Portion Size by the Handful

Options

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    This seems like just another way for you to negate food scales. I get that for you they don't work, but using every chance you can to express how much you dislike them gets old after a while.

It's pretty funny, isn't it?

I don't see myself scooping up a palmful of cottage cheese any time soon.

That's another one that does seem to quite fit. I can see taking a slice of cheese and saying, "yeah, that's close to the size of my thumb," but I don't see limiting myself to three thumbs worth of cottage cheese.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Some people suggest using your hands to judge portion size. (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/17/health-food-portion-control/2091865/)
    Protein: palm of hand, without fingers and thumb
    Starchy Carbs (potatoes, rice, pasta): fist
    Fruit: rounded handful
    Vegetables: two hand portion size
    Fats (oils, mayonnaise, peanut butter): tip of thumb
    Cheese: full thumb
    Juice: cup should be about as high as the distance from thumb to forefinger
    Because the size of the hand is relative to the body size, people who need more calories get more calories.

Have you found this method of portion control to be useful and how has it compared to other methods you have used?

Also, do you see a significant difference in the size of a fist and the size of a rounded handful?

This is so flawed it's not even funny. Hands along with eyeballs can be very deceiving.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This seems like just another way for you to negate food scales. I get that for you they don't work, but using every chance you can to express how much you dislike them gets old after a while.

three thumbs worth of cottage cheese.

Is that anything along the lines of 3 fingers of scotch?

If so...I'm in.

Otherwise...zzzzzz...another day, another ridiculous thread by the OP.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    The whole "hand portion" concept came out of public health agencies trying to find a easily related way to communicate some idea of portion control. They needed a method that didn't include equipment such as a kitchen scale, since their audience is likely not to have it. If you're talking to someone who has not even a beginning concept of food mass, or even volumetric measuring, the hand is probably the only benchmark you can use.

Many of the MFP users would want to progress beyond a very ham-handed (pun intended) method of measuring. Volumetric measurements are an improvement, but still inexact for very calorie dense foods like starches. With kitchen scales being very cheap (~$20 for a halfway decent one), it's a very small investment that pays big dividends for people who really want to get a handle on their intake.

Bottom line, if the hand method is working for you, that's fine. If you find yourself in the "I'm logging everything but I'm not losing" crowd, the best step you can take is to get more exact with your measurements and minimize the error.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Scale at home, but I'll use the hand portion method when out and about so that I can keep up logging without becoming a neurotic shut-in. I make it a point to round up and be honest with myself about it, though.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't mean this in an insulting way, but-- I feel like this would be a good system for kids, to help them understand what a good portion size or meat or veggies is. Their hands are growing with them, so they would always have a decent approximation of what a serving is, and it's simple.

Many adults need to be more precise, particularly us short ladies who only have 1600-1700 maintenance. Not a lot lot of 'I have particularly large/small hands for my size' wiggle room there.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I don't mean this in an insulting way, but-- I feel like this would be a good system for kids, to help them understand what a good portion size or meat or veggies is. Their hands are growing with them, so they would always have a decent approximation of what a serving is, and it's simple.

Many adults need to be more precise, particularly us short ladies who only have 1600-1700 maintenance. Not a lot lot of 'I have particularly large/small hands for my size' wiggle room there.

Gosh, I don't know. Kids probably need a lot more food than the size of their hand. Especially preteen and teen boys. In my experience, their head might be closer to portion size than their hand. :p
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Nooooo!
    I'm a tallish lady, 5'8" but I have giant man-hands. Most of it is finger, but yeah my hands are WAY bigger than the hands of many of my male friends.
    It's just better that I don't use this at all!
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    But how would you log food measured in this way? Or is the point to measure this way and you wouldn't have to log?

I have to weigh because, as my father always told me, my eyes are bigger than my belly.
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Sort of off topic, but sort of on topic - I always wanted to portion out a day's meals according to the food guide pyramid serving suggestions to see what the caloric total would be for my choices...
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

Palmfuls of cottage cheese. Washing and reusing red cups. Swimwear as underwear. Frisbees as plates. Ah, to be 23 again.

On-topic: my hands are too small for this. My fingers are longer than my palms. Strangers have commented on my weird hands. I think this method could work quite well for someone else, but I'll stick to weighing.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options

I see what @Need2Exerc1se is saying, but I wouldn't completely dismiss this as a way to at least give an example of portion sizes to kids. Perhaps because of the size difference in hands it would be better to use the other method: protein should be the size of a deck of cards, cheese the size of one dice, etc. Some people grow up never knowing what an actual portion size is.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Some people suggest using your hands to judge portion size. (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/17/health-food-portion-control/2091865/)
    Protein: palm of hand, without fingers and thumb
    Starchy Carbs (potatoes, rice, pasta): fist
    Fruit: rounded handful
    Vegetables: two hand portion size
    Fats (oils, mayonnaise, peanut butter): tip of thumb
    Cheese: full thumb
    Juice: cup should be about as high as the distance from thumb to forefinger
    Because the size of the hand is relative to the body size, people who need more calories get more calories.

Have you found this method of portion control to be useful and how has it compared to other methods you have used?

Also, do you see a significant difference in the size of a fist and the size of a rounded handful?

I don't have time to read. So the article is saying put the food in your hand then put your hand on the scale?

But how do you tare you hand?
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    My very first job was in a mail room where my job was to weigh packages on the postage scale and put the correct amount of postage on them. After just two or three days of doing this repetitively, and with a few minor exceptions, I knew the weight. It was a temporary job and one of the secretaries reported me for not using the postage scale. The boss was nice and advised that I use the scale. I said that I could tell how much everything weighed. He gave me a chance and tested me, handing me different size and weight packages and I would tell him both the weight and the amount of postage, then weigh them and calculate the postage manually. This went on for about five minutes and he was amazed, because except for the ones that I said, "I would have to weigh that", I got every single one right.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    My very first job was in a mail room where my job was to weigh packages on the postage scale and put the correct amount of postage on them. After just two or three days of doing this repetitively, and with a few minor exceptions, I knew the weight. It was a temporary job and one of the secretaries reported me for not using the postage scale. The boss was nice and advised that I use the scale. I said that I could tell how much everything weighed. He gave me a chance and tested me, handing me different size and weight packages and I would tell him both the weight and the amount of postage, then weigh them and calculate the postage manually. This went on for about five minutes and he was amazed, because except for the ones that I said, "I would have to weigh that", I got every single one right.

That is the reason I feel that can be the same for weighing foods. One day you will be able to tell a serving size.

• atypicalsmith
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

That is the reason I feel that can be the same for weighing foods. One day you will be able to tell a serving size.

I wouldn't recommend it for cottage cheese or yogurt, though :smile:
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    cheese the size of one dice, etc. Some people grow up never knowing what an actual portion size is.

A one-dice-sized portion of cheese isn't a portion, it's a penance :)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    cheese the size of one dice, etc. Some people grow up never knowing what an actual portion size is.

Agreed! Pathetic! I don't think I've ever only eaten a "dice" / "die" size portion of cheese. Was just using that as an example, really.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Agreed! Pathetic! I don't think I've ever only eaten a "dice" / "die" size portion of cheese. Was just using that as an example, really.

One dice would two dies, right? ;)