Diabetic and miss dessert. Share recipes.

Options
Ealgiere
Ealgiere Posts: 10 Member
I'm recently diagnosed type II. While I always knew I needed to cut down on sugar, now I have no choice and I'm really serious about it. But I would like to enjoy dessert occasionally with my husband and not blow everything. If you have a great recipe that will fit into a diabetic lifestyle will you please share? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Mermaid_s
    Mermaid_s Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Try making Ice cream out of frozen bananas! its delicious
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi! I'm a type 1 diabetic who is also watching her carbs. I found that mug cakes still give me that bit of sweetness I want (and there's no risk of me eating an entire cake), but they're easy to modify so that they don't spike my BG as badly. Typically, I like to replace the white flour for whole wheat flour, sugar for Splenda, and try to add some fat or protein to the cake (such as peanut butter or sugar free chocolate) to slow down the digestion.

This is one of my favorite recipes. It originally was a recipe for a microwave chocolate chip cookie, but adding a bit of baking powder to it gave it a nice cake-like consistency: http://eugeniekitchen.com/microwave-chocolate-chip-cooki/

I ended up modifying the recipe a bit and turned it into a peanut butter mug cake. For one cake, it was about 230 calories and 22g net carbs:
    - 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
    - Pinch of salt
    - 0.5 tbsp melted butter (I like to use a light butter)
    - 1 tbsp peanut butter
    - 2 tbsp milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
    - 1 1/2 tsp Splenda brown sugar blend
    - 1/4 tsp baking powder
    -3 tbsp whole wheat flour
  • Ealgiere
    Options
    Wow. That looks excellent and fast and easy. Perfect! And I like the wheat flour idea. I have really cut back on the white flour. Thank you so much! I will definitely be making this. So does this go in a mug in the microwave? For how long?
  • Ealgiere
    Options
    Mermaid_s, I have heard of that but never tried it. That's a good idea too. I'll try it.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Heavy whipping cream with sugar free jello. I like making chocolate mouse this way.
    It's not low cal but there's no added sugar. There are 13g of carbs per serving in the jello.

Arctic zero makes a low glycemic ice-cream. It's a little pricey but it shouldn't spike your blood sugar.

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Ealgiere wrote: »
    Wow. That looks excellent and fast and easy. Perfect! And I like the wheat flour idea. I have really cut back on the white flour. Thank you so much! I will definitely be making this. So does this go in a mug in the microwave? For how long?

It all goes into a microwave-safe mug for about a minute.
  • jbayley5239
    jbayley5239 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you like mousse you can use coconut milk instead of heavy cream and whip it until fluffy. Add unsweetened cocoa powder for chocolate, vanilla extract (or any) for a different flavor. If you need it a little sweeter use Agave Nectar
  • pvosberg51
    pvosberg51 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I, too recently diagnosed as Type ll diabetic, My sister show me this site and its been great for the carb counting,
    I would like to know what temp to do the cheese crisps,,,,, they sound great
  • rayleenhall
    rayleenhall Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sugar free pudding mix. The kind you cook.
    Use the non sweetened almond, coconut or cashew milk instead of non fat milk. Reserve 1/4 cup "milk" and add 2tbsp (give or take) of cornstarch to milk. When the other milk and pudding mix comes to a boil take off heat and add "milk" cornstarch mixture. Bring back to a boil until it thickens. Low cal /low carb/low fat. Good protein.
    It has to be the kind you cook because the instant will never set up using almond or cashew milk.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Grilled or baked fruit with a bit of whipped cream. Peaches, plums, pineapples are all good.
  • Ealgiere
    Options
    Thanks. Those are all good ideas.
  • Ealgiere
    Options
    Use the non sweetened almond, coconut or cashew milk instead of non fat milk. Reserve 1/4 cup "milk" and add 2tbsp (give or take) of cornstarch to milk. When the other milk and pudding mix comes to a boil take off heat and add "milk" cornstarch mixture. Bring back to a boil until it thickens. Low cal /low carb/low fat. Good protein.
    It has to be the kind you cook because the instant will never set up using almond or cashew milk.

