Mental motivation - runners!!!

Options
So I'm starting to run more and I'm really having a hard time breaking that mental block to run more than a mile (I know sound pathetic) cardio has never been my forte. Lifting has always been a favorite of mine, but to really trim down I wanna run - how did you break that mental barrier?

Replies

• akirkman86
    akirkman86 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    For me it's all about getting through the initial difficulty and breaking into the "I could do this forever" zone. Even still, running the first few miles is a lot harder. Once I get through about 2-4, I hit that point where it's easy. Mentally, often long runs are easier for me than short runs because I just KNOW that I'm going to keep going for a long time. What's another mile (9-10 minutes) whenI know I'll be running for 90 minutes? It's so mental though. Believe that you can do it and that's at least half the battle. Also feeling well-fueled and comfortable... I like to wake up, have coffee and a cliff bar (or similar), use the bathroom, hydrate, and then hit the pavement. Even wearing comfortable, great work-out clothes makes a difference. It's all about positive perspective and knowing that you're going to have a good rn. Even still, some days will suck.. but the more you do it, the more you gain confidence in yourself.

I would start by setting small goals for yourself. If you ran one mile, try to run 1.25 miles next time... or if you ran for 10 minutes, try to make it for 12 minutes. I started with the couch to 5k and that helped me a lot because I knew... okay, I am going to run for ten minutes, but then I'll be able to walk for a few minutes. I gradually increased the amount of time iwas going to run. The first time I ran 3 miles, I thought I would die... now that's a really short run for me. Just keep at it and know that it gets easier! Good luck!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    The key to beginning to run is to run SLOWLY! Run at a pace that feels comfortable and sustainable. You have to enjoy it. If you are dreading your runs, you are not going to do it. As akirkman86 said, set small goals. And don't focus on the big picture (i.e. how much you have left to go), but focus on enjoying where you are in the present moment. How good it feels to be out there in the beautiful out doors, doing something good for yourself. And did I mention slow down and enjoy it? That really is the key.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have trouble getting motivated to run, too. Once I get a couple km down, I enjoy it, but getting out of the house is hard. Looking forward to reading some tips :)
  • kminjee
    kminjee Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    akirkman86 wrote: »
    For me it's all about getting through the initial difficulty and breaking into the "I could do this forever" zone. Even still, running the first few miles is a lot harder. Once I get through about 2-4, I hit that point where it's easy. Mentally, often long runs are easier for me than short runs because I just KNOW that I'm going to keep going for a long time. What's another mile (9-10 minutes) whenI know I'll be running for 90 minutes? It's so mental though. Believe that you can do it and that's at least half the battle. Also feeling well-fueled and comfortable... I like to wake up, have coffee and a cliff bar (or similar), use the bathroom, hydrate, and then hit the pavement. Even wearing comfortable, great work-out clothes makes a difference. It's all about positive perspective and knowing that you're going to have a good rn. Even still, some days will suck.. but the more you do it, the more you gain confidence in yourself.

I would start by setting small goals for yourself. If you ran one mile, try to run 1.25 miles next time... or if you ran for 10 minutes, try to make it for 12 minutes. I started with the couch to 5k and that helped me a lot because I knew... okay, I am going to run for ten minutes, but then I'll be able to walk for a few minutes. I gradually increased the amount of time iwas going to run. The first time I ran 3 miles, I thought I would die... now that's a really short run for me. Just keep at it and know that it gets easier! Good luck!
    Thanks so much for the helpful information. Maybe I'll give that 5k couch thing a go and see if that helps! Would you say it differs on where you run wether it's outside or in?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    that's why I cycle...

i tried to force running for months and months way back when and never could get into it. i made myself do it but never enjoyed it. since i was already running though, i decided to sign up and train for a sprint triathlon with my mom which meant i had to dust off the old bike (POS).

i hadn't ridden in ages, but i pretty much immediately fell in love with it. i never did end up doing that tri as i injured myself about a week before the race...but i did fall in love with my bike and got rid of the POS and bought myself a nice ride.

now, if you see me running, you best be running as well...and you'll have plenty of motivation too because if i'm running, some bad *kitten* is about to go down.

i could be wrong, but it seems to me that you're either a runner or not. my wife is a runner...she loves running...she could run and run and run...she's like Forest Gump or something with her running. she's always loved it and has never had issues motivating herself to get out and do it.

i only mention it because it seems to me that a lot of people on MFP force themselves into doing things they don't really like doing simply because they think that's what they're supposed to do...when in reality they would enjoy themselves much more finding a fitness activity that they actually enjoy. i personally never lack the motivation to get out there and ride...i love being in the saddle.
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I listen to music when I run. I find that when I have a good few tracks that I sing along to I don't really notice the time go past and I end up going further than I thought.
    The same goes for running with a buddy, you'll be so busy chatting you don't notice the distance at all. You can also encourage each other to go that little bit further (just to that tree, to the end of the road)
    The hardest part is getting your shoes on and going out the door so you're already beating the most difficult mental barrier. :)