Am I getting enough calories?

Options
Rafa595
Rafa595 Posts: 13 Member
Hi guys! As I explained in another post, I have hit a weight plateau so many people here suggested logging more accurately and increasing the intensity of my workout. However, I am wondering whether this plateau is caused by too low calories instead of too many. I'm 1.68m, weigh 69,5kg (lost 2,5), this is my 5th week of diet, I run 3 times a week around 6-8klms and I also cycle around 15klms once or twice.
I also added whey protein in my diet (replaced one meal with it) and I drink 2lt water everyday.
My macros now are set at 38%carbs, 32%protein and 30%fat and my calories are between 1200 and 1500 (depending if I workout).
I'd love to hear your suggestions on this matter as I'm gettin frustrated.... Thank u!

Replies

• 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Well there is a minimum calorie limit in this program. If you don't eat enough cals it says your not eating enough when you log in all your meals. I and probably everybody has the same problem. The body adapts to exercise and it does not want to give up its saving account of fat. You can change your exercise program do stairs or something different to challenge your body. I have found it seems to go in spurts. I lose 3 or 4 pounds then stop, then all of a sudden I lose 3 or 4 pounds then stop again.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    460mustang wrote: »
    Well there is a minimum calorie limit in this program. If you don't eat enough cals it says your not eating enough when you log in all your meals. I and probably everybody has the same problem. The body adapts to exercise and it does not want to give up its saving account of fat. You can change your exercise program do stairs or something different to challenge your body. I have found it seems to go in spurts. I lose 3 or 4 pounds then stop, then all of a sudden I lose 3 or 4 pounds then stop again.

No

OP, if you're in a plateau (which is a minimum of four weeks with no loss, so it doesn't sound like you are), you're eating too much and you should log accurately.
  • 460mustang
    edited May 2015
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

No

OP, if you're in a plateau (which is a minimum of four weeks with no loss, so it doesn't sound like you are), you're eating too much and you should log accurately.

So, what in your opinion is no, please explain?
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yeah, I am going to echo the above (malibu927). Eating more does not make you lose more, that is impossible. Sorry if we are not telling you what you want to hear, but the only thing that could be happening is that you are taking in too many calories.

I was similarly indignant 5 weeks ago (and more than a little sorry for myself) - I was sure I was logging everything and eating the right things, but I was not using a digital scale and I was eyeballing some things like veggies and fruit. I was way off and that is why I did not lose on my first two weeks on MFP. Since fixing my logging issues I shed weight every week.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Rafa595 wrote: »
    Hi guys! As I explained in another post, I have hit a weight plateau so many people here suggested logging more accurately and increasing the intensity of my workout. However, I am wondering whether this plateau is caused by too low calories instead of too many. I'm 1.68m, weigh 69,5kg (lost 2,5), this is my 5th week of diet, I run 3 times a week around 6-8klms and I also cycle around 15klms once or twice.
    I also added whey protein in my diet (replaced one meal with it) and I drink 2lt water everyday.
    My macros now are set at 38%carbs, 32%protein and 30%fat and my calories are between 1200 and 1500 (depending if I workout).
    I'd love to hear your suggestions on this matter as I'm gettin frustrated.... Thank u!

I'm 10lbs heavier than you are and about 1.5 inches taller; I'm eating 1700 calories per day to lose an lb per week. I have a hunch you could be eating more. What do you have your MFP settings at (aka how many lbs are you looking to lose per week)?

Also, if the exercise is new and just started around 5 weeks ago when your diet did, you could likely be losing weight but not seeing it on the scale due to the water weight you're putting on from exercising; you body can hold it for 4-6 weeks with new or more intense exercise than you're used to.
  • malibu927
    Options

No

That the body adapts to exercise and stores the fat. The only time it stores fat is if you're in a calorie surplus.
  • Rafa595
    Options

No

As I stated above I log accurately and I don't like being questioned like this, accusing me of eating too much. Also, if you search online and in this forum you will find many examples of people not eating enough.
  • Rafa595
    Options

I'm 10lbs heavier than you are and about 1.5 inches taller; I'm eating 1700 calories per day to lose an lb per week. I have a hunch you could be eating more. What do you have your MFP settings at (aka how many lbs are you looking to lose per week)?

Also, if the exercise is new and just started around 5 weeks ago when your diet did, you could likely be losing weight but not seeing it on the scale due to the water weight you're putting on from exercising; you body can hold it for 4-6 weeks with new or more intense exercise than you're used to.

I'm trying to lose 800gr per week, I lost th first 2,5 quite easy but as I explained, I'm stuck there.

