Girls who Lift

hey! I'm new to this group and would love to share tips and tricks with other women who love to lift and strength train!

Replies

• BeckieB2015
    BeckieB2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Hey girl! I have been on here for a short while...very interested in strength training. Any tips are welcome!
  • sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    Hey ya'll. What type of tips are you looking for?
  • KymPossible84
    KymPossible84 Posts: 5 Member
    So hard to reach my protein intake for the day! I know it's important for muscle recovery, any tips on how you increase your protein??
  • sealensfit
    So hard to reach my protein intake for the day! I know it's important for muscle recovery, any tips on how you increase your protein??

I find protein snacks like whey protein shakes or protein bars (I personally like Quest bars and Pro-Max bars, and Mutant and Cellucor powder). I find I can't eat enough to get the amount of protein I need without using some sort of supplement!
  • sealensfit

Also, you can try drinking BCAAs if you like to lift. It helps with protein synthesis, so it aids recovery as well. ☺
  • KymPossible84
    KymPossible84 Posts: 5 Member
    I agree Meagan! I have all max bcaas but I don't find they work very well. I also tried shredz but wasn't impressed. What brand do you use?
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    I drink a protein shake, it gets my protein higher but I never reach what is recommended.
  • nickycat73
    nickycat73 Posts: 61 Member
    I use Dymatize brand protein and love the flavors.
  • aliciasilfies
    aliciasilfies Posts: 179 Member
    Hello all! I've recently started strength training and am also struggling with hitting my protein goals. I feel like I need to eat steak and chicken breasts nonstop in order to hit it! Definitely not feasible for me!!

My brother (who is a former MMA fighter/still trains like one) has given me tons of tips since I've started and has recently recommended Quest bars to me. I just ordered a box online. Hoping they are as delicious as everyone on these threads claim!
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    Protein powder in my oatmeal and a side of cottage cheese to pretty much every meal helps me to hit protein goals. My problem is fats. I eat peanut butter pretty much every evening... (I'm not complaining!)
  • AntiSocialyte
    AntiSocialyte Posts: 28 Member
    My brother (who is a former MMA fighter/still trains like one) has given me tons of tips since I've started and has recently recommended Quest bars to me. I just ordered a box online. Hoping they are as delicious as everyone on these threads claim!

Quest bars are by far my favorite protein bar. The protein-to-calorie ratio is awesome, and they really do taste good! I just finished my box of Oreo cookie ones and need to buy another.

• Tbias78
    Tbias78 Posts: 120 Member
    I'm just getting back into lifting after not doing it for 15 years! I also struggle with protein...I agree with Quest bars - they aren't to bad to swallow and I use Jay Robb powder but I see a lot of people using the Dymatize and they have some yummy looking flavors so I'm thinking of giving it a try!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    I eat eggs/egg whites for breakfast scrambled with turkey.
    Have tuna or smoked salmon as a snack.
    Eat chicken breast at lunch.
    Eat a protein at dinner as well.

It feels like a lot, but with some planning you can hit your protein goals. I regularly hit 150-200 grams a day.
  • velmada
    velmada Posts: 9 Member
    What are you goals for protein? I am for around 100g p/day (i'm 5ft1 and that's plenty for me). I find I can do that easily as long as I'm organised - I always cook chicken two or three times a week and have around 150g of chicken breast + veg for an easy work lunch, and then with having milk and some form of protein for my evening meal I generally hit it without supplements. I do sometimes have a protein shake at breakfast but thats more about having something filling when i'm in a rush rather than a proper need!
  • aliciasilfies
    aliciasilfies Posts: 179 Member

Quest bars are by far my favorite protein bar. The protein-to-calorie ratio is awesome, and they really do taste good! I just finished my box of Oreo cookie ones and need to buy another.

Glad to hear! I actually ordered the Oreo ones! Can't wait to try them :)
  • sealensfit
    I agree Meagan! I have all max bcaas but I don't find they work very well. I also tried shredz but wasn't impressed. What brand do you use?

My favourite BCAA is Mutant's and the Blue Raspberry flavour is awesome :) the only other one I've tried is Cellucor's in Watermelon, which I don't find works as well... tastes like jello though lol
  • sealensfit
    Hello all! I've recently started strength training and am also struggling with hitting my protein goals. I feel like I need to eat steak and chicken breasts nonstop in order to hit it! Definitely not feasible for me!!

I really like the cookies n cream one, and the white chocolate raspberry. I just picked up a s'mores one, but haven't tried it yet! whatever you do, don't eat them cold. I made the mistake of putting mine in my lunch bag in the fridge at work and it was like eating a piece of leather, haha. I usually stick it on my dashboard with the heat on on my way home from the gym to warm mine up, otherwise you can stick it on a plate and microwave it for like 10 seconds :) it makes it taste way better!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Ugh. You guys can have some of my protein. I get an unnecessary amount. Meat for lunch and dinner, greek yogurt, frozen yogurt, quest bars. I got 166 grams today and only weigh between 130-133.
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    I strength train to help with my running. Hit the gym tonight actually and I feel great!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Protein powder in my oatmeal and a side of cottage cheese to pretty much every meal helps me to hit protein goals. My problem is fats. I eat peanut butter pretty much every evening... (I'm not complaining!)

I actually need to get more fats in. I just love high volume eating so much, I tend to skip out on fat. I keep saying I'm going to fix it up but I don't.