I just tried this in a pie. I used some amaranth milk that i made myself this past weekend. I haven't tried it yet but it sure looks good. Thank you rayleenhall
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I'm recently diagnosed type II. While I always knew I needed to cut down on sugar, now I have no choice and I'm really serious about it. But I would like to enjoy dessert occasionally with my husband and not blow everything. If you have a great recipe that will fit into a diabetic lifestyle will you please share? Thanks in advance.

What does your doctor say about your total carbs? When I want a dessert, I cut down on other carbs for the day so I have enough left over to spend on that slice of cake or whatever.

Having said that, I LOVE 1/2 c. 0% fat Greek yogurt, 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, and 100 g. fresh unsweetened strawberries as a dessert. It is like a chocolate mousse with berries and very yummy! 20 g carbs and 42 g protein.

• mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options

I just tried this in a pie. I used some amaranth milk that i made myself this past weekend. I haven't tried it yet but it sure looks good. Thank you rayleenhall

I'd be very interested to hear how this turns out, since I'm lactose intolerant.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @Ealgiere , best of success as you learn this new way of eating, which is very healthy by the way. I echo @earlnabby 's advice to review your diet in it's entirety. It's balancing all the macros at every meal, eating on time and on schedule, that can really improve your blood sugars overall. Then a cookie after dinner is no big deal. I find fruit to be great sweets because the fiber slows down the digestion and barely affects my blood sugar levels. Double win if I sneak some protein in there. So my win-win treat is a microwave baked apple, cored, with some walnuts and cinnamon. There is some half-sugar brown sugar you might try with it, and a dollop of greek yogurt.

• conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    also learn which sweets spike you. I cannot eat ice cream, but I tolerate Lugi;s Itialian ice.They make a suger free version.It is hard to eat fast cause you get brain freeze for 60 cal it is delicious. Also experiment with brownie mix using beets or apple sauce. delicious
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 1, so I'm always looking for low-carb snacks/desserts that don't necessitate taking insulin. It's probably a diabetic cliche - but one of my go-to dessert snacks is sugar-free jello with a little low cal whipped cream. It is usually enough to satisfy a craving, and it doesn't spike my blood sugar enough for me to need insulin. This obviously isn't a recipe, but it helps to have a quick grab snack that I can get before I decide I want something else. :smile:

And I agree with posters who said to test how different foods affect your blood sugar. I agree with other MFP users who say "sugar is sugar" or "a carb is a carb" - unless you are diabetic. Because I can eat a slice of cake and predict exactly how much my blood sugar will spike over a three hour time period. But a slice of pizza? It's like my body is trying to reject a virus or something the way my readings go all over the place. Test your blood sugar often with different foods to see what your body does.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Coconut cream whipped with berries (put the cream in the fridge ahead of time so it whips up fluffy)
    These peppermint patties are amazing!: http://www.wortheverychew.com/?p=1475
    SO Delicious makes a no sugar added coconut ice cream that I eat sometimes
    Home made popsicles. The mold enforces a "serving size" and you can make it with simply fruit puree or add whatever. I really like a lemon cheesecake one. I forget where I found the recipe, but it's awesome:
    2 bananas
    1/3 cup soaked raw cashews
    1 lemon juiced and then also use the zest
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    I also really like cantaloupe kiwi popsicles. Just blend cantaloupe and kiwi to taste and freeze.

I'm totally experimenting with popsicles this summer! :)
  • JennyJ2015
    JennyJ2015 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    yogurt !! if its available to you look for 100 cal whipped greek yogurt by either dannon or yoplait vanilla cupcake its so good and they even have another one called coconut macaroon great tasting treat without actually eating something that is unhealthy for you !
  • Ealgiere
    Options

I'd be very interested to hear how this turns out, since I'm lactose intolerant.

Was delicious. I made oat milk the other day. I'm getting ready to make another one with vanilla sugar free pudding.