anybody or anything. Great. Lots of people do though. There is hardly anything unusual about that and certainly nothing wrong with it.

My run doesn't require much thought. If I am doing sprints, the 20 or 30 seconds I am sprinting keep me focused so that I don't trip and fall. But the 2 minute recovery intervals give me plenty of time to look around and observe. And my long slow run even more so. Putting one foot in front of the other and repeating many times doesn't take 100% of my concentration so I look at other people. That and the music and thoughts about things going on in my life help pass the time. Thinking about the actual act of running does not do that for me.

Wow where did you get I don't notice anyone or anything? That's a pretty definitive statement about me coming from someone who doesn't know me...let me qualify it for you...I do not notice people when I am preoccupied with exercise...

and again did I say there was anything wrong with noticing people/things no even when exercising....not once...have at...notice all you want, have that inner dialogue about what you do and don't like about them...if it makes you happy. My OP said that person needed to spend more focus on their exercise and less on what they termed "fatties"

So again tell me...the next time someone asks about being judged/looked at when they go to the gym and everyone says...no you are not judged or looked at are you going to be there to let them know that yes you are there looking at them noticing them?????? 10:1 nope you won't be.

Wow, you seem a little grumpy today. Relax, it's just the Internet.

Anybody going to a gym, exercising outside, walking down the street, standing in line, riding the subway, basically doing absolutely anything at all in public....WILL be noticed and looked at by at least some of the people in proximity. And those that do notice them will have fleeting thoughts...positive or negative...and then immediately move on with their day. That's reality. It doesn't bother me that people have these thoughts about me, and nobody else should worry about it either.

K based on this you will be in the next thread where a person is scared to go to the gym due to people noticing them, thinking about them and/or being judgemental with a big fat resounding "yes...I am that person....I will notice you, think about what you are doing, wearing, how you look and if you are doing exercises correct in my opinion...so your fears are founded....*evil grin*"
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Ewwwww!

I couldn't do it...just no...
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Well over a year old and it keeps coming back. The letter and rebuttal are both bovine excrement.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

I notice them enough to write posts about them, yeah. Particularly if someone or something stands out.

You put exercising in quotes and said they weren't "really exercising" if they had time to think about something like that. The implication was clear, however much you want to try now to walk it back.

and how was my quotes about a person who wrote an article after "exercising" so loathsome and disgusting in anyway questioning how you exercise or if you are doing it right or wrong...

I said and I am quoting

If someone who is "exercising" has enough time to think this and then later write it they aren't spending enough time really exercising

are you telling me you wrote the post? because there was a lot of detail in that particular article that would have required a lot of attention and if the attention of that particular person is on another person to that degree are they really putting a lot of effort into what they are doing????

How many times have I see this in posts here on MFP...

woman "I am scared of the weight side of the gym I will get looked at funny/strange/judged"

MFP Poster "no one is looking at you we are all working out and worried about our workout not who is in the weight section of the gym"...

but when I say it...bam "off with her head" and questioned about it as if I would lie about it...wtf.
    No, I didn't write the post, but I notice the same kinds of things. If you put "exercise" in quotes and said the writer wasn't "really exercising" because he was paying enough attention to his surroundings to notice those details, then the same would apply to me. I don't know if you're being intentionally obtuse, or what.

I don't know about you, but I pay attention to the people -- and the cars, and the dogs, and the pavement, etc. -- when I'm out exercising. I notice when particular cars are or aren't where they usually are. I guess that means I'm not "really exercising" right?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Oh come on, you've never in your life looked around while you're exercising? When you're resting in between sets, you just stare at the ground? You never look at people to see if they're done with their set yet so you can use their bench? And what is this, you don't think when you exercise? Your mind is completely blank as you stare at the ground to look for puddles when you're jogging??

We're humans. Of course we look around and see other people. Of course we think about them. And yeah, sometimes the thoughts are "judgy". Sometimes it's "Oh man that girl has such nice muscles" or "how is she jogging in denim shorts, my thighs would be so raw" or "that girl really needs to invest in a higher quality sports bra" or "oh god, that guy's workout shorts are too loose and I can totally see his butt crack, gross, ew, look away". This happens when I'm not at the gym, too.

