I made my own Smoothie recipe, but is it any good?

Options
Okay, so I've kinda been tweaking my smoothie recipe to be in that nirvana range of edible and healthy.. I really like how it tastes now, but I'm a little worried about the carbs and calories. Is this too high for a breakfast smoothie? I'm a female try to lose weight.

1 medium banana
3/4 cup homemade frozen mixed berries(blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries)
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup coconut water
.75 serving Hemp Pro 50 powder
2 tbsp flax seed
1 tbsp Goji berries
1 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate
1 packet instant coffee (zero calories, zero health but I need my caffeine boost!)

I know it sounds like a lot but I premix the powder with the milk and coconut water every night so in the morning I just add my banana and my berries. Overall my smoothie nutritional info is...

Amount Per Serving
calories 464

Total Fat 10 g 15 %
Saturated Fat 1 g 4 %
Monounsaturated Fat 2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 5 mg 2 %
Sodium 179 mg 7 %
Potassium 904 mg 26 %
Total Carbohydrate 75 g 25 %
Dietary Fiber 20 g 78 %
Sugars 26 g
Protein 29 g 57 %
Vitamin A 107 %
Vitamin C 115 %
Calcium 45 %
Iron 68 %

What do you all think? I'm a pescatarian, and because of mercury I really have to watch how much fish I eat. Protein and iron are really important to me. I get iron deficient really easily.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your calorie and nutrition goals for the day and you feel good drinking it, then great. If it doesn't or if it leaves you feeling hungry, then consider adjusting it.
  • sarahstaley2
    sarahstaley2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your calorie and nutrition goals for the day and you feel good drinking it, then great. If it doesn't or if it leaves you feeling hungry, then consider adjusting it.

It does, and I do. But someone told me you shouldn't eat carbs(or many of them anyways) in the morning. I was a little curious. And I don't know if that's like a good breakfast.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    How many servings are in that, just out of curiosity?

IMO, 74g of carbs is alot. To put it into perspective, my (just a little over) 2 servings of froot loops was 54g carbs this morning. Granted, it's alot less protein, but my breakfast was only 257 calories (cereal, almond milk).

For me, personally, I wouldn't go as high as 460 calories for breakfast, unless I was doing something special or eating out. Generally it's no more than 350 calories. I like to save my calories for lunch/dinner/snacks.

But if you like it and it fits into your calorie goal, then keep it.
  • sarahstaley2
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Taste it? Beyond that, I'd argue your recipe has no moral value associated with it. It's neither good nor bad.

I didn't ask it's moral value. I'm asking if it has reasonable ingredients and nutritional values for what I want to do. Sorry if I confused you.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options

It does, and I do. But someone told me you shouldn't eat carbs(or many of them anyways) in the morning. I was a little curious. And I don't know if that's like a good breakfast.

I never heard of that. If anything, I eat more carbs in the morning than at night, because it gives you energy throughout the day! At night, I stick to protein and vegetables. I say perhaps you don't need 2 tablespoons of Flax...1 should suffice and perhaps use half a banana, to cut down on calories a bit? It would probably save you 100 calories and still be quite filling. :)
  • sarahstaley2
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

IMO, 74g of carbs is alot. To put it into perspective, my (just a little over) 2 servings of froot loops was 54g carbs this morning. Granted, it's alot less protein, but my breakfast was only 257 calories (cereal, almond milk).

For me, personally, I wouldn't go as high as 460 calories for breakfast, unless I was doing something special or eating out. Generally it's no more than 350 calories. I like to save my calories for lunch/dinner/snacks.

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking. I might cut down on the berries, which contributes a lot of the sugar and carbs. I think I'll keep my banana though haha. I've thought about switching the milk to almond milk as well, but I don't want to lose the protein. And I've never had almond milk. What is the taste and protein in almond milk if you don't mind me asking?

