What is the best fitness tracker?

Options
hey guys so I'm really thinking about buying a fitness tracker (Fitbit/jawbone etc). I'm not too concerned with expense but I want to get something worth my money.

What (in your opinion) is the best fitness tracker out there?? I don't want to just read online reviews because sometimes those are just promos!

Thank you!!!

-A

Replies

• mckat08
    mckat08 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just started using the FitBit Charge HR and I love it!! You are able to sync it with MFP and get a really accurate calorie burn. I no longer have to enter my exercise into MFP, it loads automatically. The ChargeHR was $149 at Sports Authority (Oregon). It is "moisture" proof, but not water proof. If you are a swimmer, I would suggest spending the extra $100 to get the FitBit Surge. I am also a big fan of the app that loads onto your computer or mobile device during initial setup. All of your meals entered into MFP sync back to their app. One of the biggest complaints I read online about the Fitbit is that the band would come undone and it would easily fall off. The new Charge HR has a band much like a watch, so there is no chance of it falling off. I hope this is helpful. B)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    @acros812
    What activities do you do? What data do you want to track?

Most of the replies you'll get here will follow the "I have a (insert device here) and love it" without even bothering to ask what you are really looking for. See @mckat08 's reply as an example.

DC Rainmaker (dcrainmaker.com) does tests of the various devices then lists the pros and cons ... to include the often inaccurate HR data during exercise from wrist mounted HR trackers like the Charge and Surge ... a trend also noted by CNET in their reviews.
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    mckat08 wrote: »
    I just started using the FitBit Charge HR and I love it!! You are able to sync it with MFP and get a really accurate calorie burn. I no longer have to enter my exercise into MFP, it loads automatically. The ChargeHR was $149 at Sports Authority (Oregon). It is "moisture" proof, but not water proof. If you are a swimmer, I would suggest spending the extra $100 to get the FitBit Surge. I am also a big fan of the app that loads onto your computer or mobile device during initial setup. All of your meals entered into MFP sync back to their app. One of the biggest complaints I read online about the Fitbit is that the band would come undone and it would easily fall off. The new Charge HR has a band much like a watch, so there is no chance of it falling off. I hope this is helpful. B)

Totally agree with this! I also have the Charge HR and love it! My friends have Fitbits too so really helps to keep me motivated watching their progress too. :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    @acros812
    What activities do you do? What data do you want to track?

Most of the replies you'll get here will follow the "I have a (insert device here) and love it" without even bothering to ask what you are really looking for. See @mckat08 's reply as an example.

DC Rainmaker (dcrainmaker.com) does tests of the various devices then lists the pros and cons ... to include the often inaccurate HR data during exercise from wrist mounted HR trackers like the Charge and Surge ... a trend also noted by CNET in their reviews.

This. It really depends on what your goals are and what you want to track.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    A question within a thread but has anyone tried the Fitbit surge for swimming? Does it hold up ok?
  • acros812
    acros812 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @brianpperkins I am really trying to track calories burned and exercise. Sleep is not important to me. Waterproof is not important. Bottom line, I'm here for weight loss and keeping track of my activity.
  • acros812
    acros812 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @brianpperkins sorry you also asked me what activities I do. I run on the treadmill / cycle / use arc trainer sometimes. I also weight train
  • aarobins79
    aarobins79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    acros812 wrote: »
    hey guys so I'm really thinking about buying a fitness tracker (Fitbit/jawbone etc). I'm not too concerned with expense but I want to get something worth my money.

What (in your opinion) is the best fitness tracker out there?? I don't want to just read online reviews because sometimes those are just promos!

Thank you!!!

-A

Definitely spend the extra money if you have it for GPS if you cycle otherwise you will need to wear a smartphone and use an app to try to figure out distance/calories and add it to your day. I have fitbit, my parents have garmin, if I had it to do over with I'd go garmin.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What exercises you do matters. It determines which devices, if any of them, actually would come close to giving you what you want. For cycling, a step tracker is useless ... a GPS, HRM, and cadence meter can come close ... power meters are the most accurate (and most costly). A treadmill requires something that can track steps (preferably with the ability to calibrate the device to actual distance covered on the treadmill) and possibly a HRM. For weight lifting, none of them is accurate including HRMs. Arc trainers really don't fit into the design and programming of activity trackers ... it's just too unique of a device that doesn't have the testing behind it to determine burn.

Not a single tracker actually tracks calories burned .... none of them. They either use HR or movement as a proxy for effort and use that in a formula to estimate calories. A HR of 150 is meaningless on its own. That HR, during a specified activity, scaled against an established HR range for you, with a known weight/age/gender/VO2 Max can produce a reasonable estimate ... still not a calorie count.

A few threads to read.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159044/hrms-cannot-count-calories-during-strength-training#latest

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/774337
  • aarobins79
    aarobins79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    And, I'd do GPS I think theirs are more accurate. The garmin also has reminders if you are inactive and sets goals for you based on your activity. I have the charge HR from fitbit and compared to all that they have in theirs I find it lacking when I strap on a phone and try to "guess" what I got out of a bike ride or other fitness activity the garmin has a built in mode for.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I like my jawbone...personally.

It does everything you need plus it syncs well with mapmyfitness and mfp.

Easy to use (original one anyway)

I use it for weight lifting, biking, walking, running etc (timed activity) in conjunction with mapmyfitness.

I can calibrate it after each workout (timed activity)

Just as perspective my Jawbone gives me about 30 calories for 10mins of heavy lifting..."in the zone" effort....
  • kerbeya1
    kerbeya1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If your are doing something with weight training and money isn't an issue I've run across this awesome product liveathos.com clothing that tracks you work out shows you your forms. If squating and deadlift or something that uses both legs or arms at the same time it will show you which is doing more work that the other to help fix your problems.