And I am absolutely certain that people have thought things along the exact same lines when they've seen me at the gym or on the street jogging or, really, just out and about in daily life. Do I care? No, because I am not a Milford man and will always be seen and heard. I used to jog around in the tiny atrium in my house because I was too afraid the neighbors would see me in between the slats of our fence. I was also in middle school, and was really really afraid what others would think about me in pretty much every situation. Luckily...I grew up. I realize that people are going to judge me and draw conclusions about me until, and hopefully after, I die. This is life. This does not change anything about who I actually am.

With all of that said...just because I have these thoughts when I see other people, and think that it's totally normal to do so, doesn't mean I would EVER presume to post it on social media. Or tell anyone my thoughts about them. Because I know that these "judgements" and "assumptions" are just that - completely assumed; I know absolutely nothing about these people.

I agree completely. We all notice. We all judge...about everything. That is natural, and there is nothing wrong with it as long as you keep your thoughts private and don't broadcast them to the world.

I constantly look at other people when I run. I run in a park on a 1.6 mile track. So I pass many people who are slower and have many people who are faster pass me so get the chance to look at literally dozens of different people every time I run. I look at all of them in great detail...it keeps things interesting. I am constantly thinking...male or female...that person has great legs. Or that person's legs are not attractive to me. I like their X. I don't like their Y. That's what I want my Z to look like. She should gain a few pounds. She is too hunched over...her form is bad. He has great form. I wish I could run at that pace. I remember when I used to only be able to run at that pace. How can he run without music? Oh my God, he is incredibly attractive. I find that body shape extremely unattractive...I'm glad I don't have that. I really love that body shape....I wonder if I can look like that at goal...probably not, c'est la vie.

And when I see really overweight people running, I just remember how hard it was for me at that weight and silently wish them well and to stick with it. If that makes me a jerk in some people's eyes, oh well. I can live with that.

no we don't. I do not judge people exercising...ever. Why because I very rarely notice them because I am exercising....I don't often run where other people are, nor do I go to a gym frequently...I do not look at others and judge as I exercise...period, even if there are others there...

PS I don't find exercise boring so it keeps me entertained and thinking about the next leg of my run keeps me interested.

ETA: it's not place to judge anyone...and if I do happen to notice someone on the trail it's not a very long "notice" more of a pacing glance..

Wonderful, you don't notice anybody or anything. Great. Lots of people do though. There is hardly anything unusual about that and certainly nothing wrong with it.

My run doesn't require much thought. If I am doing sprints, the 20 or 30 seconds I am sprinting keep me focused so that I don't trip and fall. But the 2 minute recovery intervals give me plenty of time to look around and observe. And my long slow run even more so. Putting one foot in front of the other and repeating many times doesn't take 100% of my concentration so I look at other people. That and the music and thoughts about things going on in my life help pass the time. Thinking about the actual act of running does not do that for me.

Wow where did you get I don't notice anyone or anything? That's a pretty definitive statement about me coming from someone who doesn't know me...let me qualify it for you...I do not notice people when I am preoccupied with exercise...

and again did I say there was anything wrong with noticing people/things no even when exercising....not once...have at...notice all you want, have that inner dialogue about what you do and don't like about them...if it makes you happy. My OP said that person needed to spend more focus on their exercise and less on what they termed "fatties"

So again tell me...the next time someone asks about being judged/looked at when they go to the gym and everyone says...no you are not judged or looked at are you going to be there to let them know that yes you are there looking at them noticing them?????? 10:1 nope you won't be.

Anybody going to a gym, exercising outside, walking down the street, standing in line, riding the subway, basically doing absolutely anything at all in public....WILL be noticed and looked at by at least some of the people in proximity. And those that do notice them will have fleeting thoughts...positive or negative...and then immediately move on with their day. That's reality. It doesn't bother me that people have these thoughts about me, and nobody else should worry about it either.

K based on this you will be in the next thread where a person is scared to go to the gym due to people noticing them, thinking about them and/or being judgemental with a big fat resounding "yes...I am that person....I will notice you, think about what you are doing, wearing, how you look and if you are doing exercises correct in my opinion...so your fears are founded....*evil grin*"

IMO, people who tell everyone that nobody is watching are liars who should be ashamed of themselves. Yes, people are watching, yes, they're going to notice if someone does something that violated gym ettiquette or is dangerous. The correct answer is not "don't worry, nobody's watching," because that's bs and everyone knows it. The correct answer is, "yes, people will see you, who cares?"
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    As the "fat person at the gym" I feel like I should weigh in here.