• KristenMarie1181
    KristenMarie1181 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Me I think it is way to many calories. Then you are gonna wonder how many more calories to eat in every meal coming up..
  • sarahstaley2
    Options
    nm212 wrote: »

I never heard of that. If anything, I eat more carbs in the morning than at night, because it gives you energy throughout the day! At night, I stick to protein and vegetables. I say perhaps you don't need 2 tablespoons of Flax...1 should suffice and perhaps use half a banana, to cut down on calories a bit? It would probably save you 100 calories and still be quite filling. :)

See, I thought it was bologna, but I never know. That's what I do! Fish and veggies at night. I feel better now. Okay that's what I'll do. I wasn't really sure on the flax seed, so I just followed the serving size. I think I'll keep my banana but as I was telling Ninkyou, I'm gonna cut back the berries a bit.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Most of that will be personal preference. I try for more protein and fat in the mornings because it keeps me fuller through the day and because I struggle to get enough protein if I don't have it with breakfast. If this smoothie works for you, then it's fine.

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

I'm gonna agree that 76g of carbs is kind of on the high end, but I guess it depends on your nutritional goals, yeah?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    For me, it sounds like too many calories for something I'm just going to drink. But if it fits into your calorie/macro goals, then go for it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, it really depends how it fits into the rest of your day. For me, 460 cals and 75 carbs would be way too much to drink in a day, and way more than I like to spend on breakfast, that's almost a third of my daily calories. I try to put more veggies than fruit in my smoothies to limit the calorie hit, but my needs are going to be different since I am not a vegetarian, and I'm not using veggie protein powders.
  • sarahstaley2
    Options
    For me, it sounds like too many calories for something I'm just going to drink. But if it fits into your calorie/macro goals, then go for it.

I wake up at 7:00 and it's the only thing I really consume until around 11:30, because I have class. And it honestly fills me up for a while. But I'm gonna cut back calories here and there.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

See, I thought it was bologna, but I never know. That's what I do! Fish and veggies at night. I feel better now. Okay that's what I'll do. I wasn't really sure on the flax seed, so I just followed the serving size. I think I'll keep my banana but as I was telling Ninkyou, I'm gonna cut back the berries a bit.

haha yeah! Also, Unsweetened Almond Milk is delicious and very low calorie...like 30-40 cal. per cup! They also have Vanilla flavored which is yum! I highly recommend!

P.S. 20 grams of Fiber is QUITE alot! You can definitely, cut down on the Flax or the amount of Berries ;)
  • sarahstaley2
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, it really depends how it fits into the rest of your day. For me, 460 cals and 75 carbs would be way too much to drink in a day, and way more than I like to spend on breakfast, that's almost a third of my daily calories. I try to put more veggies than fruit in my smoothies to limit the calorie hit, but my needs are going to be different since I am not a vegetarian, and I'm not using veggie protein powders.

I think that's my biggest struggle sadly. It's tough trying to lose weight, get enough protein, and be pretty much only on vegetables.
  • sarahstaley2
    Options

haha yeah! Also, Unsweetened Almond Milk is delicious and very low calorie...like 30-40 cal. per cup! They also have Vanilla flavored which is yum! I highly recommend!

I'll give it a try. Vanilla sounds AWESOME.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking. I might cut down on the berries, which contributes a lot of the sugar and carbs. I think I'll keep my banana though haha. I've thought about switching the milk to almond milk as well, but I don't want to lose the protein. And I've never had almond milk. What is the taste and protein in almond milk if you don't mind me asking?
    It's good. It's only a slight bit of a nutty flavor. Hard to describe. I had never had Almond Milk before joining MFP. To be honest, I don't eat nuts. I don't like them. Never have, never will. So obviously I was quite hesitant to try it. But I'm glad I did, because I love it. Sometimes I can't even tell the difference.

240 ML of Unsweetened Original Almond milk is 30 calories, 1g protein, less than 1g Carbs. So you're not getting alot of protein, but you're not swimming in a ton of calories. You could always use the Almond Milk for your liquid base and then add a protein powder to bump up the protein/calories too.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I bet if you let your banana go really, really REALLY dead (as in black & melty), then froze it, you could get away with using 1/2 of it & still get the same taste (saving some of the carbs, if that's your concern). Try 1/2 c mixed berries instead of a 3/4 cup. And maybe even switch the milk for Fage 0% greek yogurt (saves on more carbs, adds even more protein.) Coconut water? What are you gaining there (besides potassium?). Switch to ice cubes & blend the crap out of it...will give you the cold/bulk.

If tweaking is what you're looking for, that's what I'd do. Your ticker says 67lbs, it takes time to adjust your diet/calories for YOU and the lifestyle you keep.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    It’s entirely up to you, but one thing I can say is that I’d use less fruit and add some avocado for the extra fat.