The reason I'm wondering about this is that as a runner sometimes I feel exhausted and I've noticed that I got slower these past weeks.
  • malibu927
    Options

No

As I stated above I log accurately and I don't like being questioned like this, accusing me of eating too much. Also, if you search online and in this forum you will find many examples of people not eating enough.

If you're talking about starvation mode, then you will also find numerous posts where that is debunked. If you eat too little, you will still lose.

Weight loss is not linear. If you've cleaned up your logging and increased activity, then it probably is water weight from the latter. But what I was saying was it wasn't long enough to be a plateau.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options

I'm trying to lose 800gr per week, I lost th first 2,5 quite easy but as I explained, I'm stuck there.

The reason I'm wondering about this is that as a runner sometimes I feel exhausted and I've noticed that I got slower these past weeks.

If you're not feeling properly fueled for an activity you're used to doing, you likely should eat more (or even eat something small prior to your run to see if that helps). You don't even necessarily need to make a big increase, you could try just giving yourself an extra 100 calories on the day prior to your workout and see if that makes a difference.
  • benchsquad65
    benchsquad65 Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Since you're alive and able to type, I'm assuming you get enough. Human beings have never been able to get the same amount of calories everyday throughout our history, and I know a fair amount of people who are poor and would be lucky to eat that much. So, the fact that you're even able to worry about it means you're kind of privelaged.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    *sigh* Not this again.

Calorie deficit=weight loss
    Calorie surplus=weight gain
    Calorie balance=plateau

You COULD still be losing, but water weight gain is masking the fat loss, especially if it has only been a week or 2, so you may just need to be patient.
    But eating more calories NEVER helps you lose weight. That's just not how it works
    Please, can we just forget that myth, now, forever, and always?
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

Since you're alive and able to type, I'm assuming you get enough. Human beings have never been able to get the same amount of calories everyday throughout our history, and I know a fair amount of people who are poor and would be lucky to eat that much. So, the fact that you're even able to worry about it means you're kind of privelaged.

You like to tell a lot of people they are privileged, don't you?
    You posted that from your own computer, didn't you?
    I'm betting you are just as privileged as the people you are accusing.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    as a rule of thumb ..

if you have a calorie deficit ... you lose
    if you have a calorie surplus... you gain

There is no such thing as starvation mode. No people in the 3rd world who stay fat when they don't get enough to eat.

At a guess, you are logging inaccurately ( burns or food intake ) but as it hasn't been too long, I wouldn't worry , your body could be holding water to repair muscles you have only recently started losing

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

No - if you are moving mass you are using energy.
  • 460mustang
    Options

No

That the body adapts to exercise and stores the fat. The only time it stores fat is if you're in a calorie surplus.
    When you start out exercising you can't do much before you are tired or exhausted. Over time, if you continue that exercise it will become easier and you will be able to do it longer and you will lose weight. If you continue doing the same exercise the same length of time, your body has adapted and you probably will stop losing weight at some point. It happened to me. So now I rotate different exercises

When I was going to the gym years ago, the personal trainer said the body wants to keep the some of the fat it has and will even burn muscle instead. This maybe false, I don't know. I do know from my personal experience that no matter how many ab crunches, cardio, bench press, squats I did I could never quite get rid of the roll around my abdomen. Maybe with a super strict diet. Some of the other guys had the same problem. At that time I was down to 14% body fat. I finally gave up on the abs and started a routine to bulk up.

I maybe too sensitive, but when you quote someone and shoot them down you need to explain it a little better. We are here for encouragement, not discouragement. We are all here to reach a goal. I personally like to read all opinions then filter them for out myself. When you shoot them down they may not post anymore and we lose.
  • Rafa595
    Options
    Update:

I am screaming right now cause my weight finally dropped!!!! I went from 69,5 to 68,9 so I guess I was doing something right after all (and I wasn't overeating!!!)

So excited!!!!!
  • 460mustang
    Options
    Update:

I am screaming right now cause my weight finally dropped!!!! I went from 69,5 to 68,9 so I guess I was doing something right after all (and I wasn't overeating!!!)

So excited!!!!!

Good for you. Keep up the good work, don't get discouraged. Try different things
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options

I maybe too sensitive, but when you quote someone and shoot them down you need to explain it a little better. We are here for encouragement, not discouragement. We are all here to reach a goal. I personally like to read all opinions then filter them for out myself. When you shoot them down they may not post anymore and we lose.
    [/quote]

Me too. I like to look at the options and different opinions. We all learn from each other. :)
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I don't know how to use the 'QUOTE' option? lol