The gym I go to is semi-personal training. 5-10ppl per class and coach tailors (and teaches you to tailor) exercises to you. I go to the 5:15am class. It's the badass clients and me.

It's embarrassing as all heck even though these guys are awesome sweet ppl, but it's a weird vibe I get. I feel like their big fluffy mascot that they don't want to get too attached to.

I don't really blame them. How many fluffy folks have they seen come and go? They can't just befriend everyone who walks in. But they do notice my shrinking body, and they do notice when I have poor form. And hey. If they see me struggle and think "if she can do that, I can do this" then I'm happy to be that inspiration to them.

What they don't do is insult me. Knowing this is just some dumb copycat makes me so much happier because while a friend can address me as "hey fat girl" some random guy cannot.

As for watching others, coach encourages me to do it. "Look at what C is doing. How can you tweak that exercise so you can do it"? It's actually quite helpful.

So I'm fine if you're looking at me, and I'm fine if you're judging what you are seeing, maybe you want to try it, maybe you want to help, just make sure the judgements stop there because you cannot know me by how I lift weights.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

Again, we are all noticed and looked at every time we step out in public and the gym is no different. That's why public is called "public" and not "private".
  • obpyum
    obpyum Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    obpyum wrote: »
    I am more likely to judge you for walking into a mcdonald's

Why do you give a crap about what strangers are eating? If they are thin and walk in McDonald's, are they absolved?

You've missed my point and just picked 10 words that rubbed you the wrong way. I was just reinforcing that the gym is a very positive environment and everyone should feel welcome and proud to be there. But as to McD's (which I even said I was eating as I posted) we should all be avoiding processed food as much as possible.. tall, short, thin or thick.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

People are watching. Posters may lie about that to try to encourage someone to exercise or to lift or whatever, but it's a lie. Now, there probably aren't very many people who are going to say or do anything to that tentative weightlifter so whether people are watching or not isn't really going to matter in the long run and worrying about it won't be helpful. But, yeah, it's a lie.

People gawk at me wherever I go, certainly more than the casual glances which would be more than enough to reveal that a fat person is on the track and provide enough info to write about that.

People who are afraid of the thoughts of others must have one hell of a rough life.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

and this is why I have my music on and earbuds... that would be distracting...

auditory distractions are hard to get past...visual eh...head down and away we go.

Trust me, he's loud enough that I hear him, from the other end of the room, with my ear buds in.

The day he got on the treadmill next to me? I had to leave or I was going to laugh.

Back when I was still doing my walks/runs at the gym there was a guy who would hoot and holler on the treadmill. Kind of like that Ickey Woods commercial. "Woo! Yeah baby! Wooo! Let's go now!" Drowned out my headphones, too. Then some woman came up to him and told him she appreciated his zest for life. :tongue:

• atypicalsmith
    Options
    The Cardio Room at my YMCA is conveniently located between the under 18 and men's dressing rooms and the pool and main workout area, and is directly across from the stairs and vending machines. Plus it is all glass. I like using the treadmills there because they will pause for up to ten minutes and are close to the bathroom. People gawk at us on the treadmills as though we were monkeys in a cage all the time. Sometimes they are just looking to see if there is anyone they know is in there; other times, just gawking. At first, I hated it and always used one of the back treadmills to be less seen. But now I don't care. I get to gawk at them too, but a lot less unobtrusively!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    The Cardio Room at my YMCA is conveniently located between the under 18 and men's dressing rooms and the pool and main workout area, and is directly across from the stairs and vending machines. Plus it is all glass. I like using the treadmills there because they will pause for up to ten minutes and are close to the bathroom. People gawk at us on the treadmills as though we were monkeys in a cage all the time. Sometimes they are just looking to see if there is anyone they know is in there; other times, just gawking. At first, I hated it and always used one of the back treadmills to be less seen. But now I don't care. I get to gawk at them too, but a lot less unobtrusively!

Yep, people-watching is a great way to distract yourself during cardio. One of the gyms I go to has a separate cardio room on the 2nd level that overlooks the outdoor pool. You can just watch people at the pool your entire workout.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I don't believe their intentions were good or they would have had a few words of encouragement and a quick natter as he passed, not make a full on FB post about it.

And how disrespectful to address it "To the fatty", why not to the person wearing xxxx today on the track at xx:xxPM.

