Another skin question

Options
So... Wisdom dictates losing weight slowly will give your skin the best chance of staying tight.
I am totally in agreement. But I have a question. If I lose weight faster will my skin eventually get as tight as if I had lost weight slowly? Or will it always be a little more loose?
My extra pounds seem to be dropping off at a satisfying rate, and I don't really want to go any slower. I understand that my skin may be baggy, but in the long term does it make a difference?
It's not super speedy weight loss, 1.5 - 2lbs a week, but I'm only 7lbs from goal.

Replies

• Linovitz
    Linovitz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have lost 56 pound over a year. I have a bit of skin bagginess in the stomach area. Not too bad unless I lean over. Can't see it in clothes. during my weight loss I did cardio and weight lifting including some ab work, but nothing crazy in that area.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    No way to say for sure. Your age, amount you have to lose in total, and genetics will all play a factor.
  • goaliesmate
    goaliesmate Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It depends on the natural elasticity of your skin. Mine has shrunk back and thickened. If it is 'looser' it is because it is less stretched. Scarring from stretch marks is still very much in evidence.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    It varies by person. But some of what people think is lose skin is still excess fat. I am still a few pounds from goal, but I have lost a lost a lot of weight (going from obese to a healthy BMI). At various points some areas started to look bad with lots of loose skin. However, after losing a few more pounds those areas started to look better. I think without the remaining excess fat, the skin isn't weighed down and has a chance to tighten up. I know that isn't very "scientific" but that is how it seems in my case. Will it tighten up 100%? I don't know, but I think it will improve at least.
  • katerinabowler
    katerinabowler Posts: 32 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I guess it's true that there's no way to know for sure! My skin isn't too bad. It's crepey on my tummy when lit from above, but that's from pregnancy mostly. I've still got cellulite too, on my legs and bottom, but I think, unless I build some serious muscle, that it's here to stay!
    Thank you for your input.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Useful subject thank you. I wondered about this myself.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    7 lbs from goal?! Why don't you take it easy? You have 7 lbs to lose and save as much muscle as possible. That will help with the appearance of saggy skin.