Desk Job/Food Days

Options
Hi all! I have been at my current job for almost 2 years, this is my first desk job "cubicle life" experience. I must say I hate it! The chair I have is awful, we have food days for almost every occasion (a cake once a month for the birthdays) and during our quarterly meetings it's typically pizza/subs. So I just wanted to share a small victory I had today, during our quarterly meeting I skipped the catered lunch and took my own lunch ...& survived! Hah I'm sure others with desk jobs can relate! Also, here's a reminder of how much "just one pound" is: plmhhb4b5h38.jpg

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Nice! Little victories add up quickly! We have a vendor at my work that brings in donuts every week. Of course, they're all my favs. This week he brought in two boxes on two concurrent days! XP To make matters worse, they always put them on the table right by my desk. I can smell them all day long and they're within arm's reach.

This week, however, I had a little victory myself and was able to abstain on both days. It felt really good to say no!
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Nice job. It's tough when there are treats around the office. What I do is abstain unless it's something I reeeeelly must have. Cake? Meh. Cookies? Double meh. Pizza? Two slices please! :) Luckily we rarely have food in.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job, and regular food bought for us by the company, but I generally stay away unless it's on a day where I've killed it in the gym before work in the morning. That isn't because I restrict myself to certain foods, but rather that the foods they order are usually so high in calories that it would be impossible to be sated with a single serving.

I'd rather eat bigger meals filled with lower calorie foods which equal out to the same calorie expenditure.
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My old office was like that, one day they closed the office down and took us to an Italian restaurant. Was buffet style and we would have everything we wanted. Just need to have limits
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    my office has free pizza on mondays, free donuts on fridays, free brownies once a month and random cookouts and i skip them all. If i wouldn't bring it for lunch, then having it for free doesn't really do anything for me.
  • scotvalkyrie
    scotvalkyrie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I can relate to stuck stuck at a desk -- and nearly everyone here eats lunch at their desks! I'm the receptionist, but I was trying to get up every hour to 90 minutes to walk a couple quick laps around the inside of the building. I'd be gone from my desk 5 minutes. However, I got the kibosh on that because someone complained that then there's no one at the front desk for the few minutes I'm gone. This, from the people who never return their phone calls so I've got incoming calls from people screaming at me. No wonder I need to get up from the desk!

Okay, vent over, I guess I just need to do laps around the lobby. :p
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I wish instead of having free food days they could give employees free gym memberships instead. ;)
  • DBostdorf
    DBostdorf Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Nice! Little victories add up quickly! We have a vendor at my work that brings in donuts every week. Of course, they're all my favs. This week he brought in two boxes on two concurrent days! XP To make matters worse, they always put them on the table right by my desk. I can smell them all day long and they're within arm's reach.

This week, however, I had a little victory myself and was able to abstain on both days. It felt really good to say no!
    lol! Yes for St.Pattys day we had a counter FULL of dips, macaroni salad ugh (I don't have a sweet tooth I love chips, dips, fries etc.) I was so proud to not give in, which proves we can do it! But kudos to you as well, keep it up!!
  • DBostdorf
    Options
    I wish instead of having free food days they could give employees free gym memberships instead. ;)
    AMEN!! I did find out my job, if you have our insurance, it's called HealthWays (I think) and it's $50 to sign up, $25/mo and whatever gyms participate you can go to (it's the main Golds, LA, Planet Fitness, and some local ones) but I don't see the need of multiple memberships but it is nice!

• DBostdorf
    Options
    I can relate to stuck stuck at a desk -- and nearly everyone here eats lunch at their desks! I'm the receptionist, but I was trying to get up every hour to 90 minutes to walk a couple quick laps around the inside of the building. I'd be gone from my desk 5 minutes. However, I got the kibosh on that because someone complained that then there's no one at the front desk for the few minutes I'm gone. This, from the people who never return their phone calls so I've got incoming calls from people screaming at me. No wonder I need to get up from the desk!

Okay, vent over, I guess I just need to do laps around the lobby. :p
    Ugh, no that would be frustrating! Stay focused and positive though, do your laps proudly :)
  • DBostdorf
    Options
    GingerSka wrote: »
    Nice job. It's tough when there are treats around the office. What I do is abstain unless it's something I reeeeelly must have. Cake? Meh. Cookies? Double meh. Pizza? Two slices please! :) Luckily we rarely have food in.
    Hollaaa!! Pizza is my weakness also
  • DBostdorf
    Options
    GingerSka wrote: »
    the rest of my comment cut off, but have you ever tried cauliflower crust pizza?? It's not the same but it's soo yummy!!
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    If I can keep myself out of the cube where the food is, I can will myself through eating it. If I see the food, I eat the food. Ah, it's awful. Thankfully we don't have many potlucks anymore and they set them up far enough away that I am not tempted.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Congrats to alla y'all who've withstood the free food lure.

It might be worth asking The Powers That Be if it'd be possible to order some salads or such as well as the pizzas, barbecue and whatnot. Maybe even suggest a survey to find out how many people would prefer that. I mean, pizza's easy. Most people like it. But if it's catered, it's all easy. :)

Ms Laugh (Ms Bwahahahaha!? <g>), is there any other table or counter where the doughnuts would be farther from your desk?