That's really what it comes down to. That initial post wasn't made to inspire anyone. It was made so the poster could make sure as many people as possible saw them being "compassionate" and tell them how awesome they were for writing it.

This is basically how I take it. The reaction to these types of memes are fascinating, but my own offense at the OP and sentiments like it are pretty much that it has nothing to do with "the fatty" and everything to do with the person "doing a good deed" by being compassionate (really, patronizing) towards the fatty.
    Post like the OP make me feel like we're supposed to pat the OP on the back for his good deed, for his "compassion", for his charity. Like "Have you hugged a pathetic fatty today and made them feel better about themselves? I did! Go me!" Blech.
    It's got the same kind of disingenuous vibe as humble-bragging, where it pretends to be about something other than flattering yourself publicly.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

People are watching. Posters may lie about that to try to encourage someone to exercise or to lift or whatever, but it's a lie. Now, there probably aren't very many people who are going to say or do anything to that tentative weightlifter so whether people are watching or not isn't really going to matter in the long run and worrying about it won't be helpful. But, yeah, it's a lie.

People gawk at me wherever I go, certainly more than the casual glances which would be more than enough to reveal that a fat person is on the track and provide enough info to write about that.

People who are afraid of the thoughts of others must have one hell of a rough life.

I know the people who encourage us are well intentioned and telling little white lies, but the self delusion and pep talk I give myself actually helps a little. It's a little shocking, though, to read about the detail to which I'm subject to scrutiny at the gym. I guarantee you, tonight I be wondering if my bra appears to have been sufficiently engineered for it's duty.

• SezxyStef
    Options

I agree there are "some" who do watch others, mentally make notes of what they doing in their opinion..right and wrong, note the clothing, hair style, make-up, how much they are lifting, form (good or bad) in their opinion, and generally just watch others...

Some of those watchers aren't there to work out...some are...

Some of scared of being judged and found wanting...some don't care...

Some write FB posts/instagram/twitter posts about it...(we all saw the ball game one)

But not everyone watches and judges (good or bad) I don't have an issue either way...if it helps you get through your workout have at...but I think if you are busy paying attention to someone else are you paying enough attention to your workout...maybe...

I personally choose to not workout at a "public" gym...or run on a "public" track (unless I have to) which I don't very often and not because I am afraid of being judged...I couldn't give a rats behind to be frank...but when I do workout in public I don't watch others doing it...I just don't have that inclination nor the desire to detract from my workout or use it as a way of escaping my workout...I have my music for that. I am often concentrating on keeping my pace/catching my breath or pushing the weight or adding plates...get in get it done get out.

My point in my OP was this...the guy who wrote that "post" on FB needed to pay more attention to his workout and less to the other person/people...and not call them "fatties" and assume so much.

Not sure how this came to a "who is watching who" post...I mean really who cares if I watch or don't watch others...why argue that I do or chastize me for the lack of noticing others while I work out or insinuate I am oblivious to everything around me...I find it so funny that's what people picked up on not on the fact the title of the post was "to the fatty...."
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

I know the people who encourage us are well intentioned and telling little white lies, but the self delusion and pep talk I give myself actually helps a little. It's a little shocking, though, to read about the detail to which I'm subject to scrutiny at the gym. I guarantee you, tonight I be wondering if my bra appears to have been sufficiently engineered for it's duty.
    I'm not saying you'll be subject to scrutiny, though you might be. Chances are, some people will notice you, some won't, none of them will be obvious about it or post about you, and you'll go on about your workout and be a little more fit than you were yesterday. And the world will keep on spinning.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

You shouldn't worry about it. When you are waiting to meet a friend someplace public and you get their early, do you look at other people? How about when you are standing in a long line? Or sitting at a cafe by yourself and leisurely sipping a coffee? Do you ever randomly see a stranger and briefly think they are attractive? Or that you dislike that particular style of dress? This is no different.

If you are like most people, sometimes you notice others and sometimes you don't. And even when you do, most likely any thoughts you have, good or bad, are forgotten entirely a few seconds later. And nothing you think ever injures the other person in any way.

My advice, don't worry about what anybody is thinking. Even if they are thinking about you, it will almost certainly be a brief thought that is quickly forgotten. It could easily be something good, and not something negative. And even if it is negative, it can't hurt you. You are there for you, not for them.

• jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Yes
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    This is why I don't facebook.

^^ yes!!!