Hula-Hooping?

Options
Does anyone hula-hoop for exercise and have seen any progress? If so, how long a day do you hula-hoop? Do you listen to music or watch TV while doing it? I have one, but not sure how much cals. you burn while hula hooping.

Replies

• Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yes I do a little to specifically work my core, you can treat as more or less walking on the spot exercise wise. I do something like 10-30 mins per day always with music. Currently learning some tricks like lasso to waist and back.

Checkout hoopsmiles.com for tutorials :). Happy hooping!
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of hooping too. I do the WiiFit hooping at the moment. What kind of hoops do you all have?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
  • MegaLoveBird
    MegaLoveBird Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been hooping for a few years now (on/off) and I LOVE IT!!! I've done some research and the calorie burn is all over the map, the truest I've found is @7/cal/minute. That works out to @420/cal/hour. Which is a pretty good burn. I'm actually hooping while writing this. I hoop for fun and exercise. I used to do it for hours at a time, just getting lost in the music.

I'd like to start a 'Hula Hoop Challenge' if anyone is interested in joining me. Let me know. uh1mwhmhs8dv.jpg
  • srfedrigo
    srfedrigo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Hula hoops are great. On average they burn 7 calories a minute, more if you're moving the rest of your body!!
    I suggest using the lighter, but still sort of heavy, "dance" hula hoops. You can make these with HDPE tubing from Home Depot. Just get tube cutters and tape!
    Weighted hula hoops are very heavy and can damage your organs. Plus you can't move around as much so you really get a better work out using lighter hula hoops. They're still much heavier than kids hoops. And there are so many etsy shops that sell hoops.
    I teach hoop fitness to children. :) it's a fun way to exercise!
    Do any of you know of a hula hoop group on here?
    I'm new to this.
    Thanks!!
  • mhesselein
    mhesselein Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm a hooper! I've been hooping almost daily, even if only for a few minutes. I have a playlist on my phone that is specifically for hooping. I put in my earbuds, tuck my phone in my sports bra and have at. I take hooping breaks at work when my energy gets low; one or two songs and I'm good for another round of desk-chained drudgery. A hooping challenge would be fun!
  • srfedrigo
    srfedrigo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    1l6hy3nhhnu5.jpg
  • jmstaaf13
    jmstaaf13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am new to hooping, but I love it so far! I always hoop to music, especially EDM mixes on Youtube. I have also heard 7 calories/minute, and that is how I log my hooping on here.
  • MegaLoveBird
    Options
    srfedrigo wrote: »
    1l6hy3nhhnu5.jpg

That's a PERFECT challenge!!!! Love it!!! Day 10, done!!

• QueenQueeri
    QueenQueeri Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the replies! I currently have a kid hoop :( I plan on getting another kid hoop so I can at least do 2 at the same time. I would love to be interested on a hooping challenge on here. Where we could challenge eachother. Hopefully once I get my first paycheck I can actually get and buy a nice hoop.
    Happy Hooping!
  • QueenQueeri
    QueenQueeri Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been hooping for a few years now (on/off) and I LOVE IT!!! I've done some research and the calorie burn is all over the map, the truest I've found is @7/cal/minute. That works out to @420/cal/hour. Which is a pretty good burn. I'm actually hooping while writing this. I hoop for fun and exercise. I used to do it for hours at a time, just getting lost in the music.

I'd like to start a 'Hula Hoop Challenge' if anyone is interested in joining me. Let me know. uh1mwhmhs8dv.jpg

Just link me a thing to a hulahoop challenge :) I'd love to try.
  • MegaLoveBird
    Options
    I'd like to start a 'Hula Hoop Challenge' if anyone is interested in joining me. Let me know.
    [/quote]

Just link me a thing to a hulahoop challenge :) I'd love to try.[/quote]

@QueenQueeri I'm doing the challenge posted above for this month. I'll look into some new ones for the month of June. That will also give you some time to get a larger hoop.
  • samistarz
    samistarz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I Hula-hoop whilst watching the TV.
    I can do it without stopping for 60mins and then I stop but it's usually because i'm bored rather than because I'm tired...

A good work-out once it get's too easy is to try hula-hooping in the opposite direction!! It feels weird!
  • MegaLoveBird
    Options
    @samistarz I know what you mean! I typically hoop right to left, when I reverse it definitely feels weird! Before I had my daughter I used to go out to empty parking lots or my old front lawn and hoop for HOURS, no joke!! It's harder to find that kind of time now.
  • ktrchmnd
    ktrchmnd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love hooping! Make sure to mix up your hooping routines otherwise the calorie burn slows down. Lots of good hooping tutorials on YouTube and do everything on both sides. Off the body stuff is fun too and can tone arms.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I hoop to music, often to hooping goddess Grace Jones! :p When I started I thought if an older lady can hoop to 'slave to the rhythm' there was no excuse!! I can do about 30mins straight and starting to learn some tricks.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Hoop with a 5' in diameter hoop, weighted with a 1/2 cup of water; and wrapped with colorful duct tape. Make it by using 5' length of 3/4" sprinkler tubing and with a connecter - also found in plant department of Lowe's, Home Depot, or hardware store. Most grown-ups cannot hold up a child's hula hoop - too light. Expect a few bruises around waist for a couple of days. Best exercise ever. I can only hoop going right to left although I do try doing the opposite - can't hold it up as long left to right. Small hoops for arms help, too. Do it by music or just counting rotations.
  • MaryKayMariela
    MaryKayMariela Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Soooo late to this but, yay for a hula-hoop challenge! Did it start?
  • lilacmeddow
    lilacmeddow Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just found this thread. I hoop too. I had no idea what to log it as to I just don't bother logging it. But I have 3 different hoops. one of them is a kids hoop that was purchased at wal-mart or whatever. It's ok but it has water in it and when you are trying to learn tricks that becomes very frustrating as the water is always throwing the equilibrium off for me. I ended up buying a Moodhoop which I'm in love with and also another day hoop from a really nice girl on Etsy (store Sacred Spiralz) who matched the colors to a picture of a t-shirt that I own. I hoop to music most of the time. Love Above & Beyond's podcast or Bassnectar.... really any EDM is great and gives you something high tempo to dance along to!